The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

missed bc violation

Did anyone else see the missed backcourt violation a mere 7 seconds into the UConn/Duke women's game?

UConn eventually gained control following the jump. This player was in her frontcourt and turned and passed the ball to a teammate who jumped from the backcourt and caught the ball prior to landing in the fc. No whistle.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Did anyone else see the missed backcourt violation a mere 7 seconds into the UConn/Duke women's game?

UConn eventually gained control following the jump. This player was in her frontcourt and turned and passed the ball to a teammate who jumped from the backcourt and caught the ball prior to landing in the fc. No whistle.
Looked to me like there might have been one 39 minutes and 52 seconds later too on the other guys.

All in all, I think not a night that crew will wish to remember. Hopefully, there are some bars still open in Bridgeport.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, it didn't appear to be a great night for the crew. Missed backcourt violation with 2 seconds left; erroneous shot-clock violation; one official coming in with emphatic held-ball signal after her partner had already called held-ball and signalled direction; blowing the whistle for a foul at end of game when gametime had clearly expired.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
blowing the whistle for a foul at end of game when gametime had clearly expired.
It was a little tough watching the Connecticut seniors standing around not knowing for sure whether they could start to cry yet.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

What's with all the crying in the NCAA this year anyway?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Out of the things I saw, the shotclock violation call was the worst. It was SOOO obvious that it hit the rim, the ball totally changed direction. I just don't see why he would make that call, and if you have ANY doubt you should let it go because the T or L will have a better look at it.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Out of the things I saw, the shotclock violation call was the worst. It was SOOO obvious that it hit the rim, the ball totally changed direction. I just don't see why he would make that call, and if you have ANY doubt you should let it go because the T or L will have a better look at it.
:

How in the world would the lead have a look in a halfcourt set to see if the ball hit the rim? Especially in a women's game???
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Nevada,

Maybe I didn't see the play correctly, but here's what I thought I saw: inbounds pass is tipped, but not controlled, in the FC by Duke's Monique Curry. She jumps to recover the tip, landing with one foot in the FC, then the other foot lands in the BC. Since there was no possession on the tip, doesn't this fall under the throw-in exception?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
Nevada,

Maybe I didn't see the play correctly, but here's what I thought I saw: inbounds pass is tipped, but not controlled, in the FC by Duke's Monique Curry. She jumps to recover the tip, landing with one foot in the FC, then the other foot lands in the BC. Since there was no possession on the tip, doesn't this fall under the throw-in exception?
Maybe that's b/c you were viewing the play from the Durham angle???

Just messing with you JB, I didn't see the play so I don't know what happened.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
Nevada,

The throw-in ended with the first tip, exception no longer in effect when possesion gained.

Oops. See Dan ref's post post. The throw-in does not end until possesion is gained.

Last edited by SamIAm; Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:43am.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
The throw-in ended with the first tip, exception no longer in effect when possesion gained.
This is not quite right.

Under ncaa rules the throw-in ends not on the touch but when control is gained from the inbounds pass.

jbduke wrote:

"Maybe I didn't see the play correctly, but here's what I thought I saw: inbounds pass is tipped, but not controlled, in the FC by Duke's Monique Curry. She jumps to recover the tip, landing with one foot in the FC, then the other foot lands in the BC. Since there was no possession on the tip, doesn't this fall under the throw-in exception?"

On a throw-in or a jump ball this is legal, any player can take control in the air & land with 1 or both feet in the BC.