The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Griner Dunk (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90224-griner-dunk.html)

rockyroad Tue Mar 27, 2012 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834551)

I have never heard any coordinator...discuss the gender of officials.

I have.

Multiple times.

To my face, and to large groups of officials at camps.

Brad Tue Mar 27, 2012 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 834559)
I have.

Multiple times.

To my face, and to large groups of officials at camps.

Yeah? And what was said?

rockyroad Tue Mar 27, 2012 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 834560)
Yeah? And what was said?

To my face: "I don't need any more white males on my staff."

To a group: "I will always hire the female candidate if her officiating is even close to the male's."

Several other things along the same line...

That person is no longer a coordinator, but that has nothing to do with those kids of comments that were made on a fairly regular basis.

canuckrefguy Tue Mar 27, 2012 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 834424)
no way her elbow contacted the backboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad (Post 834519)
pretty sure it was her knee then.

lol

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2012 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 834562)

To a group: "I will always hire the female candidate if her officiating is even close to the male's."

That person is no longer a coordinator, but that has nothing to do with those kids of comments that were made on a fairly regular basis.

Yup. Amazing how officials with 3-4 years experience are climbing the college ladder and working HS state finals. I've heard camp clinicians (back when I actually went to NCAAW camps) say the same thing. The woman will always get hired ahead of the white male if they're even close.

That Guy Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 834582)
Yup. Amazing how officials with 3-4 years experience are climbing the college ladder and working HS state finals. I've heard camp clinicians (back when I actually went to NCAAW camps) say the same thing. The woman will always get hired ahead of the white male if they're even close.

One doesn't need to hear the comments to know what's happening, but it is nice to know someone is at least honest about it.

Judtech Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 834562)

I'm not saying we were at the same camp.........:D

rockyroad Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 834589)
I'm not saying we were at the same camp.........:D

If you were at an NCAAW camp in this corner of the country, then we probably were!:p

amusedofficial Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:20pm

I wouldn't know

I've never dunked the basketball.

I have absolutely no idea what you need to do to steady yourself before dropping to the floor so that you don't get hurt on landing. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, especially when, as it the case here, she turned and went back on defense without so much as dirty look. She was well within the bounds of sporting conduct.

Given the propensity of women to ACL injuries, I hope nobody is in a hurry to whack a woman for steadying herself before dropping to the floor after a dunk. Sometimes the bending of the elbows, even in a pull-up fashion, seems to be an attempt to steady the body and distribute the weigh in order to hit the ground properly and not at some freakish angle that risks injury to ankle, knee or hip.

Rich Wed Mar 28, 2012 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 834605)
I've never dunked the basketball.

I have absolutely no idea what you need to do to steady yourself before dropping to the floor so that you don't get hurt on landing. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, especially when, as it the case here, she turned and went back on defense without so much as dirty look. She was well within the bounds of sporting conduct.

Given the propensity of women to ACL injuries, I hope nobody is in a hurry to whack a woman for steadying herself before dropping to the floor after a dunk. Sometimes the bending of the elbows, even in a pull-up fashion, seems to be an attempt to steady the body and distribute the weigh in order to hit the ground properly and not at some freakish angle that risks injury to ankle, knee or hip.

Layups count the same 2 points as dunks.

amusedofficial Thu Mar 29, 2012 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 834622)
Layups count the same 2 points as dunks.

And is just as legal.

Rich Thu Mar 29, 2012 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 834793)
And is just as legal.

My point is that we shouldn't give any more leeway on a dunk *just because* women are at a greater risk of ACL injuries. Rather, maybe that's a reason to not try something that carries a greater risk of injury.