The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Video: Euro step, Gasol move ? Make the call

Using high school or NCAA rule book, would you blow the whistle??

Last edited by jump stop; Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 07:03am.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 07:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Both would be travels for replanted pivot foot.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Both would be travels for replanted pivot foot.
1+. The tough part in the first video is when one determines when he has ended his dribble/gathered the ball. I agree that they are both travels by rule

-Josh
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Euro Step synonym for travel. Euro Step is end dribble on left foot change direction on right foot leap off left foot.

The clip is definitely a travel. The problem is, this is very hard to pick up in live action as the lead official. As the lead, I tend to be watching for hack and positioning for potential block or PC. I call when I see but it is easier to see from non lead position because as lead my focus is more on the fouling potential than the travel potential. Also, easier to see from the stands.

You pretty much know the player has traveled when he changes direction on his right foot and then leaps off his left foot. When this happens he has ended his dribble on his left foot.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Euro Step synonym for travel. Euro Step is end dribble on left foot change direction on right foot leap off left foot.
No it is not. All a Euro Step is in the first place is a move where with your pivot foot in one direction and change direction on the next step. It is often performed legally and sometimes not like any other move. There is nothing in the move that suggest it is illegal. It is a move to make the defender think you are going one way and then dart in the other direction. Now since the term has no rulebook basis but the attempt of the move in itself is not illegal, it is the execution that matters. Players try all kinds of things and do not necessarily do them legally.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not convinced the first play is a travel. For one the issue is when did the player gather the ball to stop his dribble. I think the first one is possibly legal. The second one is obviously a travel as the move is a hop step after establishing the ball and pivot foot while in control of the ball.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Negative.

Most Euro steps are legal in high school games. Too many officials call them "travels" because it looks "funny." All the Euro step is a your typical lay-up except the "steps" are not in a straight line.

As far as the videos, none of those plays are going to be called a travel in real time, and I would not have called them myself.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 12:26am. Reason: grammar
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 01:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
...As far as the videos, none of those plays are going to be called a travel in real time, and I would not have called them myself.
Of the 2 I would have detected the 1st one easier than Gasol's.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Of the 2 I would have detected the 1st one easier than Gasol's.
Reverse that for me. I think in real time the second is easier to call then the first, mainly because of the factor JRut mentioned: determining when A1 ended his dribble. It's one of those that looks bad but most likely is legal.

In the second, Gasol gathers, lands on his right foot and then moves both feet in the process of pivoting. That's one we see more than a few times per game at the H.S./NCAA level.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
As far as the videos, none of those plays are going to be called a travel in real time, and I would not have called them myself.
I think I would have caught the second one if I was a C or probably T if no one was in my area. But then again I would not guess either.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Neither is a travel. The first play is classic Euro-step that is executed properly. The second play is not a travel as Gasoline DOES NOT "alight" on both feet simultaneously...he lands in a 1, 2 manner - then pivots on his 1st step.

Call it a travel if you like; but be prepared to answer questions from your supervisor after the game.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 09:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Neither is a travel. The first play is classic Euro-step that is executed properly. The second play is not a travel as Gasoline DOES NOT "alight" on both feet simultaneously...he lands in a 1, 2 manner - then pivots on his 1st step.

Call it a travel if you like; but be prepared to answer questions from your supervisor after the game.
I am not worried about the supervisor part, the second one is a travel for sure. Gasol dribbles and picks up his dribble then picks up the ball with the left foot on the floor. Then hops off both his feet lands both feet in that one two movement then pivots off his left foot that was off the floor to shoot. That is a travel because you cannot jump off your feet after you stopped your dribble.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NFHS/NCAA: This is by the book a travel. Gasol ends his dribble with his right foot on the floor. At this point, he can do one of two things. He can alight off that foot and land simultaneously on both feet. He would not be able to pivot at this point. He can also step with his left foot which would make his right foot the pivot foot.

In the play above, Gasol gathers the ball with his right foot on the floor, steps with his left foot (making the right foot the pivot foot), picks up his right foot (the pivot) and steps with it.

NBA: Completely legal play
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Aug 16, 2012 at 12:20am. Reason: forgot to put "not"
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 12:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
NFHS/NCAA: This is by the book a travel. Gasol ends his dribble with his right foot on the floor. At this point, he can do one of two things. He can alight off that foot and land simultaneously on both feet. He would be able to pivot at this point. He can also step with his left foot which would make his right foot the pivot foot.

In the play above, Gasol gathers the ball with his right foot on the floor, steps with his left foot (making the right foot the pivot foot), picks up his right foot (the pivot) and steps with it.

NBA: Completely legal play
I think you meant to say he wouldn't be able to pivot....
Old Thu Aug 16, 2012, 12:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

If I let a play like this go under NFHS rules, I'll have more to answer for. Mainly because my assigners know the rule.