The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Missed FT Violation - FYI

Had a close G V last night and a strange thing caught our eye. 30 years experience on the crew we all missed this one. Sharing.

As ball presented to a free-throw shooter, she would set her "toe "outside the line and slowly drag it back behind the line, set up and shoot without violation - all with the ball in her hand. Happened twice and did not effect outcome of the game.

This is a violation per Rule 9 ART. 7 . . . The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket or the free-throw semicircle line.

We missed that this applies to preshot routines too.

When shooter gets the ball they should already be inside the semi-circle and stay there.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I would be unlikely to call it. Don't be a plumber.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

i agree ignore it
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
When shooter gets the ball they should already be inside the semi-circle and stay there.
I hate when the shooter backs out of the circle after the first shot. Some of them call for the ball before they re-enter the circle not realizing it would be a violation for them to catch it out there. I usually gives these players somer sort of impatient non-verbal as I wait to toss them the ball.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I would be unlikely to call it. Don't be a plumber.
Basically, I agree. What would you do if the opposing coach was pointedly letting you know that he knows the rule?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

this is where i would ask the coach if he saw the new Rocky. And while he is confused I make my escape
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'd warn her that what she was doing was illegal (similar to checking the lane lines for violations before bouncing the ball to the shooter) and, if she persisted, I'd call the violation.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Basically, I agree. What would you do if the opposing coach was pointedly letting you know that he knows the rule?
Give him/her a piece of gum from my stash and walk away.

Seriously, I'd say that nobody's gaining an advantage and then get rated down
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I'd warn her that what she was doing was illegal (similar to checking the lane lines for violations before bouncing the ball to the shooter) and, if she persisted, I'd call the violation.
I agree. If you don't say anything to her, the next ref team may just call it and she's going to be awfully confused as to the ruling. And, if after warning her you don't call it, then she's not learning anything.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
this is where i would ask the coach if he saw the new Rocky. And while he is confused I make my escape
This gets my vote for post of the day!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I agree. If you don't say anything to her, the next ref team may just call it and she's going to be awfully confused as to the ruling. And, if after warning her you don't call it, then she's not learning anything.
I also agree. There are far too many cases where rules have been written (such as this one) and referees, who are there to administer these rules, choose to ignore things they don't agree with, don't feel causes a disadvantage, or for some other strange reason other than not seeing it or not knowing the rule, choose not to call.

Here's a good example - A violates the throwin on the baseline after a made basket by team B. No press, no one except a teammate within a mile, and therefore, no "advantage" gained or lost. Ignore it? I think not.

The rules are there - and our job is to keep the players safe and adminitster those rules - not rewrite them as we see fit based on what we "think" should be called.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
First time, smile.

Second time, tell him to knock it off.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
I also agree. There are far too many cases where rules have been written (such as this one) and referees, who are there to administer these rules, choose to ignore things they don't agree with, don't feel causes a disadvantage, or for some other strange reason other than not seeing it or not knowing the rule, choose not to call.

Here's a good example - A violates the throwin on the baseline after a made basket by team B. No press, no one except a teammate within a mile, and therefore, no "advantage" gained or lost. Ignore it? I think not.

The rules are there - and our job is to keep the players safe and adminitster those rules - not rewrite them as we see fit based on what we "think" should be called.
a-d-m-i-n-i-s-t-e-r
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
a-d-m-i-n-i-s-t-e-r
Sorry - that happens when you are typing on your phone and miss a key or get an extra one. The substance of the message I wrote is a bit more important than the misspelling of one word.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Agreed, but we must also call by the intent of the rule. Since the intent isn't always known, it becomes a tough line to walk.

In the OP, I think the intent is to prevent (a) the running / jumping layup / dunk and (b) the easy rebound by the shooter. Since neither of those things is happening during the pre-shot ritual described, I would be unlikely to call it.