The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Griner Dunk (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90224-griner-dunk.html)

Camron Rust Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834314)
It's clear as day to me ... of course, others sometimes have to wait for another angle of the video to be shown that I am right —*like in the goaltending thread from a few weeks back :D

I was one of those "others". However, my stance on the other was that the original video was too grainy to tell. On this one, that is not the case. Her hand came no where near hitting the backboard. If you're going to call a T on this one (and I don't think I would) it will not be for slapping the backboard.

Brad Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:30am

Ok —*I take it back ... hadn't watched the rest of the video and was only looking at the first play. I think it's her elbow that hits and makes the sound ... but it's not her hand.

canuckrefguy Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834354)
Ok —*I take it back ... hadn't watched the rest of the video and was only looking at the first play. I think it's her elbow that hits and makes the sound ... but it's not her hand.

No way her elbow contacted the backboard.

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:17pm

Inside info.......

A friend of mine worked the NCAA W tourney and this is what he said...............no way would a guy make that call if he wanted to move on. If a female makes the call it would be ok....but no way in hell is he hittin his whistle

Brad Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 834424)
No way her elbow contacted the backboard.

Pretty sure it was her knee then.

Brad Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 834513)
A friend of mine worked the NCAA W tourney and this is what he said...............no way would a guy make that call if he wanted to move on. If a female makes the call it would be ok....but no way in hell is he hittin his whistle

Interesting point.

I think that in this case the call would take away from the game. Women's basketball fans are excited that they have a player that can legitimately dunk. Let's everyone enjoy it before we start ringing them up!

Adam Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834520)
Interesting point.

I think that in this case the call would take away from the game. Women's basketball fans are excited that they have a player that can legitimately dunk. Let's everyone enjoy it before we start ringing them up!

She'd probably have to about do a handstand on the rim in order to be rung up.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834521)
She'd probably have to about do a handstand on the rim in order to be rung up.

Ha!

Bad Zebra Tue Mar 27, 2012 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 834513)

How would that be OK??? The whole gist of the thread is...THERE IS NOTHING THERE! Is it OK just because it's a female ringing up a female? If that's the case, that is pretty screwed up.

You're "friend" is also intimating that there is a different set of standards for females doing NCAA W. Does he really want to go down that road?

Adam Tue Mar 27, 2012 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 834539)
How would that be OK??? The whole gist of the thread is...THERE IS NOTHING THERE! Is it OK just because it's a female ringing up a female? If that's the case, that is pretty screwed up.

You're "friend" is also intimating that there is a different set of standards for females doing NCAA W. Does he really want to go down that road?

Whether he wants to go there isn't really relevant to deciding whether he's right or not.

Raymond Tue Mar 27, 2012 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 834539)

I don't know if there is a different set of standards, but it wouldn't surprise me. In many segments of society and the work force there are often unwritten differences that apply to one group of people that don't apply to another.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is.

Bad Zebra Tue Mar 27, 2012 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 834543)
I don't know if there is a different set of standards, but it wouldn't surprise me. In many segments of society and the work force there are often unwritten differences that apply to one group of people that don't apply to another.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is.

I agree. I've seen it first hand. Just surprised an NCAA official would make a statement like that out loud.

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2012 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 834546)
I agree. I've seen it first hand. Just surprised an NCAA official would make a statement like that out loud.

Is there the same type of thing regarding a male official calling a technical foul on a high profile female coach?

Brad Tue Mar 27, 2012 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 834547)
Is there the same type of thing regarding a male official calling a technical foul on a high profile female coach?

I can't imagine that this is leading to any kind of productive conversation.

I have never heard any coordinator or anyone else in women's basketball discuss the gender of officials. I don't think they care as long as you get the job done.

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2012 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834551)
I can't imagine that this is leading to any kind of productive conversation.

I have never heard any coordinator or anyone else in women's basketball discuss the gender of officials. I don't think they care as long as you get the job done.

And yet there's a supposed comment by someone who worked the NCAAW tournament. I wouldn't *expect* such a comment to be made on the record by anyone in a position of power. Doesn't mean that this line of thinking isn't out there. Mainly, I was curious.