The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Griner Dunk (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90224-griner-dunk.html)

DesMoines Sat Mar 24, 2012 08:54pm

Griner Dunk

If this were an NFHS game, does the player's action rise to the level of unsportsmanlike?

Don't get me wrong. It's an exciting play for her and for the fans... but do you let a high schooler get away with a pull up and rim shake in a 31-point blowout?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jqRKL8lkWLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adam Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:00pm

Wondered the same thing when I saw the replay. Seems to me I've seen this called this year in NCAAM games, but imagine the whining that would have ensued.

JRutledge Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:00pm

This would not even be a thought process in a HS game from my point of view. I would totally leave that alone.

Peace

Bad Zebra Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:11pm

Nothing there. She lets go as soon as momentum stops ber body from swinging. I look for a chin up motion or prolonged hanging when nobody else is below.

DesMoines Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:28pm

Ok, I'll bite BZ: What, for you, constitutes a pull up? I guess I think she does.

Even so, I guess my thought is that although it's close, I probably pass.

However, if there's been something else (or a series of something elses) in the game that would lead me to interpret the action (pull up, shake, yell) as a taunt, I'm going to get it.

Bad Zebra Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMoines (Post 834111)
Ok, I'll bite BZ: What, for you, constitutes a pull up? I guess I think she does.

I look for arms bending at the elbows and the head moving up toward the rim. Didn't see either of those from Griner nor does she vocalize anything. This one looks as tame as they get from my perspective.

bainsey Sat Mar 24, 2012 09:41pm

In this neck of the woods, this would likely be a T.

BktBallRef Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:22pm

No. Nothing. That's not a pull up.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:30pm

Clear whack.

My opinion is that since she is the only one capable of that in the womens game and it will certainly be the ESPN highlight, they just ignored the unsporting aspect of it. Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Had I been on the opposing side, she would have received a hard foul the next time that she caught the ball.

JetMetFan Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:50am

I vote no. My standard is bending the elbows and/or bringing the knees up.

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:02am

Nothing.

Rich Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:07am

That is not a technical foul in a high school game or college game, either gender. No way, no how.

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 834120)
Clear whack.

My opinion is that since she is the only one capable of that in the womens game and it will certainly be the ESPN highlight, they just ignored the unsporting aspect of it. Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Had I been on the opposing side, she would have received a hard foul the next time that she caught the ball.

Wow!! Way to just throw that crew under the bus. You really think they ignored it because it was gonna be on ESPN?? Really??

THis is absolutely nothing. She took care of her business, and headed back to play defense when she was done. Nothing unsporting. Not in anyone's face. No yells at the camera on the end line. Nothing. Play on!!

berserkBBK Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:30am

I have nothing.
She dunks, she swings, she gets down, and gets back on D. What does she do wrong? Get excited by a great play?
People who are whacking any player for this would look to me like either not understanding passionate play, a control freak, picking nits, or missing it.

JRutledge Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:52am

When a player is dunking the basketball and basically at full speed, they are going to swing a little bit. That was a run of the mill dunk. A chin up to me would be an extended hang. And honestly I doubt these officials see many dunks anyway, so I doubt they would call something unless it was a "no doubt" action. I give them credit for not being ultra technical and moving on. This did cross my mind as to if it was bad, but when I saw the replay this was about as normal of a dunk as any I have ever seen or typically see.

Peace