The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

US Olympic Team

Got back a little while ago from watching Team USA defeat NPF's Washington Glory, 2-0. The Glory had five hits to USA's four, but a Glory error was costly.

Abbott looked great, but terribly illegal. Cat was rolling, but for some reason slowed the pace a little bit. When that happened, she seemed to lose a little of her control including a WP on a U3K that hit the ground so hard, it bounced over the temporary backstop. Glory coach wasn't happy that the umpires would only allow the runners one base. Finch allowed 3 hits in the final two innings, but no runs.

There were more than 8,700 fans in Prince George's Stadium, home of the Bowie Baysox. From what I understand, this is the largest crowd to attend a Bound 4 Bejing game to date. Green Beret jumpers delivered the Olympic flag, ASA banner and the American flag and game ball, though the last jumper didn't quite make the field after both predecessors experienced hard landings.

ASA umpires Diane Carden, Laurie Zeiders & Wes Kreigh did a great job. Rules were ISF pitching for Team USA, NCAA for the Washington Glory. They played "pitch your own ball" which means Diane had to swap out balls every half inning.

Enjoyed seeing and chatting with ASA and Central Atlantic notables MD/DC Commissioner and host, Jack Mowatt, ASA President-Elect Andy Dooley, Henry Pollard, Bob Savoie, Mark Ingrao, Ray Barrier and a few of the elite umpires from the Northern VA, MD & DC areas.

Jack Mowatt and MD/DC ASA did a great job on a wonderful show, as did Team USA who stayed around to sign autographs for anyone who wished one.

I strongly suggest you catch this team if they are anywhere in your area.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

I watched the Team USA v Virginia Tech. game a couple of days ago. If it wasn't for the uniforms one might have been confused which team was going to Beijing. Just say'n.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

I wonder how ASA is going to stroke itself after the olympics are over.......
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

The night before they went to Bowie, they were here. I had the pleasure of doing that game - against some local former college players. What a show they put on. They stayed long after the scheduled autograph session - not a one showed anything but enthusiasm for and towards their fans.
An hour or so after leaving the park, the plate ump and his significant other along with my wife & me were eating at a local restaurant. Six of the players came in with one of their sons. They are just as classy off the field. They were thrilled when I picked up their bills.
I'll second what Mike said - if you get the chance to see them - do what you can to see them.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I wonder how ASA is going to stroke itself after the olympics are over.......
World Cup
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

A humorous moment that probably only a few caught was when the stadium announcer was running through sponsoring/supporting groups for the game......"ASA umpires......Trojan Athletic Gloves....."

Is that what they are calling them now? Has sex now become a sport?
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
A humorous moment that probably only a few caught was when the stadium announcer was running through sponsoring/supporting groups for the game......"ASA umpires......Trojan Athletic Gloves....."

Is that what they are calling them now? Has sex now become a sport?
Now, that thar is funny, I don't care who you are.

I caught team USA in La. against ULL. Team USA 2, ULL 0, Finch threw a perfect game.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

http://www.usasoftball.com/info.asp?uid=3618

Here is the box score from the game Steve M worked
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I will be working a 14u ASA qualifier on Memorial day weekend. The Olympic team is scheduled to play a game on Sunday evening. Fairly small facility, only about 2000 people max. Should be fun.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
The night before they went to Bowie, they were here. I had the pleasure of doing that game - against some local former college players. What a show they put on. They stayed long after the scheduled autograph session - not a one showed anything but enthusiasm for and towards their fans.
An hour or so after leaving the park, the plate ump and his significant other along with my wife & me were eating at a local restaurant. Six of the players came in with one of their sons. They are just as classy off the field. They were thrilled when I picked up their bills.
I'll second what Mike said - if you get the chance to see them - do what you can to see them.
They were at the ISF stadium in Plant City FL on May 3. Some of the teams who played in the HS Finals the following week came to town early to see them. A mom told me this story.

During the autograph session, two of the younger players on a 1A team asked Natasha Watley how she ran so fast. Natasha told them that she ran a lot, did quickness drills, and lifted weights, but that the secret really was "in the genes." An hour later when they got to their car, one of the girls turned to the other and said, "We really have to start working out in jeans."

Last edited by argodad; Mon May 12, 2008 at 01:57pm.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
They were at the ISF stadium in Plant City FL on May 3. Some of the teams who played in the HS Finals the following week came to town early to see them. A mom told me this story.

During the autograph session, two of the younger players on a 1A team asked Natasha Whatley how she ran so fast. Natasha told them that she ran a lot, did quickness drills, and lifted weights, but that the secret really was "in the genes." An hour later when they got to their car, one of the girls turned to the other and said, "We really have to start working out in jeans."
And she is not a small woman, much bigger in person than I expected. But when that bat touches the ball, she flies. It's like, step 1, step 2, gone..........
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And she is not a small woman, much bigger in person than I expected. But when that bat touches the ball, she flies. It's like, step 1, step 2, gone..........
Yeah, she was bigger in person than I expected. And she hit a ball that most would have rounded 1B on and maybe thought about going for 2B - she stretched it into a triple.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

My daughter are going to go see them in Visalia this Friday.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I will be working a 14u ASA qualifier on Memorial day weekend. The Olympic team is scheduled to play a game on Sunday evening. Fairly small facility, only about 2000 people max. Should be fun.
The host city (Prescott, AZ) sold 3200 tickets for the game and it was a sellout. The Olympic team played a collection of HS, College, and former college players with ties to the area. The Olympic team won 15 - 0 in six innings. Finch pitched the entire game for the USA, I was a little disappointed that I did not get to see some of the other pitchers.

Stacey Nueveman has an absolute gun behind the plate - a runner tried to steal second and Stacey threw her out easily. I remembered the runner from her HS and college career, she was not exactly slow. The game was played during the time a 14u qualifier was going on, I was sitting near some of the players from one team that were just awestruck to see the game. One of the best things was that a local HS pitcher, just finished her sophomore year, got to pitch the last two innings for the all-star team. She struck out four of the seven batters she faced, one K being Mendoza, considered maybe the best hitter in the world. From the look on her face, she was extremely excited.

Overall, a very fun experience, 4 of my buddies got to umpire the game and they had a great time. My daughter was able to get autographs of 10 of the 18 USA players before they shut down the autograph lines. All of the players were very gracious and personable while signing autographs. If you get a chance to see this team play, I highly recommend you do so.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Dutch Olympic team

For those in or nearby Allentown, Pennsylvania, Rockford, Illinois and/or Akron, Ohio. The Dutch team is preparing them also for the Olympics. The team will play twelve games against three teams from the National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) in Allentown, Rockford and Akron.

For schedule, recaps and photos see:
http://www.dutchsoftballteam.com/americantrip2.htm

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?