Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It would have avoided the whole thing.
Sure it would have.

So would having a 15 year old player who knows what she is doing.

So would having a Coach who tells his/her players what to do.

Probably having a partner who shows up would have helped too because then jtheump wouldn't have to worry about taking care of everything himself.

But what the heck...let's not worry about any of that. Let's just jump on jtheump because...well, just because we can.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Many people come to these forums for all kinds of reasons. I don't see the comment as "jumping on" the poster. It provides information, guidance, rules knowledge, etc. to everyone else who reads this forum. I thought this was a good point...and I found it interesting how other officials handle this.

Some feel this is a courtesy, while some say it is both a rule and a mechanic. These are important things for all officials to know. And it contributes to the value of the forum for everyone.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Sure it would have.

So would having a 15 year old player who knows what she is doing.

So would having a Coach who tells his/her players what to do.

Probably having a partner who shows up would have helped too because then jtheump wouldn't have to worry about taking care of everything himself.

But what the heck...let's not worry about any of that. Let's just jump on jtheump because...well, just because we can.
I don't think he was out of line in suggesting he should have informed whether it was a "spot" or she had the ability to move along the end line. The answer was already given to the OP's question...whether the timeout was considered an intermission. And it was sound advice given, IMO, to inform whether the throw-in is a "spot" throw-in or not.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you had made the effort to tell her earlier in the game that she could run after a made basket, why in the world would you not tell her she had to stay on the spot with 15 seconds left in a 1 point game?
Quote:
Out of all the stuff in his post, this is what you zero in on??? Nice...
Quote:
It would have avoided the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'll do it on every throw-in just to keep in the habit.
Quote:
I don't think he was out of line in suggesting he should have informed whether it was a "spot" or she had the ability to move along the end line. The answer was already given to the OP's question...whether the timeout was considered an intermission. And it was sound advice given, IMO, to inform whether the throw-in is a "spot" throw-in or not.
I do this every game, every throw in both visually and verbally so that not only the player has been told, but the player also knows and if they look at the video they can see what I have told them. It takes away the confusion and backs up what they were told. I think this suggestion is spot on and solid advice. We have to stop being so sensitive when things are suggested.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:23pm
TODO: creative title here

Thanks for the responses and the casebook reference... turns out I was looking at the wrong sections of the casebook (Rule 10 instead of Rule 4).

RE: Telling the player that she needed to stay on the spot... believe me, that thought occurred to me immediately after the smoke cleared. And I'm going to start doing that from now on.

Other context:
Before the game, the Team A head coach offered to grab a whistle and act as the second official. "Coach, I appreciate the offer, but I can't let you do that for several reasons."

I found out after the game that the Team A head coach is A15's father.

Should've been an interesting ride home, to say the least. I can only hope it was a productive "there are consequences to unsporting behavior" type conversation rather than an "officials suck" conversation.

This was the 5th of 6 games I worked solo that day. The 6th game was worse in some respects... 1 unsporting player T, 1 unsporting coach T, and a "Worst Official in the World" award handed out after the game by a fan standing at the exit of the gym.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:29pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Go back and read his post...he didn't say "This unfortunate situation could perhaps have been avoided if you had..." He said "Why in the world would you not..."

Big difference, don't you think?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go back and read his post...he didn't say "This unfortunate situation could perhaps have been avoided if you had..." He said "Why in the world would you not..."

It perhaps could have been worded a little nicer, but I don't think there was any ill intent or malice meant by the post.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
It perhaps could have been worded a little nicer, but I don't think there was any ill intent or malice meant by the post.
Hmmm...ok. Maybe I misread intent. Sure seemed to me like it was dumping on someone who was asking for constructive feedback.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I think you are overracting a little. It is hard in this format to type tone or attitude accurately. I would have asked the same question in a camp and you would have thought I asked in the nicest way. I think we sometimes want to find conflict when there is none.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

man I hope they gave you your partner's paycheck too. 6 games solo doesn't sound fun at all.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:08pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
I'll do it on every throw-in just to keep in the habit.
Endline, absolutely. Sideline? I'll point, of course, but I don't see the point of yelling "designated" there. I've never seen anyone run a sideline.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
man I hope they gave you your partner's paycheck too. 6 games solo doesn't sound fun at all.
I can assure you I wouldn't think twice about any tea that got served while I was working solo.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Endline, absolutely. Sideline? I'll point, of course, but I don't see the point of yelling "designated" there. I've never seen anyone run a sideline.
I never use the word designated. Maybe I should, but all I say is "this is your spot."
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hey folks ... this is the internet. You can't read tone from someone else's post. I don't care how smart your think you are or how good an official you are... you just can't. How smart is it to read a post, make a conscious decision to take that post in the most negative way possible, and then rip the poster for being negative... it was YOU that brought in the negativity. If there are multiple ways to read someone's "tone" - choose the nicest one.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Never say never

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Had a girl under pressure (ball, ball, ball!!!) take off down the sideline on me a few seasons ago

After the game I looked up the administration process & when it used the word "shall" instead of "may" I realized that I made the mistake & have been designating every spot from that day forward.
BTW, you dont have to yell it.