The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A1 notices that A2, from the same team, is heading to the wrong basket after halftime. A1 fouls her own player to prevent her from getting the basket... What do you do or call in a situation like this? Could this be called as an Intentional Foul if the foul is severe enough?
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 06:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let it go, unless she causes her teammate to travel, double dribble, or otherwise violate. I believe that a foul is defined as contact against an opponent.
Calling a foul here is problematic, in that you then have to determine who shoots the shots for Team B. It's actually a smart play for A1.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just like Snaqwells said...nothing you can do. Contact fouls are clearly defined as being committed against an opponent.

The best you might come up with would be an unsportsmanlike T. And that would be a real stretch to justify unless one of the players let a stream of profanity go along with it.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kristal_15
A1 notices that A2, from the same team, is heading to the wrong basket after halftime. A1 fouls her own player to prevent her from getting the basket... What do you do or call in a situation like this? Could this be called as an Intentional Foul if the foul is severe enough?
I actually had a 10 second violation once when a team shot
THREE times at the wrong basket.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The best you might come up with would be an unsportsmanlike T.
Camron,
That didn't come out right, I think.
mick
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not quite sure how that's unsporting.

I'd let it go, unless there was some serious injury inflicted. Then it might border an unsporting foul, or a flagerant. It all depends, on how much force is used.

I wouldn't have to hit my teammate that hard to tell him that he's shooting at the wrong basket. If I get his attention, i think that's enough for him to realize that. But I don't play the game, so I might be wrong.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Keep a 10-second count going, and that's about all you're going to get, unless there's a travel or something like that. Unless the ball was in-bounded just inside the front court. Then you can blow it dead right away for a backcourt violation.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Calling a foul here is problematic, in that you then have to determine who shoots the shots for Team B. It's actually a smart play for A1.
Adam, why would Team B get FTs, even if you called a foul?

Oh, maybe A is over the limit. . . Ok. Then yeah, who would shoot 'em? LOL Good point. I was thinking about A1 being fouled "in the act of shooting". No FTs there.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jun 13th, 2004 at 10:45 AM]
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 12:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Adam, why would Team B get FTs, even if you called a foul?

Oh, maybe A is over the limit. . . Ok. Then yeah, who would shoot 'em? LOL Good point. I was thinking about A1 being fouled "in the act of shooting". No FTs there.

As Adam said in the first part of his post, you can't call a personal foul, by rule, on A1 for fouling A2. By definition, personal fouls can only be committed against opponents. That only leaves a technical foul for unsporting play as the only call on A1 for stopping A2. That's a helluva reach, but who knows? B would get 2 FT's for the T in that case, with the coach or captain designating the shooter. Has anyone ever actually seen the captain designate the FT shooter(s) on a T, except in a rec league that didn't have coaches? I don't think that I ever have.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Question Brain food.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Has anyone ever actually seen the captain designate the FT shooter(s) on a T, except in a rec league that didn't have coaches? I don't think that I ever have.
Scenario:

Technical foul on Team B.
Captain says, "A34 will shoot."
Coach says, "A12 will shoot."

Coach has been riding officials the entire game.
Captain has been saying the Coach is acting weird this game.

How do we pick a shooter?
mick

Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 01:47pm
In Memoriam

Re: Brain food.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Has anyone ever actually seen the captain designate the FT shooter(s) on a T, except in a rec league that didn't have coaches? I don't think that I ever have.
Scenario:

mick

We don't. We say "Make up your minds, folks. And btw, you got 10 seconds to do so". If they keep arguing, well, then somebody has got to go- fer sure.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Keep a 10-second count going, and that's about all you're going to get, unless there's a travel or something like that. Unless the ball was in-bounded just inside the front court. Then you can blow it dead right away for a backcourt violation.
You could always hope A1 catches her own air ball.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

If the player was dribbling in the backcourt toward the wrong goal and then laid the ball off the backboard on the shot, you could call a double dribble.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Brain food.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Scenario:

mick

We don't. We say "Make up your minds, folks. And btw, you got 10 seconds to do so". If they keep arguing, well, then somebody has got to go- fer sure.
Yeah, if 2 players are on the free throw line, it's a violation. If none are, it's also a violation. That would be fun to watch.

Also, what if 2 players on the SAME TEAM push, shove, or even punch each other? Flagrant fouls and Team B gets free throws and the ball?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
[/B]
Also, what if 2 players on the SAME TEAM push, shove, or even punch each other? Flagrant fouls and Team B gets free throws and the ball?

[/B][/QUOTE]Flagrant technical fouls on each teammember- 2 FT's for each T, plus possession. Two fouls charged towards the bonus.

I had this happen in a football game once. Offensive guard and a fullback on the same team. Coach told me after that the 2 players had been going at each other all week in practise. And they were brothers.