The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Griner Dunk (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90224-griner-dunk.html)

APG Sun Mar 25, 2012 02:39am

Hell no, that's nothing. Never crossed my mind.

tref Sun Mar 25, 2012 09:45am

Looked like a play on to me. For those who say its a T, I'm sure the play caught the NCAA-W officials off guard. How often do they referee above the rim plays? Would that have been the first T ever for that infraction in a women's game? Nobody wants to be the first to call a T for flopping... I wouldn't want to be the first to call a T in this situation either. What a frickin play!!

grunewar Sun Mar 25, 2012 09:50am

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 834136)
Never crossed my mind.

I've seen so much worse than this - not called......never even thought about it.

Bad Zebra Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 834120)
Clear whack.

My opinion is that since she is the only one capable of that in the womens game and it will certainly be the ESPN highlight, they just ignored the unsporting aspect of it. Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Had I been on the opposing side, she would have received a hard foul the next time that she caught the ball.

Not sure I see your reasoning here. What part of the act is unsporting?

OrStBballRef Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834154)
Looked like a play on to me. For those who say its a T, I'm sure the play caught the NCAA-W officials off guard. How often do they referee above the rim plays? Would that have been the first T ever for that infraction in a women's game? Nobody wants to be the first to call a T for flopping... I wouldn't want to be the first to call a T in this situation either. What a frickin play!!

I wouldn't say it caught them off guard (at least I hope it wouldn't) as if I'm pre-gaming a NCAA-W tourney game with arguably the highest profile and likely best player in the NCAA-W game today that you wouldn't know she was capable of dunking or knowing that she would try. It would probably be right after how we as a crew expect the other team to guard her and watch for the holds/grabs etc...

And back to the original question no I wouldn't call a T on this....

BillyMac Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:53pm

I'm Glad That I Have Two Hands ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 834161)
What part of the act is unsporting?

Agree. Absolutely nothing unsporting here.

The real question is did she grasp the ring to prevent an injury to herself, or to another player, all legal, or did she grasp it for some other illegal reason.

If this were a male player in my high school game (we don't have female high school players who can dunk here in my little corner of Connecticut), I would probably not have charged him (or her) with a technical foul. On the other hand, the grasp seems to last a fraction of a second longer than most that I see, so I would never criticize any who would charge a technical foul. On the other hand, there really isn't any attempt at a "chin up", so I'm back to my original "good no call".

How's that for "fence sitting"? Is it too late for me to run for President? Romney, Santorum, Obama, or BillyMac in 2012? A chicken in every pot and a ball in every basket. Tippecanoe and BillyMac too. Read my lips. No new high school rules. Fifty-four forty is better than overtime.

icallfouls Sun Mar 25, 2012 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 834109)
This would not even be a thought process in a HS game from my point of view. I would totally leave that alone.

Peace

Agree

icallfouls Sun Mar 25, 2012 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834154)

They need her to start GT to make it harder. Typically though, these officials work other than women's games during the off season. So it is not like they have never seen a dunk or GT

Brad Sun Mar 25, 2012 02:01pm

She did pull up and slap the backboard. She did not just hang there and wait until her momentum allowed her to drop down.

By rule, I'd say it has to be a T.

Not saying that I really agree with the rule though ... and in this case if the officials had called it that's ALL that we would be reading about right now!

icallfouls Sun Mar 25, 2012 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834187)
She did pull up and slap the backboard. She did not just hang there and wait until her momentum allowed her to drop down.

Not saying that I really agree with the rule though ... and in this case if the officials had called it that's ALL that we would be reading about right now!

No she did not slap the backboard, her hand got caught in the net. Looked at it a few times and cannot see slap, just hand getting caught.

JRutledge Sun Mar 25, 2012 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834187)

What rule is that? The rule says that a player cannot grab the rim excessively, it does not say anything about what that specifically means. But by practice a player that is going hard to the basket is going to be allowed on some level to hang as if they let go at the wrong time they could be off balance. It does not say hanging on the rim is illegal, just talks about when it is excessive it is a T which is up for some judgment and interpretation of the NCAA and official what that actually means. Now I am sure NCAA Women's has very little ruling on this as they almost never see this, but this is not a play I have seen referenced as a T on the Men's side.

Peace

Brad Sun Mar 25, 2012 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 834188)
No she did not slap the backboard, her hand got caught in the net. Looked at it a few times and cannot see slap, just hand getting caught.

Yes, she did. Her left hand. You can hear it also (because of the mics on the backboard)

Brad Sun Mar 25, 2012 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 834194)
What rule is that? The rule says that a player cannot grab the rim excessively, it does not say anything about what that specifically means. But by practice a player that is going hard to the basket is going to be allowed on some level to hang as if they let go at the wrong time they could be off balance. It does not say hanging on the rim is illegal, just talks about when it is excessive it is a T which is up for some judgment and interpretation of the NCAA and official what that actually means. Now I am sure NCAA Women's has very little ruling on this as they almost never see this, but this is not a play I have seen referenced as a T on the Men's side.

If you can slap the backboard you have grabbed the rim excessively.

Pulling yourself up on the rim has always been "excessive" in the men's game whenever I have heard this issue discussed.

JRutledge Sun Mar 25, 2012 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834210)
If you can slap the backboard you have grabbed the rim excessively.

Pulling yourself up on the rim has always been "excessive" in the men's game whenever I have heard this issue discussed.

I am not seeing this slap on the backboard you are convinced that took place. I hear the ring going back in place and I see a hand in the net. Not maybe the hand touched the backboard, but not something that was clearly obvious to everyone or something I had to look at to even kind of see. If that was hanging on the rim, then most dunks in the Kentucky-Baylor game I just witnessed were excessive. I do not recall any Ts being called in that game with the several dunks that took place.

Peace

bainsey Sun Mar 25, 2012 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 834194)
What rule is that? The rule says that a player cannot grab the rim excessively...

NFHS 10-3-3,and nowhere does it say "excessively."