The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Handing-off of an inbounds pass to the opposing team??? play on or violation?

Tonight we had an interesting play in our game. Instead of the inbounds player handing it off to his own teammate, he handed it off to a player on the opposing team from the inbounds. Basically, the inbounds passer placed the ball over the line and handed it off to the defender. Since, the pass was never thrown in, would that be out of bounds on the defender? out of bounds on the inbounds passer? or play on?

Everyone just kinda stopped for a second and since there was no whistle, play resumed. It just seems akward. I looked all over the rule book and all i can find is that A.) the ball must be passed in. B.) if an inbounds passer hands off to his own teammmate, it is an out of bounds violation.

So my question is, what would the ruling be on this?
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

7.6.4 SITUATION A: While attempting a throw-in, A1 holds the ball through the plane of the end line. B1: (a) slaps the ball from A1’s hand(s); or (b) simply grabs the ball and then throws it through B’s basket.

RULING: In (a), no violation has occurred and play continues. In (b), score two points for Team B.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 16, 2012, 12:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoHristo View Post
Tonight we had an interesting play in our game. Instead of the inbounds player handing it off to his own teammate, he handed it off to a player on the opposing team from the inbounds. Basically, the inbounds passer placed the ball over the line and handed it off to the defender. Since, the pass was never thrown in, would that be out of bounds on the defender? out of bounds on the inbounds passer? or play on?

Everyone just kinda stopped for a second and since there was no whistle, play resumed. It just seems akward. I looked all over the rule book and all i can find is that A.) the ball must be passed in. B.) if an inbounds passer hands off to his own teammmate, it is an out of bounds violation.

So my question is, what would the ruling be on this?
And if B1 and the thrower-in get in a held ball situation, use the arrow. If you were using the arrow, A keeps the APA TI.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
7.6.4 SITUATION A: While attempting a throw-in, A1 holds the ball through the plane of the end line. B1: (a) slaps the ball from A1’s hand(s); or (b) simply grabs the ball and then throws it through B’s basket.

RULING: In (a), no violation has occurred and play continues. In (b), score two points for Team B.
thanks.. great explanation
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoHristo View Post
thanks.. great explanation

I'm sure APG will pass on your kudos to the authors and editors of the NFHS casebook.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I'm sure APG will pass on your kudos to the authors and editors of the NFHS casebook.
Nope, I'll take full credit.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.