The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 02:27pm
Often wrong never n doubt

time out positions

In the officials manual on pg 39. C2 is states during a 60-second time-out interval, the administering official should take ball to where it will be put in play. I can not find where the official should go during a 30-second time-out. In my first few contests of my rookie season I have went to the spot where the ball will be put in play. Is this correct?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
In the officials manual on pg 39. C2 is states during a 60-second time-out interval, the administering official should take ball to where it will be put in play. I can not find where the official should go during a 30-second time-out. In my first few contests of my rookie season I have went to the spot where the ball will be put in play. Is this correct?
Diagram 2-25, page 39 shows the administering official at the throw-in spot for both 30 and 60 sec time outs. Agree that C-2 should read During all time-outs.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, same mechanic for either 60 or 30 sec T.O.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 02:57pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Thanks guys!
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

And note that the administering official has absolutely no relationship to who granted and reported the timeout or who was covering on-ball action.

It is the official who, before the whistle was blown for the timeout, had coverage of the line where the post-timeout throw-in is to occur (which is the spot nearest the ball if during a live ball). Regardless of who granted the timeout, either one could be the administering official.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 04:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And note that the administering official has absolutely no relationship to who granted and reported the timeout or who was covering on-ball action.

It is the official who, before the whistle was blown for the timeout, had coverage of the line where the post-timeout throw-in is to occur (which is the spot nearest the ball if during a live ball). Regardless of who granted the timeout, either one could be the administering official.
This is one thing that has never been a big deal anywhere I've worked.

We freely switch positions on a timeout, both 2-person and 3-person to reduce the number of steps we have to take. Until I read someone mention this here, I had never even heard of it -- and I've worked in 6 different states.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 05:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

We freely switch positions on a timeout, both 2-person and 3-person to reduce the number of steps we have to take. Until I read someone mention this here, I had never even heard of it -- and I've worked in 6 different states.
I agree this is a minor issue. Usually the crew talks on some level and we only stand in the proper spot when honestly not much is going on. Really the main times peopel stand in the proper spot is during the 30 second timeout because it is so short.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

While there actually is a procedure defined in the mechanics manual, it is certainly a minor issue. If I work with a partner who is going to the "wrong" spot, I just fill in the other spot and smile.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While there actually is a procedure defined in the mechanics manual, it is certainly a minor issue. If I work with a partner who is going to the "wrong" spot, I just fill in the other spot and smile.
So much better than the guy I worked with in my first game ever when I of course ended up in the wrong spot. He yelled at me from across the court to move over.

Of the many things I did wrong in my first game this was the one he was most vocal about.

I was good later when he called a foul on #5 white when he meant #55 and simply went to him and said he had the wrong person. #5 was standing by himself in front of me off the play. I guess I could have yelled, hey, wrong guy!