The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess it depends on the official and what you live by. I do not think the block/charge call is that difficult at all. I think it is usually an easy call if you watch the right things.

Peace
That's funny, because the other thread "Call on the Floor = PC is basically the same thing and you got it wrong too.

In both cases the defender is moving forward and into the offense, this time the L started to show...she learned her lesson and was really slow in the C-ship game to avoid the BLARGE
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 05:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
That's funny, because the other thread "Call on the Floor = PC is basically the same thing and you got it wrong too.

In both cases the defender is moving forward and into the offense, this time the L started to show...she learned her lesson and was really slow in the C-ship game to avoid the BLARGE
What did I get wrong? I was not on the floor making these calls. And you can disagree and that is fine by me, but the other play in question the player took the contact in the chest and basically was waiting on the ball handler. Her body and feet where in front of the ball handler, that is a PC foul all the way IMO. The ball handler was also not really airborne when the contact occurred either.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 05:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If you'd like something fun to watch, check this link out...

It's the two videos side by side!

UConn ND PC or not PC vs. UConn ND Block or no Block? by VJ JugglingReferee | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 05:28am

If I was the lady in the nice red dress, I'd like to know how the plays are different. Are they that dissimilar that they warrant different calls?
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

You're not the first one to say this on these plays, but I don't see it. I see the defender moving sideways and backwards; not towards the ball handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If I was the lady in the nice red dress, I'd like to know how the plays are different. Are they that dissimilar that they warrant different calls?
I thought the same thing.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Coach...that other guy got it wrong."

There, done.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
"Coach...that other guy got it wrong."

There, done.
Partner, meet bus.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Partner, meet bus.
Oh come on.

We're not talking about during the game.

Think the coaches know about this site?

We "bus" about ten thousand times a day here.

Last edited by canuckrefguy; Sat Apr 07, 2012 at 04:00pm.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 05:08pm
Back from the DL

I have a PC by a hair.

The defender doesn't have LGP until after the gather -- which doesn't matter by rule -- though she has it just before the shooter goes airborne. Still, that's a tough call for the defender to come that far away without LGP and nail it at the last possible split-second.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What did I get wrong? I was not on the floor making these calls. And you can disagree and that is fine by me, but the other play in question the player took the contact in the chest and basically was waiting on the ball handler. Her body and feet where in front of the ball handler, that is a PC foul all the way IMO. The ball handler was also not really airborne when the contact occurred either.

Peace
You rendered your decisions on both calls, and your judgment is incorrect on both. You called one a block and the other a PC. Yes, these are your opinions on both calls, but in both plays the defense is moving into the path of the shooter. In both cases you got it wrong, especially if you subscribe to the teachings of the NCAA, which you claim you do.

Just keep doing what you typically do, twist things just enough to get off the subject and divert attention from your incorrect rulings.

It's ok to admit your mistakes, learn from it and improve.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:55pm

Quote:
You rendered your decisions on both calls, and your judgment is incorrect on both. You called one a block and the other a PC. Yes, these are your opinions on both calls, but in both plays the defense is moving into the path of the shooter. In both cases you got it wrong, especially if you subscribe to the teachings of the NCAA, which you claim you do.

Just keep doing what you typically do, twist things just enough to get off the subject and divert attention from your incorrect rulings.

You should have been here years ago when Nevada really dug into Rut.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I do not think I am wrong on either play. Are both very close? Yes they are, but that does not mean I am wrong either. And both players are not moving at the time of contact, one stops and both contacts are not the same as one was not even an airborne shooter when the contact occurs. They ended up in the air, but not when they hit the defender in the chest. But maybe Golf is your game, not basketball.

Do not get mad at me because I gave you crap about your little confusing OT post. There were others that were confused by your little post about golf and said so. There is even more disagreement about these plays for all kinds of reasons and point of views. So there is nothing to admit to when people back and forth disagree like should be expected when a video is shown. And considering that almost everyone watching considered both PC fouls, I wonder why you are not going off on them about their opinion. Hmmmmmmm.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not think I am wrong on either play. Are both very close? Yes they are, but that does not mean I am wrong either. And both players are not moving at the time of contact, one stops and both contacts are not the same as one was not even an airborne shooter when the contact occurs. They ended up in the air, but not when they hit the defender in the chest. But maybe Golf is your game, not basketball.

Do not get mad at me because I gave you crap about your little confusing OT post. There were others that were confused by your little post about golf and said so. There is even more disagreement about these plays for all kinds of reasons and point of views. So there is nothing to admit to when people back and forth disagree like should be expected when a video is shown. And considering that almost everyone watching considered both PC fouls, I wonder why you are not going off on them about their opinion. Hmmmmmmm.

Peace
Both players momentum are carrying the defenders into the offensive players at the time of contact, neither has established LGP. Obviously, basketball is not your game.

Not mad and really don't care, it doesn't bother me that you didn't like the golf video stuff, understand its not for everyone - nuff said. What I don't like is that you come in here saying you do this and you do that, or you don't do this or that and I called you on it, it was proven to you and you didn't like it.

You tell people that you are college official that subscribes to many of the philosophies being employed the last several years, but when 2 nearly identical plays are displayed you go against those very philosophies. If you are trying to educate others, the least you can do is be consistent.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Both players momentum are carrying the defenders into the offensive players at the time of contact, neither has established LGP. Obviously, basketball is not your game.
I bet you there are people where I live wish that basketball was not my game either.

Quote:
Not mad and really don't care, it doesn't bother me that you didn't like the golf video stuff, understand its not for everyone - nuff said. What I don't like is that you come in here saying you do this and you do that, or you don't do this or that and I called you on it, it was proven to you and you didn't like it.
What was I proven wrong about? Again if you disagree with my take on the calls that is fine. But you do realize that there are others that agreed with me and others that disagreed with me on both of these plays (Probably too stupid to realize that, but then again you did not say the others were wrong). Again what I say seems to bother you a lot based on this comment alone. If I admit something or do not admit something that you want me to, not much in your life is going to change unless of course you do not have much of a life in the first place. Literally until the previous conversation about your golf post, I really did not even know you existed on this site at all. You are not someone that has contributed a lot to this site in my opinion, you are not someone's opinion that I all of a sudden respect and not someone that has the demeanor to be an official if my words, a guy you will never meet and likely never work with bothers you that much.

Quote:
You tell people that you are college official that subscribes to many of the philosophies being employed the last several years, but when 2 nearly identical plays are displayed you go against those very philosophies. If you are trying to educate others, the least you can do is be consistent.
The two plays are not identical and just because you say so does not make them so. If you knew anything about officiating you would realize that not too many plays in a game or on video are identical. I did not just star reviewing video on this site. These plays are certainly similar, but not the exact same and have different elements to how the contact took place and did not take place. I am not trying to do anything either, I took a position on the plays and just like anyone they can disagree. There is after all reasons that some guys work college ball and others work JH and complain about their schedules too. I know NBA and NCAA officials that people here and elsewhere would not agree with (and haven't when their words were posted here), so why would I think I am so special to believe that everyone would agree with me? What you need to do is stop worrying about my opinion and worry about why you are where you are in your career. Then maybe and only then you will understand anything about me. After this conversation I will not even think about what you have to say because like the rest of your comments here are irrelevant to me and probably many others reading them.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pull Up A Chair ...

Quote:
Obviously, basketball is not your game.
This is going to get good. Let the "fun" begin.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)