View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:13pm
TODO: creative title here

T during a time-out

15U girls rec game. End-of-season league tournament semifinal. I was the only official because my partner didn't show up (that's a rant for another day). FED rules, with a few modifications (one that becomes VERY important to the story)

Team A, leading by one point with about 15 seconds left, has an endline spot throw-in under B's basket (on the bench-side lane line) after an OOB violation and a Team A timeout.

I hand the ball to A15 to start the throw-in. She immediately takes off running OOB towards the other lane line. I call the violation for leaving the designated spot (first time I've ever had to call that particular violation, incidentally). Conversation between myself and A15 goes like this:
A15: "You told me I could run the line!!!!!"
Me: "I told you that after a made basket early in the second half. This was not after a made basket"
A15: "But you told me.... blah blah blah" (I stopped listening at that point because Team B called a timeout, and I had other things to do).

I go to the table to report the timeout, A15 is still fuming, her coach starts talking to her, and then I hear her scream "F--- THAT!" loud enough to echo through the already-loud gym.

Whack.

Team A coach tries the "she wasn't talking to you, she was talking to me" line.... as if that matters.

Now, in this league, a technical foul results in an automatic 2 points + throw in for the other team. (no foul shots, just award the points and move on).

Now Team B is up by one, with a division line throw-in with 15 seconds left.

No other points are scored in the remaining 15 seconds, and Team B wins the game by 1 point.

Good times.

Anyway, my question: Is the time-out period considered an "intermission" for purposes of penalizing unsporting behavior (4-34-2)? If not, the T is charged to A15 only. If so, the T would've also been an indirect to the head coach.

The rulebook has several instances where rules mention activities during "a time-out or intermission", which, to me, implies that a time-out is not considered an intermission. But that feels wrong to me for some reason.

In this case it didn't matter... there's no coaching box, and no other technical fouls were directly or indirectly charged to the head coach over the course of the game... just wondering for future reference.