Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Florida v. Louisville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
APG (or anybody else with his skills), the sequence that results with UF shooting free-throws at the 6:23 mark of the 2nd half.

Maybe or maybe not a BC violation. Definitely don't agree with the block call by Hess.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I think it was a good no-call regarding a potential backcourt violation; but it looked more to me like a PC regarding any foul on the play.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 03:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

No B/C definitely. Couldn't tell watching the game live and didn't have it on DVR.

I'm still iffy on the block but I give Hess the benefit of doubt. But watching the replay, just noticed it was a split second away from a 10-second count.

(thanks apg)
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 09:17pm
(Something hilarious)

If I were the opposing coach, I'd ask how close it was to a 10-second violation. (As he wasn't counting during the time of this clip.)

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Mon Mar 26, 2012 at 12:08am.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

The block is the "safe" call. I thought either of the two first ones were closer to a block then the one he actually calls.

No B/C. I wasn't sure if the referee was signaling that it was tapped or that he was dribbling, therefore 2 feet and the ball needed to cross. Either way I didn't like the signal he was using to communicate.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

That is a perfect example of the 3-point rule for a dribbler crossing the division line....legal.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
The block is the "safe" call.
I'm going to have to give you the chance to explain exactly what you mean by that because it seems as if you are saying that the right call was a PC, but that the official lacked the courage to make it.

So please tell me what a "safe call" is.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm going to have to give you the chance to explain exactly what you mean by that because it seems as if you are saying that the right call was a PC, but that the official lacked the courage to make it.

i'm curious too!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Ssssaaaaffffeeeee!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
i'm curious too!
That's the call that I make when the batter/runner touches first base bag before the ball is caught by the first baseman.
OOPS!! Wrong forum - me bad!!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 08:39am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is a perfect example of the 3-point rule for a dribbler crossing the division line....legal.
Agreed. A good video for training purposes, too.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Thanks for the chance

I'm sure we've all had a similar play where we pass on the first one, pass on the second one (thinking, that's marginal, but it's getting closer and closer to illegal) than the third one comes and bam we hit the defender with the foul. In this case, I felt the defender was legal on the third one, but I feel he was penalized as a culmination of the previous ones.

But when I look at the play that was penalized, the defender is legal and the offense extends a forearm. So either it's a No Call or it's Player Control, we can't penalize the defense on that play alone.

That's what I meant by "safe call"

I don't know about his particular courage, but I'm pretty sure you don't make it to that level of being a referee without courage.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks for the chance

I'm sure we've all had a similar play where we pass on the first one, pass on the second one (thinking, that's marginal, but it's getting closer and closer to illegal) than the third one comes and bam we hit the defender with the foul. In this case, I felt the defender was legal on the third one, but I feel he was penalized as a culmination of the previous ones.

But when I look at the play that was penalized, the defender is legal and the offense extends a forearm. So either it's a No Call or it's Player Control, we can't penalize the defense on that play alone.

I don't know about his particular courage, but I'm pretty sure you don't make it to that level of being a referee without courage.
Well, the calling official was Karl Hess, so we know he doesn't always play it "safe"
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the chance

Before putting a whistle on it he probably asked himself, "why did he push off?"
Then the contact by the defender that he initially deemed marginal became illegal.
I can see his focus being on the potential b/c play... twice, as opposed to the contact by the defender.

Our eyes only see what our mind tells us we are looking at.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Before putting a whistle on it he probably asked himself, "why did he push off?"
Then the contact by the defender that he initially deemed marginal became illegal.
I can see his focus being on the potential b/c play... twice, as opposed to the contact by the defender.

Our eyes only see what our mind tells us we are looking at.
But he happened to push off on the only play, in my view, where the defender was legal. Is this a good time to penalize?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But he happened to push off on the only play, in my view, where the defender was legal. Is this a good time to penalize?
In a perfect world we want to get RSBQ perimiter plays immediately. But when your mind tells your eyes to watch the division line, twice in one transition (uncommon) I can see him not getting it then asking himself "did the defender do something a fraction of a second earlier to make the offense push off?"