The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I'm willing to give it another look. At what time is LGP obtained?
I initially had her with LGP from the start, but with a more narrow view of "in the path," I can see why you'd say she didn't have it that long. Either way, I have her, at the latest, getting LGP right before contact in her chest.

And I still say the extended trail leg is irrelevant unless it's the point of contact.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I initially had her with LGP from the start, but with a more narrow view of "in the path," I can see why you'd say she didn't have it that long. Either way, I have her, at the latest, getting LGP right before contact in her chest.

And I still say the extended trail leg is irrelevant unless it's the point of contact.
Oh okay, no need for me to go back if you have initial LGP just prior to contact. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the offense here.

You consider the extended leg to be the trail, I have the forward leg being the extended leg since that is the direction she is attempting to go.

No biggie, tough play, tough call!
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I think you need to give it up, you are obviously past your prime and you are so wrong that you need to admit your faults because this is nothing but a block. Oh I forgot, I am not a golf guy.

Sorry, back to your regular scheduled programing.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Oh okay, no need for me to go back if you have initial LGP just prior to contact. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the offense here.

You consider the extended leg to be the trail, I have the forward leg being the extended leg since that is the direction she is attempting to go.

No biggie, tough play, tough call!
Ah, I saw her left leg as extended. Either way, the contact is in the torso, not the leg, so I consider it irrelevant. You're right, though, not a huge deal as it's very close and as a partner, I could easily back either call.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm willing to give it another look. At what time is LGP obtained?
As I said earlier, she didn't, IMO.

The "path" goes through "the block". To obtain LGP after sliding in front of the shooter, she must have two feet on the floor while having her torso (not just a foot) over the block. She puts her right foot on the block and is still coming into position. She lifts her left foot in order to shift her torso into the path and never gets it back to the floor before contact....no LGP.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron rust View Post
as i said earlier, she didn't, imo.

The "path" goes through "the block". To obtain lgp after sliding in front of the shooter, she must have two feet on the floor while having her torso (not just a foot) over the block. she puts her right foot on the block and is still coming into position. She lifts her left foot in order to shift her torso into the path and never gets it back to the floor before contact....no lgp.
+1
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Ah, I saw her left leg as extended. Either way, the contact is in the torso, not the leg, so I consider it irrelevant. You're right, though, not a huge deal as it's very close and as a partner, I could easily back either call.
Totally agree.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think you need to give it up, you are obviously past your prime and you are so wrong that you need to admit your faults because this is nothing but a block. Oh I forgot, I am not a golf guy.

Peace
Yeah but.....
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Totally agree.

Peace
I wasnt saying the contact was in the leg, simply using the leg slide as a guideline for obtaining LGP. I never saw 2 feet on the wood, in the path of the offense prior to contact.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Rut-h*le, I knew you couldn't let it go old timer.

I understand that people see this as a 50-50 play. All I have said and continue to say is that since this is a college play, and you are a college official that has said that you follow the guidelines now in use, that I disagree with your application of those guidelines and therefore your judgement on the play is ICC.

OK, so you're not a golf guy or basketball guy

Keep up or get out

Enjoy
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I wasnt saying the contact was in the leg, simply using the leg slide as a guideline for obtaining LGP. I never saw 2 feet on the wood, in the path of the offense prior to contact.
I did not suggest that is what you were saying. I just think many take the wideness of the legs as a reason to make a call against the defender or suggest that the player was not in LGP. I was much more agreeing with the quoted comments because others have used the wideness of the legs as the reason.

Now to say you never saw both feet on the wood, not sure what you saw on the video. The player slide over go get in the way. They did not hop over there on one leg. The issue for me is did the player maintain LGP more than if they ever had LGP initially They did face the opponent before they got there as well.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 11:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
Rut-h*le, I knew you couldn't let it go old timer.

I understand that people see this as a 50-50 play. All I have said and continue to say is that since this is a college play, and you are a college official that has said that you follow the guidelines now in use, that I disagree with your application of those guidelines and therefore your judgement on the play is ICC.

OK, so you're not a golf guy or basketball guy

Keep up or get out

Enjoy
Your season ended before mine did right? Seems like someone needs to look in the mirror.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 12:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As I said earlier, she didn't, IMO.

The "path" goes through "the block". To obtain LGP after sliding in front of the shooter, she must have two feet on the floor while having her torso (not just a foot) over the block. She puts her right foot on the block and is still coming into position. She lifts her left foot in order to shift her torso into the path and never gets it back to the floor before contact....no LGP.
UHmmmm, Camron it seems that you are adding quite a bit here to the definition of obtaining LGP. I get that you are explaining your position on the call, but that's adding a whole lot to what the rule book actually says.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I do not officiate women's basketball, but I have a block and don't see it being close.

On another topic, Is the outside official supposed to make this call? I have seen lots of women's officials make this call from the outside so I'm curious if the mechanic/primary coverage is different. It seems like a difficult playcalling sequence coming from the outside official on a secondary defender.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 01:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I do not officiate women's basketball, but I have a block and don't see it being close.

On another topic, Is the outside official supposed to make this call? I have seen lots of women's officials make this call from the outside so I'm curious if the mechanic/primary coverage is different. It seems like a difficult playcalling sequence coming from the outside official on a secondary defender.
Yes this call should come from the C - who happens to be in a terrible position on this play. And it's not a secondary defender - there was never any other defender to be a "primary defender" who got beat. So the C should have this call as the drive originated in his primary.