The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I haven't seen 7 iron ref, but I have seen JRut work in a game that featured one team that ran the Grinnell system.

Now JRut doesn't need any affirmation from me, but I have seen a lot of games officiated by the best in three different associations and Rut was as good as any I've seen. Very crisp signals, positioning, communication and the man is in very good shape (better than 90% of the officials I have seen or worked with.)
And the fact you say this with our blarge, that must say a lot.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What is REALLY funny is that the two actually agreed on the play. ...

This is probably the longest argument I've seen where the two sides didn't realize they had actually agreed. It really looks like ONE of the two was more intent on attacking the other rather than discussing the play. Fore!
Actually I have to correct the record a little. You were kind of there but not totally complete in your references.

He was upset that I did not think that both plays that were posted were not seen the exact same and rule both were blocks that JetMetFan posted on the same day. I said one play was a block and the other was a charge. He claimed they were exactly the same and I should have ruled both blocks. He even suggested that the defenders did the exact same thing at the time of contact. Then two regular posters called him on that fact and instead of addressing their comments, he went after me again. My position was the both plays were not the same and why I felt one was a block (I believe in this thread) and the other play was a charge. And then he suggested that someone in their 30s is over the hill and needs to stop officiating, but if I recall this is a person that just started working college ball of any kind and asked a question about what to do in a college situation. I guess because I did not just start working college ball a year ago I am over the hill (sorry but that was the funniest insult). If being in your 30s makes you over the hill, and then most of the officials I work with must be decrepit as most are older than me by more than a few years. And these are very successful officials I am talking about. Most officials younger than me have not broken in to varsity ball or if they work college they are just getting started.

I am glad everyone in entertained but this was funny to me, because I was not talking to him at all in this thread until I was addressed. I do not back down from trolls like this.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I've actually seen a bit of him on the court as well, I believe he posted a link or something to one of his games a couple years back.
From what I remember, he not only looked the part but he had some presence about himself too. I didnt think he was an old timer either...
If that was the game that was on "sort of" national TV a few years back at University of Illinois-Chicago for a HS shootout, I was by far the youngest on the crew. Give me a couple of more years and I really am going to be in a wheelchair.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:25pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am glad everyone in entertained
Who said any of it was entertaining???

I think I made it clear that it was tiring.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Who said any of it was entertaining???

I think I made it clear that it was tiring.
Well do what a lot of folks do, ignore it. I know I do the same often when people get into it over what people get into it about on this site from time to time.

Actually Billy said it would be entertaining and even showed some popcorn (post #45 on Page 3), but I digress.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

This particular block/charge was very very close and the drive started from the C's PCA therefore it is his call. That said, the C was pretty much where he should havd been, I would have liked to see him close down as the offensive player drove to the basket, meaning that I don't think he was in the best position to officiate the defense and the L was somewhat straight-lined too, leaving the least likely of the three, the T, with possiblly the best angle to see that this was a charge.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 05:45pm. Reason: Rewrote the second sentence.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's Not Entertainment ...

Quote:
Actually Billy said it would be entertaining and even showed some popcorn.
JRutledge: I apologize for making light of this. Even veteran Forum members can have a difficult time figuring out who the real good officials are on this Forum versus average, or poor officials. Some Forum members can "talk the talk, and walk the walk", others can just "talk the talk". And that's all we do here, is talk. Many of us who have been on the Forum for any length of time may sometimes disagree with you, but I'm sure that most of us realize that you are an official who can probably "walk the walk".

Rookie Forum members have absolutely no idea who can really "walk the walk". Not a clue. I thought for sure that when the new poster "called you out" that you would tear him to shreds, but you didn't, you're too polite, too patient, and too respectful. So it really wasn't very entertaining.

Maybe 7IronRef will eventually earn our respect, after we all get to know him better. Maybe, someday, he'll become an esteemed member, and then we will all look back on this and have a good laugh.

If Jurassic Referee had been around? Now, that would have been entertaining.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 06:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

You are right, if JR was here and a few others, he would have been called a lot more than what I said here for sure. And even if he caught me 7 or 8 years ago I might have done the same. If I have realized anything by this we are kind of in this together. We disagree as we are supposed to disagree. As I said before I use video at one of my association's meetings all the time where I am President, I would get part of the room say one thing and the other saying another. And many would not back down because they see one thing in the video and others see something else. And since I am wrong on one of the plays, it would not be the first time nor the last. Anyone that has been officiating for any length of time knows that.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually I have to correct the record a little. You were kind of there but not totally complete in your references.

He was upset that I did not think that both plays that were posted were not seen the exact same and rule both were blocks that JetMetFan posted on the same day. I said one play was a block and the other was a charge. He claimed they were exactly the same and I should have ruled both blocks. He even suggested that the defenders did the exact same thing at the time of contact.
I was attempting to back you up...he did just spend his entire time attacking you for whatever reason...not deserved for sure and incredibly wrong....and spent little to no time on the point.

He did say, somewhere, that you were wrong on both calls (you said one was a block and one was a charge) and he also posted a ruling where he said both were blocks. So, if you were wrong on the one in this thread, he was too, since you had the same ruling.

His statement here is where he contradicts himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
You rendered your decisions on both calls, and your judgment is incorrect on both. You called one a block and the other a PC. Yes, these are your opinions on both calls, but in both plays the defense is moving into the path of the shooter. In both cases you got it wrong, especially if you subscribe to the teachings of the NCAA, which you claim you do.
BTW, you were wrong on the other once since I had the opposite ruling.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 06:47pm.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 07:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I was attempting to back you up...he did just spend his entire time attacking you for whatever reason...not deserved for sure and incredibly wrong....and spent little to no time on the point.

He did say, somewhere, that you were wrong on both calls (you said one was a block and one was a charge) and he also posted a ruling where he said both were blocks. So, if you were wrong on the one in this thread, he was too, since you had the same ruling.
I am so confused anyway because I really never got why it mattered in this thread what I thought about in another play in the first place. I just wanted to clarify that he thought the two plays were exactly the same which was pointed out to him. I was not taking your post as a slam, just wanted to clarify how silly his point was when he was ripping me about another play that was similar, but not the same. And if I was wrong, he really did not seem to notice that many others disagreed with him on how those plays should be ruled. It was all kind of silly and why I called him a troll. If you are trying to have a constructive discussion about these plays there was/is a case to be made on both sides. But he was obviously worried about what I thought more than anyone else.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 09:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
You rendered your decisions on both calls, and your judgment is incorrect on both. You called one a block and the other a PC. Yes, these are your opinions on both calls, but in both plays the defense is moving into the path of the shooter. In both cases you got it wrong, especially if you subscribe to the teachings of the NCAA, which you claim you do.

Just keep doing what you typically do, twist things just enough to get off the subject and divert attention from your incorrect rulings.

It's ok to admit your mistakes, learn from it and improve.

7IronRef:

What videos were you watching? And listen up whippersnapper, when you have officiated at the level some of us have the number of years we have then you can take can get snippy with us old codgers (Rut, I apologize for calling you an old codger, but I know you understand the point I making.).

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 09:55pm
Administrator

Quote:
That's what old timers always say. The old "I challenge you to an officiating duel" is next I am sure.

Not that it matters but 33 yr old...you probably can't remember that far back

7IronRef:

Big deal, I can quote the appropriate Casebook Plays from 1971 that apply to the two videos we are discussing. Can you?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
7IronRef:

Big deal, I can quote the appropriate Casebook Plays from 1971 that apply to the two videos we are discussing. Can you?

MTD, Sr.
Doubtful he can spell "case plays" without copy and paste.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:52pm
(Something hilarious)

Everyone has fault, and faults. Rut's "little girl" comment is sexist. Other guy uses lots of inappropriate apostrophes. I'm not as fast as I was when I started working college (see what I did there?). We're all flawed.

Motion to drop this and move on.