The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rare plays (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92236-rare-plays.html)

BigT Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:10pm

Rare plays

I have two kinds of stories I love to hear from you guys. One is how you deal with problem children. Coaches, players, fans, etc who must be managed.

Yet my other one is weird plays. Situations where you have to know your rule book really well because it will only happen once every 200-1000 games.

Like the opening tip being touched 3 times being a violation. Or when a guy can leave the court dribbling and can return to the court.

If you were talking to me and I have a pretty good idea of the game but needed a little warning about this little rule book issue and where it came up for you. What would your story/warning/example be for me in this thread?

And if you dont have one tell me if you have ever had to deal with a situation where a player is hurt and the opposing coach has demanded he chooses who shoots the free-throws rather then the sub who is coming in.

tref Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 851863)
If you were talking to me and I have a pretty good idea of the game but needed a little warning about this little rule book issue and where it came up for you. What would your story/warning/example be for me in this thread?

I started officiating at the youth football level & the coaches were always trying to hustle a call. I didnt know the rules well, so I'd bite on a few, later realizing that I messed up. Thats when I got my nose in the book.

There's no more comfortable feeling than knowing theres nothing that can happen on the court/field that I cant adjudicate properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 851863)
And if you dont have one tell me if you have ever had to deal with a situation where a player is hurt and the opposing coach has demanded he chooses who shoots the free-throws rather then the sub who is coming in.

In a HS game, "coach they pay me alot more money when that ruleset is in effect."

BigT Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 851865)
I started officiating at the youth football level & the coaches were always trying to hustle a call. I didnt know the rules well, so I'd bite on a few, later realizing that I messed up. Thats when I got my nose in the book.

There's no more comfortable feeling than knowing theres nothing that can happen on the court/field that I cant adjudicate properly.

In a HS game, "coach they pay me alot more money when that ruleset is in effect."

Has anyone even had a coach demand this. In my first 1000 games I havent really seen on request it.

Adam Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 851866)
Has anyone even had a coach demand this. In my first 1000 games I havent really seen on request it.

Nope, never seen it. Now that it's been instituted at the NCAA level as well, we might see it in the future (once fans realize it's an NCAA rule).

I've had coaches ask me about the restricted arc, but only as a legitimate question (as opposed to the jeapordy version they all play to make a point).

APG Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 851867)
Nope, never seen it. Now that it's been instituted at the NCAA level as well, we might see it in the future (once fans realize it's an NCAA rule).

I've had coaches ask me about the restricted arc, but only as a legitimate question (as opposed to the jeapordy version they all play to make a point).

It's been my experience that when coaches spout out about a rule, the difference comes from an NBA rule versus a NFHS rule since NCAA are overwhelming the same. All I think that NCAA-M adopting this rule, which is similar to the NBA rule, will do is reaffirm to some coaches that we're doing it "wrong."

Raymond Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:56pm

Most any rules discussion I have with a coach is a comedy.

JRutledge Wed Aug 15, 2012 04:07pm

When a coach ask me a question about another level, I usually just say, "That is a college rule" and that usually stops the discussion.

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Aug 15, 2012 05:20pm

Padgett makes the coach a bet.
If the coach is right, Padgett will pay him $100.
If the coach is wrong, he washes Padgett's car.

So far no coach has ever taken the bet.

JetMetFan Wed Aug 15, 2012 05:56pm

This past February in an NYC HS Girls' game a coach was using a program on her iPad to chart shots, possessions, etc. and I'll admit my partner and I were caught off guard because neither of us remembered NCAA 10-4-2 - or thought to check it in our rule books at halftime - until after the game ended (NYS Girls' play modified NCAA rules).

I contacted my assigner and my rules interpreter and both sent out an e-mail the next day to all officials reminding them the iPad program was illegal.

JetMetFan Wed Aug 15, 2012 06:04pm

Plays/situations I'm still waiting to see...

*A player using tobacco
*A player grasping the rim to pull himself up and then dunking the ball during the same play...resulting in two Ts. I came close. The kid wasn't able to dunk it.
*(NFHS 10-1-10) Players locking arms to restrict an opponent's movement
*(NFHS 10-3-6e) Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height
*(10-3-9) Goaltend during a free throw

JRutledge Wed Aug 15, 2012 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 851882)
*A player using tobacco

Seen this in other sports, seems to be a universal rule across multiple HS or college sports.

Quote:

*A player grasping the rim to pull himself up and then dunking the ball during the same play...resulting in two Ts. I came close. The kid wasn't able to dunk it.

Seen this before and would only give one T. ;)

Quote:

*(NFHS 10-1-10) Players locking arms to restrict an opponent's movement

Almost saw this one.

Quote:

*(NFHS 10-3-6e) Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height

Never seen this one.

Quote:

*(10-3-9) Goaltend during a free throw

This happen in the SEC Championship game about 7 or 8 years ago. I saw this live on TV and was shocked.

Peace

APG Wed Aug 15, 2012 06:41pm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qv2Jf97_q6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Wed Aug 15, 2012 07:21pm

When Pigs Fly ???

Multiple foul.

legend Wed Aug 15, 2012 07:43pm

false double foul

BillyMac Wed Aug 15, 2012 08:09pm

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 851889)
False double foul

These happen all the time.