The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I was told if you keep focus this will come, but heres another questions from a first time camper.

With out using a rubber band a roung your hand, or a whistle in your pocket, or depending on the possesion arrow(all the time)how do you did track.

(Gentlemen keep in mind I just did my cadet class last year and this will be my first full season so some question I put out here my be old hat for some of you, but with your help they will become old hat for me to
Thanks.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BMA

With out using a rubber band a roung your hand, or a whistle in your pocket, or depending on the possesion arrow(all the time)how do you did track.
BMA,
I don't try to remember, and I don't intend to learn how to remember until it becomes an official mechanic.
If there is no table crew, I do something like you suggest, and I use my partner.
I have enough other things to think about than to try and remember who has next possession.

mick
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BMA
I was told if you keep focus this will come, but heres another questions from a first time camper.

(Gentlemen keep in mind I just did my cadet class last year and this will be my first full season so some question I put out here my be old hat for some of you, but with your help they will become old hat for me to
Thanks.
Since you're being told not to use the rubber band or the
whistle in the pocket to remember the arrow then you should
work on eliminating them from your game. Just throw 'em
away, you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to not
having them around. A common technique is to take a mental
snapshot of the situation that led to the last change in arrow direction, which includes the jump (or jump
violation). Remind yourself mentally of the arrow direction
frequently during the game. Given time it will become
second nature.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

If I find myself being forgetful, I just check the arrow at the table. If they don't have it right, well, it's not my fault but it is my problem--I'll discuss it with them to make sure they begin to get it right. After this happens once, I'll always check and make sure that the table crew is switching the arrow properly after each AP.

Of course, if there is no arrow at the table, then you line up and punt
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

If you are doing middle school girls you will not forget. There is a jump every 6.3 seconds.

For games where they are far and few, do the mental snapshot thing, but also lean on the table. That is why they are there. If you make it a habit to watch and ensure they switch it correctly, there should be no issues.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
keeping track of arrow

It may seem infantile, but I just keep saying over and over to myself what the situation is. I also remind myself of who has the ball. So throughout the possession, I'm muttering under my breath "White ball. Held ball blue. White ball. Held ball blue." Reminding myself that White has the ball helps me to keep in mind who has to screen legally, and which way I'll point if the ball goes OOB. I don't do it every single possession, but if I find that I haven't thought about the arrow in a while, I'll say it a few times to remind myself.

Also, thanks to Mick for emailing me about this site. Now I've gotta figure out how to add real smiley's to my posts. :-)

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Aug 13th, 2001 at 11:41 AM]
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: keeping track of arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B]...Now I've gotta figure out how to add real smiley's to my posts. :-)

Chuck
Chuck,

Try http://www.officialforum.com/index.p...on=showsmilies

Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
It may seem infantile, but I just keep saying over and over to myself what the situation is. I also remind myself of who has the ball. So throughout the possession, I'm muttering under my breath "White ball. Held ball blue. White ball. Held ball blue." Reminding myself that White has the ball helps me to keep in mind who has to screen legally, and which way I'll point if the ball goes OOB. I don't do it every single possession, but if I find that I haven't thought about the arrow in a while, I'll say it a few times to remind myself.

Also, thanks to Mick for emailing me about this site. Now I've gotta figure out how to add real smiley's to my posts. :-)

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Aug 13th, 2001 at 11:41 AM]
No problem.
Glad yer here.
Welcome aboard, Chuck.
mick
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The direction of the AP arrow must always be known by at least one official on the floor 100% of the time and the table/scoreboard must properly reflect this.

Scorers and timers often forget...even in the big games. This is an essential part of game management and every ref should keep track. I use a paper clip in my pocket (right pocket-home team, left pocket-visitors). Every change I verify the arrow at the table/scoreboard has been changed and expect my partners to do the same. (pregame)

By doing this, everybody is on the same page and you don't get that embarassing dead ball moment...you know when a coach freaks out cause he thinks it's his ball and the crew isn't sure so they huddle and check with the table, the fans are wondering what's going on, everybody is watching you and you're attracting all kinds of unwanted attention.

It's not hard to do...and it avoids a potentially embarassing situation.

Other embarassing situations due to poor game management:

1. Failure to award merited free throws and all the other correctable errors..
2. Allowing a player to continue w/ 5 fouls.
3. Handing the ball to the wrong team for a throw in.
4. Letting the wrong player shoot free throws.

feel free to add to the list......
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Welcome Chuck. Just lose the nose. :-)

TH

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb I use Gum

If I don't have an arrow at the table, I bust out with a crayon and paper and make one. If there are no crayons available, I try to have a piece of gum to chew, (then I try to keep it out of my whistle), when I look at the benches, if I have my gum on the right side of my mouth, that is the direction the ball is going.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I use Gum

Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes130
...I try to have a piece of gum to chew, (then I try to keep it out of my whistle), when I look at the benches, if I have my gum on the right side of my mouth, that is the direction the ball is going.
You da man!
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I use Gum

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes130
...I try to have a piece of gum to chew, (then I try to keep it out of my whistle), when I look at the benches, if I have my gum on the right side of my mouth, that is the direction the ball is going.
You da man!
Actually, I think she's the woman!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
The direction of the AP arrow must always be known by at least one official on the floor 100% of the time and the table/scoreboard must properly reflect this.
I suggest turning the scoreboard arrow off, and just going with the table for a few reasons:
(1) The arrow at the table is official.
(2) If there is a discrepancy between the two displays, the followers of one of the teams will think that they're getting screwed royally.
(3) An arrow at the table is often easier for the officials and table crew to all see, and for all of them to have the ability to switch it if the need arises.

Quote:
Scorers and timers often forget...even in the big games. This is an essential part of game management and every ref should keep track. I use a paper clip in my pocket (right pocket-home team, left pocket-visitors). Every change I verify the arrow at the table/scoreboard has been changed and expect my partners to do the same. (pregame)
Of course, the most important is the original jump ball - most switches are easy, it's the setting that is the hardest. Also, make sure that the table knows to buzz you over if they have ANY questions.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
I suggest turning the scoreboard arrow off, and just going with the table for a few reasons:
(1) The arrow at the table is official.
(2) If there is a discrepancy between the two displays, the followers of one of the teams will think that they're getting screwed royally.
(3) An arrow at the table is often easier for the officials and table crew to all see, and for all of them to have the ability to switch it if the need arises.

Quote:
Of course, the most important is the original jump ball - most switches are easy, it's the setting that is the hardest. Also, make sure that the table knows to buzz you over if they have ANY questions.
Good ideas, and related to this, make sure the table knows
when there's a change in the arrow. Make sure the arrow is
changed when it needs to be. There is often trouble when a
time out is called immediately following a held ball. Remind
the table to switch the arrow before putting the ball back
in.

Oh yeah, one more thing. There's realy no reason why any of
us should depend on a rubber band or paper clip or even
the table for this. Work on keeping the arrow in your head,
it's not all that hard once you get the hang of it.