The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
This past February in an NYC HS Girls' game a coach was using a program on her iPad to chart shots, possessions, etc. and I'll admit my partner and I were caught off guard because neither of us remembered NCAA 10-2d - or thought to check it in our rule books at halftime - until after the game ended (NYS Girls' play modified NCAA rules).

I contacted my assigner and my rules interpreter and both sent out an e-mail the next day to all officials reminding them the iPad program was illegal.
I thought any electronic device used on the bench or coming over to bench personnel was strictly prohibited and ignoring a warning was a T?
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I thought any electronic device used on the bench or coming over to bench personnel was strictly prohibited and ignoring a warning was a T?
Actually there's no warning in either code and it's any electronic transmission device. We just had a brain lock.

Also, my apologies on the rule citation. It's NCAA 10-4-2 (women)/10-6-2d (men) and NFHS 10-1-3. I've changed it in my OP.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Be careful with the iPad rulings. They vary all over the map.

NCAA-W says they are legal as long as they are not being used to communicate to/from the bench.. NCAA-M says they are not legal at all. IAABO says they are legal in HS for the same purpose...scoring only. They may not be used as "whiteboards" or anything else.

Eventually, the rulemakers will catch up with the technology. But NCAA 10-4-2 does not ban them outright. Take a look at AR 273, which specifically says that laptop computers are legal on the bench, as long as they are not being used for electronic communication. There was a memo sent to NCAA-W officials last year that expanded this ruling to include the iPad.

Last edited by BayStateRef; Thu Aug 16, 2012 at 02:45pm.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 04:14pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The captain requesting a match-up following a substitution of three or more by his opponents.
The only thing close to this are those middle school girls' games when both teams match-up after every single time-out or intermission. I just let it happen.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 05:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Matchup Rule ??? What Matchup Rule ???

Quote:
The captain requesting a match-up following a substitution of three or more by his opponents.
Due to an editing error, this rule actually disappeared from the NFHS Rulebook for several years, I believe back in the early 1990's.

Back in the middle part of the twentieth century, these matchups were usually done at one of the three jump ball circles. Yes, back then we actually had three different jump ball circles, and we often had several jump balls in a game, and a lot more than several in a middle school girls game. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along here shortly to confirm, or deny, my statements. Just a reminder to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., since the merger between Twitter, and The Official Forum, posts are limited to less than 140 characters.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 16, 2012 at 06:39pm.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Digital Age ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Be careful with the iPad rulings. They vary all over the map. IAABO says they are legal in HS for the same purpose...scoring only. They may not be used as "whiteboards" or anything else.
Sounds like the same interpretation that we used here in 100% IAABO Connecticut last season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 05:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds like the same interpretation that we used here in 100% IAABO Connecticut last season.
Colorado, an IAABO state, declared them off limits due to the understandable notion that it would be impossible to restrict their use in anyway once they're allowed on the bench.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Colorado, an IAABO state, declared them off limits due to the understandable notion that it would be impossible to restrict their use in anyway once they're allowed on the bench.
Right, like the tableside official(s) would sneak a peek every once in a while to verify if the legal device is being used illegally by the coach
Rabbit eyes? As if we dont have enough to do already.
I was very happy when they passed that ruling!
Old Sun Aug 19, 2012, 03:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Padgett makes the coach a bet.
If the coach is right, Padgett will pay him $100.
If the coach is wrong, he washes Padgett's car.

So far no coach has ever taken the bet.
Which is why my car is still dirty.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Be careful with the iPad rulings. They vary all over the map.

NCAA-W says they are legal as long as they are not being used to communicate to/from the bench.. NCAA-M says they are not legal at all. IAABO says they are legal in HS for the same purpose...scoring only. They may not be used as "whiteboards" or anything else.

Eventually, the rulemakers will catch up with the technology. But NCAA 10-4-2 does not ban them outright. Take a look at AR 273, which specifically says that laptop computers are legal on the bench, as long as they are not being used for electronic communication. There was a memo sent to NCAA-W officials last year that expanded this ruling to include the iPad.
I think my association banned it in my case because of this:

Quote:
Using electronic transmission...or knowledge gained resulting from thereof, for coaching purposes.
I told my assigner & interpreter the iPad was being used to track plays which would seem to fall into the 'coaching purposes" category.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Electronic devices on bench

There's a bit of an issue though with more schools getting set up for WiFi, that a tablet or laptop could be used for electronic communications.

For the iPad there are several apps available that are either whiteboard, statics, or both. There's even an app or two that turns the iPad into a scoreboard.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 05:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Eagle Has Landed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
chseagle
Where have you been buddy?

Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Future Is Now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
There's even an app or two that turns the iPad into a scoreboard.
We have a few schools, here in my little corner of Connecticut, who are considering this application. The scoreboard, and scorebook, would both be digital, and connected. A two point field goal for Red 32 gets "typed" into the digital scorebook, Red Team gets two points on the visible scoreboard. A foul on White 23 gets "typed" into the digital scorebook, White Team gets a a foul added to their team fouls on the visible scoreboard.

Our interpreter has been asked to review the logistics of this application to make sure that it complies with the NFHS rules.

One of the schools that wants to use this application lost a game last year due to an error involving the home scorebook and the visible scoreboard. Supposedly, this application would avoid this type of error.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 31, 2012 at 06:02pm.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We have a few schools, here in my little corner of Connecticut, who are considering this application. The scoreboard, and scorebook, would both be digital, and connected. A two point field goal for Red 32 gets "typed" into the digital scorebook, Red Team gets two points on the visible scoreboard. A foul on White 23 gets "typed" into the digital scorebook, White Team gets a a foul added to their team fouls on the visible scoreboard.

Our interpreter has been asked to review the logistics of this application to make sure that it complies with the NFHS rules.

One of the schools that wants to use this application lost a game last year due to an error involving the home scorebook and the visible scoreboard. Supposedly, this application would avoid this type of error.
As long as the iPad isn't being "typed into" from the bench, there's no relevant rule about it. I don't know of any rule that requires the scorebook be kept on paper.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

A small city in a remote area was hosting a high calibre communitly college tournament a considerable number of years ago. Having no officials in that area capable of handling that level of ball, three other officals and I were flown there to handle the week end tournament.
They went big time there with a nice hospitality suite sponsored by the local brewer.

Saturday afternoon we work the semis which finish at about 6 o'clock and after eating supper we decide to go out on the town. One of the 4 says he does want to go because he wants to bone up on the rule book.

That individual and I have the finals the next afternoon. Hard fought game, with a point difference of about 4 points. I, the referee, check with scorer as game ends, she indicates all is well and I head for the dressing room which was phys ed teachers office looking out on the gym.
Thirsty as hell and wanting to hit that hospitality suite, I yank my shirt off and was ready to take a shower. All of a sudden I wonder where the other ref is and then hear some whistles.

Panicking I put my shirt on (inside out as someone kindly pointed out to me later) and go on the court to see whats happening. Well winning team was cutting net and the other ref was giving T's with each snip.

Fortunately I was able to go up to him and inform him that I had approved the score and nothing could be done.

Boy did those beers taste good.