The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:48pm
This IS My Social Life

Proper Positions during Time Out?

The Fed Officials' Manual (2006-07), p.45, counsels the two-man crew where to stand during a time-out: at the top of the free throw circles for a 30 second timeout, and at the boxes for a 60 second timeout.
Have there been any changes to this?
An alternative some have been practicing is this: one official with the ball at the location where the ball will next be put in play (throw-in or free-throw), and the other official on the center circle nearest the table for a 30, and farthest from the table for a 60.
I see beneficial things about this alternative practice, but don't know if it's something I picked up from guys I've worked with or from summer camp.
Our state didn't send out an officials' manual beyond the years 2006-07, and maybe I've missed something new.
Can you clarify for me what the current official Fed positions are supposed to be in this situation?
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I believe this changed going into the 07-08 season. One at the ball, and one on the division line.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO, Two Person, Timeouts, Intermissions ...

IAABO Two Person Timeouts:
Official who grants timeout stays at the division line, tableside edge of the center circle for a 30 second timeout, opposite tableside edge of the center circle for 60 second timeout. Nongranting official stays at throwin spot, with the ball; or on foul line, with the ball, at the elbow in line with partner.

IAABO Two Person Intermissions:
Referee stands at division line, opposite table, on sideline, with the ball. Umpire stands on the neutral block, opposite tableside, in the direction that the ball will be going.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Two Person Timeouts:
Official who grants timeout stays at the division line, tableside edge of the center circle for a 30 second timeout, opposite tableside edge of the center circle for 60 second timeout. Nongranting official stays at throwin spot, with the ball; or on foul line, with the ball, at the elbow in line with partner.
The way we do it with FED is exactly like this except the two are switched. The official who grants the timeout goes back to the throw-in spot and the non-calling official goes to the center circle, front or back depending on the timeout.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
personally working two-man even at the state tourney, I liked the 06-07 mechanic, as both officials could notify teams of first horn, second horn and get to spots in enough time to keep things moving. with new mechanic especially on a bigger floor you run by one bench yelling first horn to get to the second team and make sure they are notified as well. Fine for 3-man but IMHO not as good for 2-man.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The way we do it with FED is exactly like this except the two are switched. The official who grants the timeout goes back to the throw-in spot and the non-calling official goes to the center circle, front or back depending on the timeout.

Your method and Billy's method both require the officials to sometimes switch (not that this is "wrong", just pointing it out -- in fact, it's what I would prefer). Some states (here, for example, iirc) have the officials set so there is no switch. One will be a the inbound spot, tyhe other at the division line.

So, to the OP -- do what is expected in your area.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Except that is not FED either.

FED mechanics have the official who is responsible for the line where the throwin will occur marking the spot. That may be the calling official or the non-calling official depending on the location of the ball when the timeout is granted. It may be the lead or the trail. There may be a switch or there may not be.

Imagine a defensive violation at the spot of the ball instead of a timeout. Who would administer that throwin? That is who will mark the spot while the other official goes to the division line. Whoever granted the timeout still reports in either case.

Example 1 : A4 has the ball on the baseline when A1 requests a timeout that is granted by the trail. Lead marks the spot, trail reports then goes to the division line. After the timeout, the trail returns to the trail.

Example 2: A4 has the ball on the baseline when A4 requests a timeout that is granted by the lead. Lead reports the timeout and then marks the spot, trail goes to the division line. After the timeout, the trail returns to the trail.

Example 3: A2 has the ball on the lead's sideline above the FT line extended when A1 requests a timeout that is granted by the trail. Lead marks the spot, trail reports then goes to the division line. After the timeout, the trail becomes the new lead.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO, Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Your method and Billy's method both require the officials to sometimes switch. Some states have the officials set so there is no switch. One will be a the inbound spot, the other at the division line. Do what is expected in your area.
Actually, IAABO tells us not to switch: 2007-08 IAABO Two Person Mechanics Manual, Page 63, Timeout Procedures: "W. Officials do not switch positions during a timeout, positions are to be as prior to the timeout being granted".

By our own local board mechanics, we do not allow the "bumping", or passing off, of a timeout. If the lead official grants the timeout, no matter how far away he, or she, is from the table, only he, or she, can go to the reporting area to report the timeout, after which, he or she, will go back to his, or her, position as prior to the timeout being granted. We also have another local mechanic: "Officials should be at that position after the time out is reported to the scorer/timer", meaning that the granting official goes back to his, or her, position immediately after the timeout is reported, not after the warning horn, or the final horn, sounds.

I can't believe that IAABO tells us not to switch, but fails to tell us whether we should "bump", or not, and fails to tell us when we should go back to our positions, right away, warning horn, or final horn. Our local, and state board, does a better job with mechanics than those published by the International Association. I wish we still used NFHS mechanics. As good ole Charlie Brown used to say, "Good grief".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Except that is not FED either.

FED mechanics have the official who is responsible for the line where the throwin will occur marking the spot. That may be the calling official or the non-calling official depending on the location of the ball when the timeout is granted. It may be the lead or the trail. There may be a switch or there may not be.

Imagine a defensive violation at the spot of the ball instead of a timeout. Who would administer that throwin? That is who will mark the spot while the other official goes to the division line. Whoever granted the timeout still reports in either case.

Example 1 : A4 has the ball on the baseline when A1 requests a timeout that is granted by the trail. Lead marks the spot, trail reports then goes to the division line. After the timeout, the trail returns to the trail.

Example 2: A4 has the ball on the baseline when A4 requests a timeout that is granted by the lead. Lead reports the timeout and then marks the spot, trail goes to the division line. After the timeout, the trail returns to the trail.

Example 3: A2 has the ball on the lead's sideline above the FT line extended when A1 requests a timeout that is granted by the trail. Lead marks the spot, trail reports then goes to the division line. After the timeout, the trail becomes the new lead.
I understand what you're saying. Our rules interpreter has told us to do it the way we do in several different rules meetings and association meetings since last year, so that's the way we do it.