The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2012, 05:29pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Olympic officials

Just flipped to the Argentina/Lithuania Men's Basketball game and noticed Jose Carrion working the game. I've worked with Jose at the D3 NCAA level. Very fun to see him on TV tonight.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

I've always noticed in international games the weak side official put both arms up on the first free throw. Why?

I also noticed that there is no trapezoid for these games. I always thought FIBA prided itself on the trapezoid.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
I've always noticed in international games the weak side official put both arms up on the first free throw. Why?

I also noticed that there is no trapezoid for these games. I always thought FIBA prided itself on the trapezoid.
If the official outside the restricted area (what we'd call the paint in America) has both hands up and palms facing forward, that means two free throws. If he had both hands up but only has 3 fingers up on each hand, he's indicated 3 free throws.

Also, FIBA changed their rules and went into effect in 2010 that changed the lane from the trapezoid lane to the NBA sized lane (16 feet wide). They've also added a no charge semi-circle that is anaglous to the restricted area/arc in the NBA/NCAA (in FIBA it seems they call the "paint" the restricted area), but a defender must be entirely in the no charge area for him not to be allowed to take a charge.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Jul 30, 2012 at 05:18am.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The arms (in the air) are the FIBA signal for two free throws and FIBA adopted a rectangular key in 2010 as one of its many rule changes including a longer three point line and a no charge semi circle. FIBA has gradually gotten closer and closer to the NBA game over the last 10 years.

For those who do not follow FIBA closely, you may find it interesting that when they adopted the semi circle for block/charge calls, they did so with a wrinkle. In FIBA, the defender is considered outside the semi circle as long as both his feet are not completely inside the line. So if you see a block/charge call and the defender has his feet ON the line, the call CAN be a charge as long as he ahs all the other elements of a legal guarding position.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

APG, you beat me to do it.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Because it's FIBA and it is the dumbest mechanic ever. I do it because I have too, not because it makes sense haha.

Seriously no supervisor I've ever asked has been able to give me a good reason as to why we do it. Just like no one has ever been able to answer why only numbers for 4-15 are permitted.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Because it's FIBA and it is the dumbest mechanic ever. I do it because I have too, not because it makes sense haha.

Seriously no supervisor I've ever asked has been able to give me a good reason as to why we do it. Just like no one has ever been able to answer why only numbers for 4-15 are permitted.
I was told that FIBA mechanics were developed such that all signals were non-disparaging within all cultures.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just like no one has ever been able to answer why only numbers for 4-15 are permitted.
I can't give you an answer as to why, but I will point out that is seems to be common in international competition in many sports to limit the players' numbers to the low end of the number line. FIFA requires teams to use the numbers 1-23, and 1 must be a goalkeeper. They mentioned the water polo players are numbered 1-13, and 1 must be a goalkeeper.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
APG, you beat me to do it.

Quote:

I'm assuming it's to keep things, "simple stupid" for all involved. Besides that, I can't think of a legit reason why numbers should be limited like they are in FIBA play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:39pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I can't give you an answer as to why, but I will point out that is seems to be common in international competition in many sports to limit the players' numbers to the low end of the number line. FIFA requires teams to use the numbers 1-23, and 1 must be a goalkeeper. They mentioned the water polo players are numbered 1-13, and 1 must be a goalkeeper.
I was told its because all the numbers can be communicated by using either one hand alone or max 2 hands. Over 15, official would then have to use one hand again to communicate the 6 in sixteen. Also, the numbers 1,2 and 3 are not allowed so not to confuse with number of free throws.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Mon Jul 30, 2012 at 12:42pm.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I was told its because all the numbers can be communicated by using either one hand alone or max 2 hands. Over 15, official would then have to use one hand again to communicate the 6 in sixteen. Also, the numbers 1,2 and 3 are not allowed so not to confuse with number of free throws.
That, obviously, is solved by the NFHS/NCAA limits on numbers to used only the digits 0-5....allowing 54, which is no more difficult to indicate than 12.

Allowing only 4-15 does reduce the chance of miscommunication as only 4 and 5 are used in two different numbers, the rest being entirely unique (per team). It does increase the odds of confusing a number on the two teams as both teams would use all the same numbers.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well then they could go the NFHS/NCAA route with their numbering system. And who's going to get confused with the number of free throws vs. number of the player? The scorer? Well they'll figure it out real quick after the appropriate amount of free throws have been shot.

Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
NFHS has the same reasoning (except for the free throw confusion part), but it doesn't preclude such numbers as 33 or 52.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Buckle My Shoe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
NFHS has the same reasoning (except for the free throw confusion part), but it doesn't preclude such numbers as 33 or 52.
Many years ago, back in the twentieth century, didn't the NFHS define the numerals 1, and 2, as illegal? I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my statement. Remember Mark, since the Forum's merger with Twitter, all posts must be limited to 140 characters.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

In my high school conference we had even numbers for our home jerseys and odd numbers for our road jerseys (or vise versa, I don't remember specifically). It helped prevent scorers from accidentally giving fouls or points to the wrong team.