The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   National C'Ship (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90396-national-cship.html)

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 09:01am

National C'Ship

All in all, what did we think of the officiating (individual & crew) in the biggest game of the year?

I'm a bit biased so I'll chime in later :D

Memo to APG: 1 play I'd LOVE to see again is the play in the 2nd half (sorry no time, but I'm sure you remember) where the Kansas player is OOB on the endline while tapping it back in play. The whistle-work, the communication & the style was so beautiful!! If I could incorporate some of that in my game, maybe I could be :cool:

tomegun Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41am

Are you talking about when Robinson was almost to the sideline and the official, who was on the other side of the lane, blew his whistle and got on his knee while indicating he was out of bounds?

letemplay Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43am

Pretty obvious (and easy) oob play. What do you want replayed? The official's mechanic or are you thinking he missed the call?

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 835548)
Pretty obvious (and easy) oob play. What do you want replayed? The official's mechanic or are you thinking he missed the call?

It was very obvious to the televised crowd, not so much to those located on the table side of the floor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 835547)
Are you talking about when Robinson was almost to the sideline and the official, who was on the other side of the lane, blew his whistle and got on his knee while indicating he was out of bounds?

Yeah, seeing how the OOB was opposite table, that action removed any doubt from the bench.

tomegun Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01am

My only hope is that you aren't someone that thinks some of Valentine's signals are over the top, but like this. I think what the official did was similar, but with less style. The only reason I even remember it was because I didn't think it was really necessary at the time.

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 835555)
My only hope is that you aren't someone that thinks some of Valentine's signals are over the top, but like this. I think what the official did was similar, but with less style. The only reason I even remember it was because I didn't think it was really necessary at the time.

I respect that. I also believe if he didnt do what he did, the bench would've questioned him on the 38' call.

I guess some of us like to explain things after making a decision, others like to tell the tale at the spot to eliminate having to explain things...

Preventative conflict resolution? Effective non-verbal communication?
I'm all for it!

APG Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:28am

I know the play you're speaking off...the official blew his whistle at least 4-6 times for a clear and obvious OOB call.

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35am

You didnt like it either! I thought it was more like 8-10 times. If you get a chance throw it up for me sir. Perhaps it will change my mind...

FTR, I thought it was clear to the 2 players at the end of the bench, not so much to the coaching staff located at the top of the bench.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 835555)

I think there is a time and a place for such signals. I just think Valentine uses such signals too much, in situations that don't need it...like this case.

Toren Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:27pm

I liked the way the official whistled this play. To me watching it live, it wasn't so obvious that he was OOB when he touched the ball. I also wasn't so sure that he didn't reestablish by getting a foot back inbounds before touching the ball. I needed the replay.

I liked that the official told a story of what he saw and then I saw the replay and I agreed with him.

Nicely done.

Tio Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31pm

I thought the crew was fabulous. I especially thought it was great the amount of energy that was spent talking to players and keeping their heads in the game. This was an extremely intense game with a frantic tempo.

Overall, I felt the crew was excellent.

twocentsworth Tue Apr 03, 2012 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 835531)
All in all, what did we think of the officiating (individual & crew) in the biggest game of the year?

I thought that the crew did a poor job in two areas:

1) dribble hand-off screens....WAY too much illegal contract by screener that impacted RSBQ of defenders. This was an emphasis during the year that was ignored last night. (this occurred primarliy when Kentucky was on offense)

2) post defenders (on BOTH ends) were allowed to significantly chest/body bump offensive players in the post after they received a pass....on several occassions, the offensive player was almost knocked over (let alone knocked off balance).

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 835621)
I thought that the crew did a poor job in two areas:

1) dribble hand-off screens....WAY too much illegal contract by screener that impacted RSBQ of defenders. This was an emphasis during the year that was ignored last night. (this occurred primarliy when Kentucky was on offense))

The pick n roll with the UK guards & AD did catch my eye, but I thought they were marginal at best.
Doesnt RSBQ pertain to the ball handler?

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 835621)
2) post defenders (on BOTH ends) were allowed to significantly chest/body bump offensive players in the post after they received a pass....on several occassions, the offensive player was almost knocked over (let alone knocked off balance).

I liked that they allowed the bigs to bang in a National C'Ship game.
Aggresive, physical play is always ok. Rough play is never ok.

ballgame99 Tue Apr 03, 2012 03:36pm

I thought the game was called very consistently and had a good flow to it. There were only a call or two I remember questioning; meaning I thought they should have played on when a foul was called.

Enough about the officiating, man was that Star Spangled Banner brutal or what??!! Woof.

tref Tue Apr 03, 2012 03:42pm

I thought there were 2 or 3 questionable above the rim calls made by the L. Other than that it was pretty consistent & no GIs.

Not that I'm into the Fray or nothing like that, but I thought it was original & a pretty cool remix. It was definitely better than some of the students that get out there & embarass themselves at my games.