The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:13pm
TODO: creative title here

T during a time-out

15U girls rec game. End-of-season league tournament semifinal. I was the only official because my partner didn't show up (that's a rant for another day). FED rules, with a few modifications (one that becomes VERY important to the story)

Team A, leading by one point with about 15 seconds left, has an endline spot throw-in under B's basket (on the bench-side lane line) after an OOB violation and a Team A timeout.

I hand the ball to A15 to start the throw-in. She immediately takes off running OOB towards the other lane line. I call the violation for leaving the designated spot (first time I've ever had to call that particular violation, incidentally). Conversation between myself and A15 goes like this:
A15: "You told me I could run the line!!!!!"
Me: "I told you that after a made basket early in the second half. This was not after a made basket"
A15: "But you told me.... blah blah blah" (I stopped listening at that point because Team B called a timeout, and I had other things to do).

I go to the table to report the timeout, A15 is still fuming, her coach starts talking to her, and then I hear her scream "F--- THAT!" loud enough to echo through the already-loud gym.

Whack.

Team A coach tries the "she wasn't talking to you, she was talking to me" line.... as if that matters.

Now, in this league, a technical foul results in an automatic 2 points + throw in for the other team. (no foul shots, just award the points and move on).

Now Team B is up by one, with a division line throw-in with 15 seconds left.

No other points are scored in the remaining 15 seconds, and Team B wins the game by 1 point.

Good times.

Anyway, my question: Is the time-out period considered an "intermission" for purposes of penalizing unsporting behavior (4-34-2)? If not, the T is charged to A15 only. If so, the T would've also been an indirect to the head coach.

The rulebook has several instances where rules mention activities during "a time-out or intermission", which, to me, implies that a time-out is not considered an intermission. But that feels wrong to me for some reason.

In this case it didn't matter... there's no coaching box, and no other technical fouls were directly or indirectly charged to the head coach over the course of the game... just wondering for future reference.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

4.34.1 has your answer
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

A timeout is not an intermission, players are still players during a timeout.

By rule, after timeouts shouldnt we indicate to the offense & defense whether its a running or designated throw-in?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

If you had made the effort to tell her earlier in the game that she could run after a made basket, why in the world would you not tell her she had to stay on the spot with 15 seconds left in a 1 point game?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If you had made the effort to tell her earlier in the game that she could run after a made basket, why in the world would you not tell her she had to stay on the spot with 15 seconds left in a 1 point game?
Out of all the stuff in his post, this is what you zero in on??? Nice...
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Out of all the stuff in his post, this is what you zero in on??? Nice...
It would have avoided the whole thing.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not An Option ...

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, every single time we inbound the ball on the backcourt endline, we must tell the inbounder if they have a designated spot, or if they can run the endline, along with using the appropriate signals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:33pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, every single time we inbound the ball on the backcourt endline, we must tell the inbounder if they have a designated spot, or if they can run the endline, along with using the appropriate signals.
+1 A good habit I have also adopted here in my neck of the backwoods.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
On EVERY throw-in (following a violation, foul, timeout) whether its on the sideline or endline the administering official should designate the spot both visually & verbally.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It would have avoided the whole thing.
I don't think anybody is saying that it is a bad idea, but it is still a courtesy, like counting 6 players and notifying before putting the ball in play. It is still ultimately the responsibility of the player to know. And having said that, any sympathy I might have had goes out the window when the kid screams the F word.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't think anybody is saying that it is a bad idea, but it is still a courtesy, like counting 6 players and notifying before putting the ball in play. It is still ultimately the responsibility of the player to know. And having said that, any sympathy I might have had goes out the window when the kid screams the F word.
jar, I dont think this is an option, by rule, the administering official shall designate the throw-in spot.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
jar, I dont think this is an option, by rule, the administering official shall designate the throw-in spot.

What rule?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What rule?
Perhaps its just an IAABO thing

Pg 124 of our manual under Throw-in (section C)
3. Official making the ruling SHALL indicate the throw-in spot.
4. Administering official SHALL designate throw-in spot.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

4-42-6

It is not just an IAABO thing.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
On EVERY throw-in (following a violation, foul, timeout) whether its on the sideline or endline the administering official should designate the spot both visually & verbally.
I'll do it on every throw-in just to keep in the habit.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.