The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
2) Lowering the basket height would ABSOLUTELY increase FG %.
Other than increasing dunks, which might nudge the overall percentage up a tad ... why do you think a lower basket would increase FG%? It might at the ages that actually have trouble throwing it that high... but not with high school or above.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I will just throw this out there....

Several years ago, I was officiating in a few different Boys and Girls Clubs in my area. One club decided to use 9 foot rims for their youngest league, I think it was 8 and 9 year olds. Those games usually ended up with scores in the 40's for each team, depending on the players skill levels. At the other clubs where they kept the 10 foot rims for the same age group, it was rare to see a team score much above 20 points for a game, same length of game time.

Maybe some parallels????
I don't think there are any parallels here...on one hand, you are talking about young kids who physically can't chuck the ball that high. On the other, you are talking about 19-23/24 year old women who most certainly can.

The NCAA and Fed. have already made the ball smaller to accomodate the women players not having the same physical strength as the male players...to now also lower the rim is simply ridiculous, imo.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Other than increasing dunks, which might nudge the overall percentage up a tad ... why do you think a lower basket would increase FG%? It might at the ages that actually have trouble throwing it that high... but not with high school or above.
Not to speak for twocents, let me take a stab at it.

Many shots that would go through a 10' basket would also go through a 9' basket (high arcing shots I should think). Then low arcing shots which would not go through (or perhaps even hit) a 10' basket should go through a 9' basket.

If the number of low arcing shots gained is bigger than the number lost (and I don't see why it shouldn't be), it will take less accuracy to hit the basket and shooting percentage should go up.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Not to speak for twocents, let me take a stab at it.

Many shots that would go through a 10' basket would also go through a 9' basket (high arcing shots I should think). Then low arcing shots which would not go through (or perhaps even hit) a 10' basket should go through a 9' basket.

If the number of low arcing shots gained is bigger than the number lost (and I don't see why it shouldn't be), it will take less accuracy to hit the basket and shooting percentage should go up.
If lowering the basket by a foot would allow those low arcing shots of which you speak to actually enter the basket, then those shots must currently be hitting somewhere near the bottom of the net...I am not buying that.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I will just throw this out there....

Several years ago, I was officiating in a few different Boys and Girls Clubs in my area. One club decided to use 9 foot rims for their youngest league, I think it was 8 and 9 year olds. Those games usually ended up with scores in the 40's for each team, depending on the players skill levels. At the other clubs where they kept the 10 foot rims for the same age group, it was rare to see a team score much above 20 points for a game, same length of game time.

Maybe some parallels????
For those ages, it was probably common for several shots to not even make it 10' above the floor. That is due to a gross lack of skill and lack of strength. Women (usually) are much taller and stronger than 8 and 9 year old kids.