The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:51pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Should've just had Monica do the anthem like she did for one of the Final Four games...that rendition last night was...."interesting."
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Enough about the officiating, man was that Star Spangled Banner brutal or what??!! Woof.
Indeed....it ranked right up there with the rendition by Rosanne Barr. I usually enjoy the Banner performances at big games....but this one should have never seen the light of day.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,056
The Fray ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Should've just had Monica do the anthem like she did for one of the Final Four games...that rendition last night was...."interesting."
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
All in all, what did we think of the officiating (individual & crew) in the biggest game of the year?

I'm a bit biased so I'll chime in later

Memo to APG: 1 play I'd LOVE to see again is the play in the 2nd half (sorry no time, but I'm sure you remember) where the Kansas player is OOB on the endline while tapping it back in play. The whistle-work, the communication & the style was so beautiful!! If I could incorporate some of that in my game, maybe I could be
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
You didnt like it either! I thought it was more like 8-10 times. If you get a chance throw it up for me sir. Perhaps it will change my mind...

FTR, I thought it was clear to the 2 players at the end of the bench, not so much to the coaching staff located at the top of the bench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I thought there were 2 or 3 questionable above the rim calls made by the L. Other than that it was pretty consistent & no GIs.

Not that I'm into the Fray or nothing like that, but I thought it was original & a pretty cool remix. It was definitely better than some of the students that get out there & embarass themselves at my games.
I just have to ask how old you are because your posts indicate an excitement for flashy over-the-top mechanics and contain the use of camp catch-phrases. I'm guessing that you are between 24 and 27 with about five years of HS basketball officiating experience. Perhaps I am wrong, but you come across that way on the forum to me.

PS are you a bit biased because you are from Denver where Verne Harris lives and perhaps you have interacted with him previously?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Should've just had Monica do the anthem like she did for one of the Final Four games...that rendition last night was...."interesting."
Yep. I said that on my FB page before it was even over. That was probably the worst rendition of the National Anthem I have heard in a very long time if not ever.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I just have to ask how old you are because your posts indicate an excitement for flashy over-the-top mechanics and contain the use of camp catch-phrases. I'm guessing that you are between 24 and 27 with about five years of HS basketball officiating experience. Perhaps I am wrong, but you come across that way on the forum to me.

PS are you a bit biased because you are from Denver where Verne Harris lives and perhaps you have interacted with him previously?
Dude
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I just have to ask how old you are because your posts indicate an excitement for flashy over-the-top mechanics and contain the use of camp catch-phrases. I'm guessing that you are between 24 and 27 with about five years of HS basketball officiating experience. Perhaps I am wrong, but you come across that way on the forum to me.

PS are you a bit biased because you are from Denver where Verne Harris lives and perhaps you have interacted with him previously?
What about me? Oh damn, I posted video of myself.

For the record, I haven't had the pleasure to interact with Verne Harris, but I thought he did a really nice job last night.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Not that I'm into the Fray or nothing like that, but I thought it was original & a pretty cool remix. It was definitely better than some of the students that get out there & embarass themselves at my games.
I'd bet that The Fray made a lot more money for their version than those students you're referring to. Whoever paid them should ask for a refund.

Original it was (for a good reason) but I'm puzzled how a live performance can be called a remix.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
The pick n roll with the UK guards & AD did catch my eye, but I thought they were marginal at best.
Doesnt RSBQ pertain to the ball handler?
No...RSBQ applies to ALL players on the court (defenders as well as offensive players).



Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I liked that they allowed the bigs to bang in a National C'Ship game. Aggresive, physical play is always ok. Rough play is never ok.
The same argument that says: "a foul at the end of the game should be called the same as a foul at the beginning of the game"...is in essence saying: "a foul in the national championship game should be called the same as a foul in the regular season".

imho, the ball screen and post defense plays were called differently than earlier in the year.

Let's see how John Adams "grades out" the crew.

From what I've been told, these were the percentage of correct calls (as determined by John Adams) in previous NCAA Championship games:

2010 Duke v Butler: 78%
2009 North Carolina v Mich. St.: 70%

btw, the best officials in the NBA (who advance to the playoffs) are in the 94% or better range.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:00pm
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
I thought there were several plays that were fouls and were not called. One play that comes to mind was when a Kansas defender just ran into Teague on the perimeter. Teague did a good job of not traveling as a result of the contact.

I'm not sure which of the officials was where on the calls I thought were fouls and it doesn't really matter to me.
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
No...RSBQ applies to ALL players on the court (defenders as well as offensive players).
If you say so... I honestly think you're mistaking FOM for RSBQ.
I guess it all boils down to who's teaching it & how long one has been applying this concept. The people who have been practicing this for more than 5 seasons always seem to have a better understanding than those who have been introduced to this in the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The same argument that says: "a foul at the end of the game should be called the same as a foul at the beginning of the game"...is in essence saying: "a foul in the national championship game should be called the same as a foul in the regular season".

imho, the ball screen and post defense plays were called differently than earlier in the year.
Did those three work together earlier in the year?
Have you watched every game that those three worked this year?
Perhaps the contact by two great defensive teams that have bigs across the board was considered marginal/incidental since nobody was put at a disadvantage?
Afterall, the same contact on a 5'9" player that results in a foul may not be a foul for a 6'9" player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Let's see how John Adams "grades out" the crew.

From what I've been told, these were the percentage of correct calls (as determined by John Adams) in previous NCAA Championship games:

2010 Duke v Butler: 78%
2009 North Carolina v Mich. St.: 70%

btw, the best officials in the NBA (who advance to the playoffs) are in the 94% or better range.
The numbers you listed are Mr. Adams grading out the entire game. Perhaps two officials were in the mid 90s & one officials was considerably lower which in turn drops the crews overall call accuracy ratings.

I respect your opinion though.
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I know the play you're speaking off...the official blew his whistle at least 4-6 times for a clear and obvious OOB call.
Clear and obvious to those photographers and cheerleaders on the endline - not so much to the folks in the cheap seats, or watching at home.

I didn't - and don't - mind it at all. Now if all of a guy's whistles are like that, there's a problem - but since when did having a little personality, presence, and salesmanship become a negative?
__________________
HOMER: Just gimme my gun.
CLERK: Hold on, the law requires a five-day waiting period; we've got run a background check...
HOMER: Five days???? But I'm mad NOW!!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 05, 2012, 01:13am
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Clear and obvious to those photographers and cheerleaders on the endline - not so much to the folks in the cheap seats, or watching at home.

I didn't - and don't - mind it at all. Now if all of a guy's whistles are like that, there's a problem - but since when did having a little personality, presence, and salesmanship become a negative?
I'd debate that anyone watching the game didn't know exactly what the whistle was but that's neither hear or there...I don't mind some of the selling when he closed down and point to the spot...just didn't like the 6 or so whistle that were unneeded to sell the call IMO.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 05, 2012, 09:19am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I thought there were several plays that were fouls and were not called. One play that comes to mind was when a Kansas defender just ran into Teague on the perimeter. Teague did a good job of not traveling as a result of the contact.

I'm not sure which of the officials was where on the calls I thought were fouls and it doesn't really matter to me.
I agree.

I also did not like the fact that quite often both the T and the C were on the ball handler and his defender as the ball was being brought up court and the offense initiated. No pressure - just the two players, and the C is slowly walking up the court with the dribbler and the T.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 05, 2012, 09:20am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
If you say so... I honestly think you're mistaking FOM for RSBQ.
I guess it all boils down to who's teaching it & how long one has been applying this concept. The people who have been practicing this for more than 5 seasons always seem to have a better understanding than those who have been introduced to this in the last few months.
I have to ask, what's the substantive difference between FOM and RSBQ? They're both just different ways to say "prevented from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements." Don't get me wrong , I think they're great thought processes; but I find the insistence on a distinction on when to use which term to be silly. It's sort of like all the responses that come when someone says a coach "called" a timeout, or worrying about "baseline" vs "endline."
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you take to a National? DaveASA/FED Softball 39 Mon Aug 05, 2013 09:03am
DII C'Ship tref Basketball 1 Sat Mar 24, 2012 04:41pm
ASA 12&U National, AL Bandit Softball 25 Sun Aug 07, 2011 08:43pm
My First National Chess Ref Softball 11 Thu Aug 09, 2007 01:02pm
1st National canump Softball 0 Wed Aug 02, 2006 01:13pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1