The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Call on the court = Block. Your opinion? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90458-call-court-block-your-opinion.html)

JetMetFan Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:20am

Call on the court = Block. Your opinion?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wLe7MC-VlRo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

truerookie Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:23am

I seen this play and thought it could have been a PCF.

brainbrian Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:48am

The lead started to signal for an offensive foul. It's important to hold your signals on double whistles and pregame who is going to take these calls.

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:59am

PC for me.

I thought in Women's Div 1 the C and T always took block/charge when it originates in their area. So the L was going to punch it which I had as the correct call, but she should have been the one just holding a fist up.

Is this correct?

ballgame99 Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:04am

that's pretty close. I'm inclined to agree with the block at full speed, but would not have argued if a PC were called either.

Jeremy Hohn Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 836054)
PC for me.

I thought in Women's Div 1 the C and T always took block/charge when it originates in their area. So the L was going to punch it which I had as the correct call, but she should have been the one just holding a fist up.

Is this correct?

Correct.

Adam Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:23am

I've got a charge, defender has LGP and is moving back and to her right. Perfectly legal, IMO. L had the right call, but she was also right to give it up to the C. Had they gone DW, I think NCAAW would have them pick one, and they would have gone with the C's call anyway.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 836054)
PC for me.

Is this correct?

Thats the procedure for all levels of NCAA-W.
Although the L has a whistle in favor of the p/c supporters, should she have even put air in it?

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 836070)
Thats the procedure for all levels of NCAA-W.
Although the L has a whistle in favor of the p/c supporters, should she have even put air in it?

I don't mind air in the whistle, I do mind the partial mechanic. Our of your primary, come in late and hold your signal. If you're late and you're the only whistle, then you can fire off a nice mechanic. But if you're late and you're the second whistle, which most likely you are, just hold.

Welpe Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:46am

PC foul all the way.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 836086)
I don't mind air in the whistle, I do mind the partial mechanic. Our of your primary, come in late and hold your signal. If you're late and you're the only whistle, then you can fire off a nice mechanic. But if you're late and you're the second whistle, which most likely you are, just hold.

Many of the people that do the hiring see it just the opposite of you. They mind air in the whistle across the paint & dont care much about what an official was "going to do." You either signalled or you didnt...

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 836094)
Many of the people that do the hiring see it just the opposite of you. They mind air in the whistle across the paint & dont care much about what an official was "going to do." You either signalled or you didnt...

Fair Enough

Camron Rust Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:46am

I agree this is very close, but I have a block. No LGP...defender was still moving into the path until the time of contact.

JRutledge Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24pm

I have a block on this play. The defender never stops and is coming forward toward the shooter.

Peace

Bad Zebra Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:48pm

Block in real time. Too close to reverse it in slow mo...and Doris Burke actually said something accurate for a change..."This is the hardest call in basketball...any official will tell you that"