The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 07:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Worst?

Was talking with a ref buddy on the phone about some rec assignments and he told me he had a game two weeks ago in which a player got upset with a teammate and threw the ball at his face, knocking him over and causing a nosebleed. He said that was probably the worst incident he's ever had in a game and asked me what mine was.

I guess it was something that happened about four years ago in our local kids rec league. 6B game and a coach (who, like all the rest, is a volunteer) got so upset with one of his players for not listening to him in a huddle, slapped the kid across the face! His "defense" was that it was his kid. The Board didn't care whether it was his kid or not and the guy was suspended from coaching with us for life.

I also witnessed a parking lot fight after a game by two opposing parents in which one of them actually hit the other over the head with a baseball bat he got out of his car. And yes, the police were called and he was prosecuted.

You guys want to share?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 07:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Us Canadians are too polite to fight*.

* hockey games excluded
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Fiveum Member

I had a game last year in which two dads got into it in the stands and one of them knocked the other one down about 15 stairs. The guy who got knocked down lost consciousness but came out of it within a few seconds so he was able to walk out with a little help. The other guy just left, so I don't know what happened after that. BTW - it was halftime.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

(Knock wood) My worst was three or four years ago in a BVHS game. Big kid - as in 6' 6" or so - gets upset with my parter after he's called for his third or fourth travel and decides to take a swing at my partner. He didn't connect and the kid's teammates managed to get hold of him before anything else happened.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 09:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Now that I think about it, I did have this situation:

I had a parent enter the court and yell at a player of the opposite team. Said player retaliated to the parent's son initiating a double unsportsmanlike foul. Parent was promptly ejected.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 10:14am
Administrator

I have not had teammates fight during a game but years ago in a PAL National Champ. Boys' 18U pool play game I had A1 tell A2 that he was "a f**king a$$hole" when he missed a layup. Everybody in the gym heard him and his coach couldn't understand why I charged him with a FTF.

MTD, Jr., had a girls' JrHS DH in January where two fathers from the Visitors started to fight each other in the stands immediately after the end of the 8th grade game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 10:31am
Official & Member

I probably provoked this one a little...

Had a 10U AAU coach that called time out to SCREAM at one of his players about one inch away from his ear. I made a comment to the table that I would never want him coaching one of my kids. My comment got back to him and he wanted a piece of me in the parking lot. Law enforcement called, but he went away quietly in the end.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 10:45am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Had a 10U AAU coach that called time out to SCREAM at one of his players about one inch away from his ear. I made a comment to the table that I would never want him coaching one of my kids. My comment got back to him and he wanted a piece of me in the parking lot. Law enforcement called, but he went away quietly in the end.

BZ:

Your story reminds me of two games: One involving a freind of mine and one invovling Daryl H. "The Preacher" Long and me.

Game #1: Years ago Daryl and I and a friend of ours from Tennessee (he was then and still is a Div. 1 women's official) were officiating in the Starters Girls Summer Classic in Hartford, CT. Our Tenn. friend had a game where in the first half both he and his partner whacked the HC of one of the teams, and he refused to leave the game. The HC actually took a folding chair from the bench area and sat down on it at center court. The HC's wife came out of the stands and tried to get him to leave and he slapped her, , yes you read the correctly. Only then did two dads grabbed him and hustled him off the court.

Game #2: Years ago, Daryl and I had a girls' 13U pool play game on the first day of the YBOA Girls National Champ. Tourn. I was the U and all through the 1st quarter the HC of the one team just an absolute a$$hole with his players. He never swore at them but was very abusive to the verbally. Since YBOA provided an Official Scorer, a mother of one of the player's was sitting on the team bench keeping a scorebook for the team. Between the 1st and 2nd quarter I stood next to the mother keeping score and whispered to her that in my home state her HC would be charged with felony child abuse the way he was treating his players. She gave me the deer caught in the headlights look, . I stepped away and as we put the ball into play I could see her say something to the HC. From my perspective it looked like his lower lip hit the floor but he never said a abusive word to his players the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

We Definitely Need Better Border Guards ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Officiating in the Starters Girls Summer Classic in Hartford, CT.
I still can't believe that they let you cross the border into my fine state. The border guards are supposed to keep out the riff raff.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Mine is from football... kid didn't like the stiffarm he got on one play. 2 plays later the RB came his way - he grabbed the facemask, twisted, then did about a 540 degree turn (like an Olympic hammer-throw) and flung the kid about 5 yards away. Had to call Life-Flite for the RB, and I learned later that after the CB was ejected, he was arrested in the locker room at halftime for assault. Never heard what happened with either kid afterward.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not telling!

Man, after reading some of these posts, I feel like the sheriff from Jaws. Just before the shark attacks they are comparing war stories and injuries. The sheriff lifts up his shirt and decides it doesn't compare and is not worth mentioning.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Years ago when I was 1st starting out I was assigned a youth league U15 semi-final with my father. I was around 17 years old at the time.

The game itself was hotly contested and came right down to the final buzzer but had no incidents until after we had gathered out bags a were leaving.

A Dad from the the losing team was heated and wanted a peice of us as we were leaving the gym. A father from the winning team intervied on our behalf saying "We did a fine job" and suggested to Dad #1 that he "leave us alone and let us on our way". Dad #1 did not like this very much and proceeded to shove Dad #2 with 2 hands right in the chest.

Never have I seen a body hit the floor so fast. As it turns out Dad #2 was a member of the city police's emergency response team (read SWAT) in plain clothes. Dad #1 was promptly cuffed and had a free ride to the local police station where, I'm told, he spent the rest of the day with charges pending.

Resulting from these events Dad #1 was banned from attending any of this league's games for 1 calendar year and was forced to write a little of apology to his kid's team, their opponents, the officials and Dad #2. I heard this was the only course of action that would of prevented the pending assult charge being dropped.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

City League

Of course, it would be men's city league.

My partner calls a foul on Hot Head. He *****es and moans, and my partner whacks him. Somebody on the bench says something profane, and he gets a T as well. League rules -- three T's, game is over. I talk to the coach, he apologies for Hot Head, says he will get him under control.

Second half starts, everything going well, and the team that was causing the problems has roared back and even taken the lead. That is when hothead commits another foul -- obvious call, we both had it. My partner turns his back to report it to the bench, and Hothead picks up the ball and baseball throws it into the back of partner's head. Game Over! Partner won't let me call the cops, says the league board will take care of it.

Amazingly, Hot Head petitioned the league to let him back on the team, saying he was sorry. When the league's board agreed, Partner and I both resigned. Last I heard, the league was reduced to a Call Your Own Fouls situation.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
Last I heard, the league was reduced to a Call Your Own Fouls situation.
So now there's no fouls called in any of the games?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Guess they pulled a Hessy fit? Wonder if their replacement officials put their initials on their shoes