The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Please verify the correct mechanic for a time out and between quarters. It is understood that the official will be at the block during a full time out and at the arc during a 30 sec. time out. Where does the ball go?

Is there a ref on the spot with the ball to start the next live ball?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS mechanics

Between quarters, on the block. The Referee will have the ball holding it on the side of the direction the arrow is pointing.

On full TO, the administering official holds the ball on the side of the direction of the team that will get the ball. Both will be on the lower blocks.

On 30 sec, adminestering official holds ball on the side of the direction of the team that will get the ball. Both official are at the top of arcs.

At first horn, each official should inform the coaches, then go to there spots for the throw in.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

In a three-man crew, Damian is correct for positioning with regard to 30/full. However, the third official will remain at the throw-in spot (or on the court in front of it if in front of the benches) with the ball.

In a two-man crew, the administering official stays at the throw-in spot and the other official stands on the half-court line either close to the opposite side of the court (full) or close to the table (30).
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
In a three-man crew, Damian is correct for positioning with regard to 30/full. However, the third official will remain at the throw-in spot (or on the court in front of it if in front of the benches) with the ball.

In a two-man crew, the administering official stays at the throw-in spot and the other official stands on the half-court line either close to the opposite side of the court (full) or close to the table (30).
Mark, you'd be correct if it were last year. However, they've changed it this year. In two man, there is one official on each block for a 60 and one at the top of the arc for a 30.

(BTW, both lenghts are full if the teams take the entire allowed time )
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 07:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Mark, you'd be correct if it were last year. However, they've changed it this year. In two man, there is one official on each block for a 60 and one at the top of the arc for a 30.

(BTW, both lenghts are full if the teams take the entire allowed time )
One at the top of EACH arc on a 30.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for this? I like having an official at the throw in spot.

Rich
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I dislike it too. In two man coaches could look up during a TO and see where the inbound spot was. Now, they won;t know and we have to remember where and who. Previoulsy you could be at the spot and hold the ball in the direction the ball was going as a reminder to yourself. YOu can still do that, but now have to remember the spot.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by caref
I dislike it too. In two man coaches could look up during a TO and see where the inbound spot was. Now, they won;t know and we have to remember where and who. Previoulsy you could be at the spot and hold the ball in the direction the ball was going as a reminder to yourself. YOu can still do that, but now have to remember the spot.
Coaches agree with you, too, caref. I had several complain last year.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

I like it. In fact, I pre-gamed with several partners to do it this way last year.
In my area we work the large school varsity games 3-man, but the small school games and all JV and Frosh games are done 2-man. It pleases me that the TO spots are now virtually the same for both systems. Plus I always felt uneasy standing out there at the center restraining circle all by myself during the TOs in 2-man.
As for the coaches knowing the location of the ensuing throw-in, now they just have to pay attention a bit better or ask which will cost them some time during the TO.