The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Hell no, that's nothing. Never crossed my mind.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Looked like a play on to me. For those who say its a T, I'm sure the play caught the NCAA-W officials off guard. How often do they referee above the rim plays? Would that have been the first T ever for that infraction in a women's game? Nobody wants to be the first to call a T for flopping... I wouldn't want to be the first to call a T in this situation either. What a frickin play!!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 09:50am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Never crossed my mind.
I've seen so much worse than this - not called......never even thought about it.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 10:21am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Clear whack.

My opinion is that since she is the only one capable of that in the womens game and it will certainly be the ESPN highlight, they just ignored the unsporting aspect of it. Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Had I been on the opposing side, she would have received a hard foul the next time that she caught the ball.
Not sure I see your reasoning here. What part of the act is unsporting?
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Looked like a play on to me. For those who say its a T, I'm sure the play caught the NCAA-W officials off guard. How often do they referee above the rim plays? Would that have been the first T ever for that infraction in a women's game? Nobody wants to be the first to call a T for flopping... I wouldn't want to be the first to call a T in this situation either. What a frickin play!!
I wouldn't say it caught them off guard (at least I hope it wouldn't) as if I'm pre-gaming a NCAA-W tourney game with arguably the highest profile and likely best player in the NCAA-W game today that you wouldn't know she was capable of dunking or knowing that she would try. It would probably be right after how we as a crew expect the other team to guard her and watch for the holds/grabs etc...

And back to the original question no I wouldn't call a T on this....
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Glad That I Have Two Hands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
What part of the act is unsporting?
Agree. Absolutely nothing unsporting here.

The real question is did she grasp the ring to prevent an injury to herself, or to another player, all legal, or did she grasp it for some other illegal reason.

If this were a male player in my high school game (we don't have female high school players who can dunk here in my little corner of Connecticut), I would probably not have charged him (or her) with a technical foul. On the other hand, the grasp seems to last a fraction of a second longer than most that I see, so I would never criticize any who would charge a technical foul. On the other hand, there really isn't any attempt at a "chin up", so I'm back to my original "good no call".

How's that for "fence sitting"? Is it too late for me to run for President? Romney, Santorum, Obama, or BillyMac in 2012? A chicken in every pot and a ball in every basket. Tippecanoe and BillyMac too. Read my lips. No new high school rules. Fifty-four forty is better than overtime.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 25, 2012 at 02:08pm.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This would not even be a thought process in a HS game from my point of view. I would totally leave that alone.

Peace
Agree
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
They need her to start GT to make it harder. Typically though, these officials work other than women's games during the off season. So it is not like they have never seen a dunk or GT
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:01pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

She did pull up and slap the backboard. She did not just hang there and wait until her momentum allowed her to drop down.

By rule, I'd say it has to be a T.

Not saying that I really agree with the rule though ... and in this case if the officials had called it that's ALL that we would be reading about right now!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
She did pull up and slap the backboard. She did not just hang there and wait until her momentum allowed her to drop down.

Not saying that I really agree with the rule though ... and in this case if the officials had called it that's ALL that we would be reading about right now!
No she did not slap the backboard, her hand got caught in the net. Looked at it a few times and cannot see slap, just hand getting caught.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

What rule is that? The rule says that a player cannot grab the rim excessively, it does not say anything about what that specifically means. But by practice a player that is going hard to the basket is going to be allowed on some level to hang as if they let go at the wrong time they could be off balance. It does not say hanging on the rim is illegal, just talks about when it is excessive it is a T which is up for some judgment and interpretation of the NCAA and official what that actually means. Now I am sure NCAA Women's has very little ruling on this as they almost never see this, but this is not a play I have seen referenced as a T on the Men's side.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:02pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
No she did not slap the backboard, her hand got caught in the net. Looked at it a few times and cannot see slap, just hand getting caught.
Yes, she did. Her left hand. You can hear it also (because of the mics on the backboard)
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:04pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
What rule is that? The rule says that a player cannot grab the rim excessively, it does not say anything about what that specifically means. But by practice a player that is going hard to the basket is going to be allowed on some level to hang as if they let go at the wrong time they could be off balance. It does not say hanging on the rim is illegal, just talks about when it is excessive it is a T which is up for some judgment and interpretation of the NCAA and official what that actually means. Now I am sure NCAA Women's has very little ruling on this as they almost never see this, but this is not a play I have seen referenced as a T on the Men's side.
If you can slap the backboard you have grabbed the rim excessively.

Pulling yourself up on the rim has always been "excessive" in the men's game whenever I have heard this issue discussed.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you can slap the backboard you have grabbed the rim excessively.

Pulling yourself up on the rim has always been "excessive" in the men's game whenever I have heard this issue discussed.
I am not seeing this slap on the backboard you are convinced that took place. I hear the ring going back in place and I see a hand in the net. Not maybe the hand touched the backboard, but not something that was clearly obvious to everyone or something I had to look at to even kind of see. If that was hanging on the rim, then most dunks in the Kentucky-Baylor game I just witnessed were excessive. I do not recall any Ts being called in that game with the several dunks that took place.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:24pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
What rule is that? The rule says that a player cannot grab the rim excessively...
NFHS 10-3-3,and nowhere does it say "excessively."