The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
false double foul
B1 fouls A1. A1 doesn't take too kindly to B1 fouling him and shoves him. WHACK!

False double foul
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
B1 fouls A1. A1 doesn't take too kindly to B1 fouling him and shoves him. WHACK!

False double foul
The reality is you do not call a false double foul, they happen as a result of continuous action. In other words you do go to the table and say you have a "false double foul," you administer them and most of them make total sense like this example given. A multiple foul you have to call because you are going to award a foul to two different players and then shoot FTs accordingly if appropriate.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The reality is you do not call a false double foul, they happen as a result of continuous action. In other words you do go to the table and say you have a "false double foul," you administer them and most of them make total sense like this example given. A multiple foul you have to call because you are going to award a foul to two different players and then shoot FTs accordingly if appropriate.

Peace
What is this multiple foul you speak of?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What is this multiple foul you speak of?
I am not sure, I have never seen one. I think I read it somewhere.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 12:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The captain requesting a match-up following a substitution of three or more by his opponents.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This happen in the SEC Championship game about 7 or 8 years ago. I saw this live on TV and was shocked.

Peace
Don't make your self age so quickly. It wasn't nearly that long ago...it was in 2008.

It was the boneheaded idea of Billy Gillespie to tell one of Kentucky's players to goaltend the FT. His desire was to force the score to be awarded instead of allowing the clock to start on the obvious deliberate miss that was going to occur....there was about 1 second left on the clock and the shooting team was already up by 2. The only problem was that he didn't know that the GT also came with a T in that case....as it should.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Don't make your self age so quickly. It wasn't nearly that long ago...it was in 2008.

It was the boneheaded idea of Billy Gillespie to tell one of Kentucky's players to goaltend the FT. His desire was to force the score to be awarded instead of allowing the clock to start on the obvious deliberate miss that was going to occur....there was about 1 second left on the clock and the shooting team was already up by 2. The only problem was that he didn't know that the GT also came with a T in that case....as it should.
That description sounds eerily similar to the clip I posted earlier...oh wait....

Quote:

Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Falsies ...

4.19.9 SITUATION A: A1 leaps high and is fouled by B1 as he/she taps the ball
which subsequently goes through A’s basket. A1 fouls B2 in returning to the floor.
RULING: This is a false double foul. The foul by B1 does not cause the ball to
become dead. However, the player-control foul by A1 does cause the ball to
become dead and also dictates that no goal can be scored. Since the goal is not
scored, A1 is awarded two free throws for the foul by B1. No players are allowed
along the lane as Team B will be awarded the ball following the last free throw. If
the last throw is successful, the throw-in is from anywhere along the end line. If
the last throw is unsuccessful, the throw-in is from a designated spot nearest the
foul. (4-1; 4-11; 4-41-1; 6-7-7 Exception c: 6-7-4; 7-5-4a)

4.19.9 SITUATION B: B1 holds A1, whose team is in the bonus. A1 is successful
in both free-throw attempts. While B1 is making the throw-in from behind
the end line, A1 pushes B2 near midcourt. Team B is or is not in the bonus situation.
RULING: If Team B is in the bonus, B2 is either awarded a one-and-one and
the ball remains in play if either free-throw attempt touches the basket ring but is
not successful, or is awarded two free throws and the ball remains in play if the
second is unsuccessful. If the last free-throw attempt by B2 is successful, Team
A shall put the ball in play from out of bounds anywhere along the end line by B’s
basket. If Team B is not in the bonus, it is awarded the ball for a throw-in from a
designated spot out of bounds nearest to where the foul occurred. Penalties are
administered in the order in which the fouls occurred. (7-5-4a)

4.19.9 SITUATION C: A1 has a breakaway lay-up. B1 commits a hard foul
against A1 from behind and is called for an intentional foul. The Team A head
coach protests, feeling the foul should have been a flagrant foul and is assessed
a technical foul. RULING: Award A1's goal if successful. A1 shall receive two free
throws with the lane spaces cleared. Any Team B player is then awarded two free
throws for the technical foul. Team B will be awarded the ball for a throw-in at the
division line opposite the scorers table.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 07:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Well 2008 to me seems like 7 or 8 years ago to me personally.

A lot has gone on in my officiating life since then as well so it seems like it was a long time ago. I just know it happened, I was not exactly sure when but remember the play that APG referenced mainly because I use this clip in my class that I teach in the fall as the only example of a GT on a FT. I also thought the reason they moved the SEC Championship Tournament that year was because of Hurricane Katrina, because playing at that facility was certainly a last minute change if I remember correctly which happen in 2005 and why I said 7 or 8 years ago. I guess there was some other reason for the change.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The captain requesting a match-up following a substitution of three or more by his opponents.
Nope. Seen it. I actually had an intramural teammate request one when I was in college in the 80s. The poor guys on the game - fellow students - had no idea what he was talking about.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 09:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Nope. Seen it. I actually had an intramural teammate request one when I was in college in the 80s. The poor guys on the game - fellow students - had no idea what he was talking about.
A buddy of mine had it happen in a JV game. Subbing coach threw a fit. A few games later, the coach saw the official at another game and showed him the rule book, pointing at the part that says the captain has to request it. Official, fighting all sorts of urges, reminds the coach that it was the captain who requested it.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 10:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well 2008 to me seems like 7 or 8 years ago to me personally.

A lot has gone on in my officiating life since then as well so it seems like it was a long time ago. I just know it happened, I was not exactly sure when but remember the play that APG referenced mainly because I use this clip in my class that I teach in the fall as the only example of a GT on a FT. I also thought the reason they moved the SEC Championship Tournament that year was because of Hurricane Katrina, because playing at that facility was certainly a last minute change if I remember correctly which happen in 2005 and why I said 7 or 8 years ago. I guess there was some other reason for the change.

Peace
This play was discussed in a couple camps this summer. SEC tournament got moved because of tornado damage.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Nba/nfhs

To go along with the opposing coach choosing the shooter of a injured player:

Had a fellow official a couple years back calling a VG game where the HC for home team was a new coach. Visitors PG is on top of the key and has the ball stolen by defender so she decides to try to steal it back quickly and commits a common foul. Home HC comes up screaming about a "clear path foul" and won't give up. My buddy speaks with him and notes that there is no such high school rule and that watching NBA for rules interpretations isn't recommended.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This play was discussed in a couple camps this summer. SEC tournament got moved because of tornado damage.
Do you remember the original site?

Peace
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you remember the original site?

Peace
Georgia Dome

SEC tournament delayed as Georgia Dome sustains damage - Men's College Basketball - ESPN