The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 21, 2012, 08:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

First Blarge

It finally happened. I'm T, A1 starts in front of me, heads for the FT line, and just after she gets to the line, she runs over her primary defender. I come up strong with a PC just as the L (two whistle) comes up with his block.

We look at each other, and almost started laughing. We got together, came out with a DF, I reported, and put it back in play as fast as we could.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2012, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It finally happened. I'm T, A1 starts in front of me, heads for the FT line, and just after she gets to the line, she runs over her primary defender. I come up strong with a PC just as the L (two whistle) comes up with his block.

We look at each other, and almost started laughing. We got together, came out with a DF, I reported, and put it back in play as fast as we could.
For the newer officials, finish the situation. Who did you give the ball to and how did you determine who got it?
Old Sat Jul 21, 2012, 11:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
For the newer officials, finish the situation. Who did you give the ball to and how did you determine who got it?
Point of interruption. A got a spot throw in under their basket as A1 still had the ball at the time of the foul.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2012, 06:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

There But For The Grace Of God, Go I ...

I've been fortunate enough not to have a single blarge in thirty-one years. This is mainly due to our local "custom" of allowing the lead official (Connecticut is "pretty much" a two person state) to take all double whistle calls (no preliminary signal from the trail), such as in the play described by Snaqwells above.

My biggest fear is that someday I will be the trail, not hear the lead's whistle (we've got some pretty loud gymnasiums here), and come out with a strong player control charging foul from my trail position while my partner comes out with a strong blocking foul from his lead position, with both of us giving strong preliminary signals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 22, 2012 at 06:58am.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My biggest fear is that someday I will be the trail, not hear the lead's whistle (we've got some pretty loud gymnasiums here), and come out with a strong player control charging foul from my trail position while my partner comes out with a strong blocking foul from his lead position, with both of us giving strong preliminary signals.
That's your biggest fear? Really? Ask 26 Year Gap about some of the other things that can happen on the court.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 03:36pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:

So, you were right. Hope you told the L to watch the defense next time!!!

BTW - glad to see I'm being quoted around here! LOL
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 05:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

BTW - glad to see I'm being quoted around here! LOL
Who are you again?
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 06:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In Heaven There Is No Beer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ask 26 Year Gap about some of the other things that can happen on the court.
Officials. Adult beverages. And war stories. What a great combination?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We got together, came out with a DF, I reported, and put it back in play as fast as we could.
Why did you come up with a double foul? What was the rules set in force (NCAA-W, NFHS, etc....)
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
Why did you come up with a double foul? What was the rules set in force (NCAA-W, NFHS, etc....)
I'm pretty sure he was working under NFHS rules...as an aside, all major USA codes (NFHS, NCAA-M, NCAA-W, NBA) except for NCAA-W would handle this as a double foul (save for complications involving the RA/LDB).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'm pretty sure he was working under NFHS rules...as an aside, all major USA codes (NFHS, NCAA-M, NCAA-W, NBA) except for NCAA-W would handle this as a double foul (save for complications involving the RA/LDB).
Yes, I know. I just wanted that in the OP's explanation as I watched a D2 women's game before my men's game that did this incorrectly. They went double foul and should have come out with one or the other.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
Why did you come up with a double foul? What was the rules set in force.
NFHS: 4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Fair question, we were working with NFHS (with summer modifications) rules.