The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Best missed game check ever

With the unfortunate cancer stories floating around in the community lately, I thought I'd share this story. I don't know all of the specifics, but we have an official in our area that has been battling cancer. He had to take last year off due to this, and originally thought at the beginning of the season he'd be back, so he accepted some game assignments. Things went downhill for him, and he ended up cancelling; with me taking over most of his schedule.

I was supposed to work Thursday for him, when I received a call Thursday morning from the school's AD, saying that the official had called that morning, saying he felt great and that his doctor had cleared him to work if he wanted to. The AD then asked me if it was all right if the guy worked the games that evening. Well what the heck could I say?

I immediately agreed, excited that he could come back. I didn't make it to the games, but I guess he did well, and we're going to get in contact about possibly splitting up the rest of his former schedule that I was put into. He didn't think he could get back into all of them, but he can have what he wants. The dollars out of my pocket vs. him getting back into what he loves is more than a square trade.

For all of you battling this terrible stuff, keep fighting. I hope this story brings a little good karma to all of you and your families.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Great story Don...

I've read that one aspect of Cancer is that it is a disease of the mind. While I think it would be very hard to be eternally positive with such circumstances, it is said that a postive mindset and lack of stress can actually aid in slowing the progression of cancer cells....

I think this guy being able to do this lends to the positive mind aspect...but not sure about the stress part ....I think it's great that you gave the games back
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 10:12am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
The dollars out of my pocket vs. him getting back into what he loves is more than a square trade.
Great attitude!! And I agree 100%.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 01:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

If the guy lived in my area, I'd give him all the games he wanted. My thoughts and prayers are with him.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Awesome story...i've lost a couple family members to cancer. Thats a great gesture...
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If the guy lived in my area, I'd give him all the games he wanted. My thoughts and prayers are with him.
I told him he could have all the games back that he wanted, but he doesn't want to risk anything by taking back his ful schedule. Basically he's taking back what he wants and I'm taking the rest. Kinda stinks I won't get to work with him though this year; maybe one his partners will call off