The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Olympic officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92155-olympic-officials.html)

Scrapper1 Sun Jul 29, 2012 05:29pm

Olympic officials

Just flipped to the Argentina/Lithuania Men's Basketball game and noticed Jose Carrion working the game. I've worked with Jose at the D3 NCAA level. Very fun to see him on TV tonight.

tmagan Mon Jul 30, 2012 03:49am

I've always noticed in international games the weak side official put both arms up on the first free throw. Why?

I also noticed that there is no trapezoid for these games. I always thought FIBA prided itself on the trapezoid.

APG Mon Jul 30, 2012 04:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 850343)
I've always noticed in international games the weak side official put both arms up on the first free throw. Why?

I also noticed that there is no trapezoid for these games. I always thought FIBA prided itself on the trapezoid.

If the official outside the restricted area (what we'd call the paint in America) has both hands up and palms facing forward, that means two free throws. If he had both hands up but only has 3 fingers up on each hand, he's indicated 3 free throws.

Also, FIBA changed their rules and went into effect in 2010 that changed the lane from the trapezoid lane to the NBA sized lane (16 feet wide). They've also added a no charge semi-circle that is anaglous to the restricted area/arc in the NBA/NCAA (in FIBA it seems they call the "paint" the restricted area), but a defender must be entirely in the no charge area for him not to be allowed to take a charge.

Jay R Mon Jul 30, 2012 05:12am

Quote:

The arms (in the air) are the FIBA signal for two free throws and FIBA adopted a rectangular key in 2010 as one of its many rule changes including a longer three point line and a no charge semi circle. FIBA has gradually gotten closer and closer to the NBA game over the last 10 years.

For those who do not follow FIBA closely, you may find it interesting that when they adopted the semi circle for block/charge calls, they did so with a wrinkle. In FIBA, the defender is considered outside the semi circle as long as both his feet are not completely inside the line. So if you see a block/charge call and the defender has his feet ON the line, the call CAN be a charge as long as he ahs all the other elements of a legal guarding position.

Jay R Mon Jul 30, 2012 05:19am

APG, you beat me to do it.

constable Mon Jul 30, 2012 06:37am

Quote:

Because it's FIBA and it is the dumbest mechanic ever. I do it because I have too, not because it makes sense haha.

Seriously no supervisor I've ever asked has been able to give me a good reason as to why we do it. Just like no one has ever been able to answer why only numbers for 4-15 are permitted.

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 30, 2012 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 850349)
Because it's FIBA and it is the dumbest mechanic ever. I do it because I have too, not because it makes sense haha.

Seriously no supervisor I've ever asked has been able to give me a good reason as to why we do it. Just like no one has ever been able to answer why only numbers for 4-15 are permitted.

I was told that FIBA mechanics were developed such that all signals were non-disparaging within all cultures.

Altor Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50am

Quote:

Just like no one has ever been able to answer why only numbers for 4-15 are permitted.

I can't give you an answer as to why, but I will point out that is seems to be common in international competition in many sports to limit the players' numbers to the low end of the number line. FIFA requires teams to use the numbers 1-23, and 1 must be a goalkeeper. They mentioned the water polo players are numbered 1-13, and 1 must be a goalkeeper.

APG Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 850347)
APG, you beat me to do it.

:D

Quote:

I'm assuming it's to keep things, "simple stupid" for all involved. Besides that, I can't think of a legit reason why numbers should be limited like they are in FIBA play.

SmokeEater Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 850400)
I can't give you an answer as to why, but I will point out that is seems to be common in international competition in many sports to limit the players' numbers to the low end of the number line. FIFA requires teams to use the numbers 1-23, and 1 must be a goalkeeper. They mentioned the water polo players are numbered 1-13, and 1 must be a goalkeeper.

I was told its because all the numbers can be communicated by using either one hand alone or max 2 hands. Over 15, official would then have to use one hand again to communicate the 6 in sixteen. Also, the numbers 1,2 and 3 are not allowed so not to confuse with number of free throws.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 850420)
I was told its because all the numbers can be communicated by using either one hand alone or max 2 hands. Over 15, official would then have to use one hand again to communicate the 6 in sixteen. Also, the numbers 1,2 and 3 are not allowed so not to confuse with number of free throws.

That, obviously, is solved by the NFHS/NCAA limits on numbers to used only the digits 0-5....allowing 54, which is no more difficult to indicate than 12.

Allowing only 4-15 does reduce the chance of miscommunication as only 4 and 5 are used in two different numbers, the rest being entirely unique (per team). It does increase the odds of confusing a number on the two teams as both teams would use all the same numbers.

APG Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51pm

Quote:

Well then they could go the NFHS/NCAA route with their numbering system. And who's going to get confused with the number of free throws vs. number of the player? The scorer? Well they'll figure it out real quick after the appropriate amount of free throws have been shot.

Adam Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53pm

Quote:

NFHS has the same reasoning (except for the free throw confusion part), but it doesn't preclude such numbers as 33 or 52.

BillyMac Mon Jul 30, 2012 04:40pm

Buckle My Shoe ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 850431)
NFHS has the same reasoning (except for the free throw confusion part), but it doesn't preclude such numbers as 33 or 52.

Many years ago, back in the twentieth century, didn't the NFHS define the numerals 1, and 2, as illegal? I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my statement. Remember Mark, since the Forum's merger with Twitter, all posts must be limited to 140 characters.

brainbrian Mon Jul 30, 2012 06:49pm

In my high school conference we had even numbers for our home jerseys and odd numbers for our road jerseys (or vise versa, I don't remember specifically). It helped prevent scorers from accidentally giving fouls or points to the wrong team.