The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Missed Violation (game 6 in Philly)

Hey APG,

Just around the last 1:00 mark of the Bulls/Sixers game it looked like the Bulls failed to get the ball to the frontcourt w/i 8 seconds. It occurred following a missed shot and rebound.

thanks.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Not used to all this NBA talk on the forums haha...I'll have a clip up later.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 11, 2012, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Technically, the play was an 8 second violation...in real time, it's close, so I have no problem with passing on the play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Fri May 11, 2012 at 02:23am.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

man I must not watch enough NBA, what in the world is an 8 second violation?
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 09:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
man I must not watch enough NBA, what in the world is an 8 second violation?
A team has 8 seconds, upon gaining team control, to give the ball front court status.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 09:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Thanks APG. By strict enforcement this should have been a violation as Chicago didn't get FC status before the shot clock hit 15.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I see CJ my man crossing the line around 15.. So pass on the 8 sec call.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Technically, the play was an 8 second violation...in real time, it's close, so I have no problem with passing on the play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
I see CJ my man crossing the line around 15.. So pass on the 8 sec call.
I've got the same thing, but I have 3 points across with 15 on the clock. 24-15 = 9, though. That's a violation.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've got the same thing, but I have 3 points across with 15 on the clock. 24-15 = 9, though. That's a violation.
Negative...15 is the new "magic" number for 8 second violation as they changed the way the shot clock counts down initially...last year, a fresh 24 clock really meant 24.9 seconds...this year, with the rule change mandating tenths of a second show with 5 or less on the shot clock, they changed the clock so that when it counts down initially, it shows 23 right away. With that change, the magic number had to be changed from 16 to 15 to allow a full 8 seconds to advance the ball.

Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Negative...15 is the new "magic" number for 8 second violation as they changed the way the shot clock counts down initially...last year, a fresh 24 clock really meant 24.9 seconds...this year, with the rule change mandating tenths of a second show with 5 or less on the shot clock, they changed the clock so that when it counts down initially, it shows 23 right away. With that change, the magic number had to be changed from 16 to 15 to allow a full 8 seconds to advance the ball.
That explains why it's not a violation when he's at the 3 pt line in the backcourt. But the clock hits 15 before he gets the 3rd point across.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That explains why it's not a violation when he's at the 3 pt line in the backcourt. But the clock hits 15 before he gets the 3rd point across.
Which is why I said it was technically a violation. I was just addressing why it's a violation at 15 rather than 16 (which is was last year).

Old Sat May 12, 2012, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

You want another violation: There was a lane violation on the last free throw by Philadelphia on Asik's last free throw in the final seconds.
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
You want another violation: There was a lane violation on the last free throw by Philadelphia on Asik's last free throw in the final seconds.

That's not a violation (on the guy entering in from outside the 3 point lane) that's going to be call regardless...unless maybe if the player got the rebound...maybe.

Old Sat May 12, 2012, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
A team has 8 seconds, upon gaining team control, to give the ball front court status.
And to supplement what JR said, a team has 8 "hard" seconds to do so...absent of any defensive fouls, violations, infection control, and/or technical fouls.

Old Sat May 12, 2012, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

I'm referring to the Philly player on the far side of the court on the outer free throw block nearest the shooter. Admittedly hair-splitting and I wouldn't have called it.