The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
this few series of posts is a classic example of what happens on a message board....usually it's two different people both "arguing" their point of view....and they don't realize that they are each right...yet continue arguing for many pages....

If I were the Lead in this game (or the center), I would have called a team control foul on the passer. Shot not released prior to the foul, therefore no basket.

If you were the Lead in this gme (or the center), you would have called a blocking foul on the defender. If you deemed the foul to have occurred AFTER the natural shooting motion began, then you would count the basket.

We each have the rule interpretation right....we just disagree on the blocking foul.

IMHO, this is a pretty clear-cut team control foul on the passer. They could put the video of this play next to this rule in the online rule book as the "gold standard".
Fair enough...but your reply to whether the shot should count was to a post (that you quoted) ruling that it was a block...so that was the context. I can't read you mind if you want to flip the call without saying so.

As for it being clear cut, I called it a block because the defender stuck their shoulder out moved into the passer.

How can I tell? The directions the two players go after contact. The passer was deflected 90 degrees towards the sideline. The defender went mostly straight back but also slightly towards the sideline. The only way that happens is if the defender was moving towards the sideline at the time of contact AND into the side of the passer. The passer didn't go through the defender. If the passer had gone through the defender, the defender would have been knocked the opposite direction of the passer....certainly not in the same direction.
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
How can I tell? The directions the two players go after contact. The passer was deflected 90 degrees towards the sideline. The defender went mostly straight back but also slightly towards the sideline. The only way that happens is if the defender was moving towards the sideline at the time of contact AND into the side of the passer. The passer didn't go through the defender. If the passer had gone through the defender, the defender would have been knocked the opposite direction of the passer....certainly not in the same direction.
I thought I was the only one who used this logic on block/charge situations

It's physics, folks, pure and simple.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 06:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rocket Science ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It's physics, folks, pure and simple.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Awesome! I went to a science high school (yes, this song was popular when I was there). We think about these things
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 08:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... I called it a block because the defender stuck their shoulder out moved into the passer.
How can I tell? Not as complicated as your answer. I can tell b/c I observed B1 step towards A1 and make contact with his shoulder into A1's chest.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 29, 2012 at 12:55pm.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 09:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
1st view...block...and count the basket.
I've clearly not had my head in basketball at all because at first I thought you were crazy on both points but after reading the discussion here, realized I wasn't looking at this right.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 10:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
maybe? And maybe bears defecate in the woods. Maybe the pope's catholic. Maybe the sky's blue. Maybe a one legged duck swims in a circle. Maybe a frog has a waterproof butt. Maybe chickens cross the road to get to the other side. Maybe water is wet. Maybe, just maybe, elvis is dead.
:d
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
How can I tell? Not as complicated as your answer. I can tell b/c I observed B1 step towards A1 and make contact with his shoulder into A1's chest.
That too, but that point was essentially already covered and some just couldn't see it.

Even if you can't "see" it, you can use basic physics to tell what happened from the results.

Think billiards....can you ever hit a stationary ball on the left side and have it go left? No, not possible. The only way that the target ball can go left is if it was moving left before impact with more momentum in that direction than the other ball had in the opposite direction.

You can use these concepts to know who was moving into who without ever seeing the contact. (You have to see it enough to rule out flopping, of course).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue May 29, 2012 at 02:50pm.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But Still, I'm Glad That You Got A Kick Out Of It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Awesome!
You really shouldn't encourage me. bob jenkins would be very disappointed in you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You really shouldn't encourage me. bob jenkins would be very disappointed in you.
It's only because you picked a song I like.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if you can't "see" it, you can use basic physics to tell what happened from the results.

Think billiards...
Unlike billiard balls, humans can change their direction. I think at least part of the passer's 90 degree exit on this play was because he had turned to make the pass and it was natural to step straight back. I agree with BadNewsRef- you need to see the defender step forward to get the call right. You can be fooled by physics.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Unlike billiard balls, humans can change their direction. I think at least part of the passer's 90 degree exit on this play was because he had turned to make the pass and it was natural to step straight back. I agree with BadNewsRef- you need to see the defender step forward to get the call right. You can be fooled by physics.
It's not foolproof but it does work most of the time.

If I'm moving towards you and you're either not moving or moving away from me and I hit you, my momentum will take both of us in the direction I was going. If I'm moving towards you and you even move a little towards me, we're going to bounce off each other and head in different directions.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

For me, a no-call. I felt like the defender flopped. I think in an away from the ball, take 2 points away situation, to get a team control call it must be very clear. This is not clearly a team control foul, obviously, from all the disagreement.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Yes, people can add their own movement to the collision....but that doesn't make both people move differently. The key is not so much the offensive player's direction but the defender's. With your statement that the passer stepped that way, then the defenders subsequent fall in that same direction is even stronger evidence that it was a block....if he still fell that direction, he could have only done so if he was moving that direction.

And yes, you need to see it, but the reactions tell a lot....a confirmation that, yes, he did step into the passer.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Keep in mind that the ball has to be released by the shooter (not simply starting the act of shooting) when a teammate commits a foul in order for the basket to count.

If you think about it, the timing of these type of plays almost NEVER allows for this basket to count.
I was thinking the same thing. And MAN does that lead need to SLOW DOWN HIS MECHANICS. Too much Starbucks. Must have been an 8:00 a.m. tip..