The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 04:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Best and worst?

Just thought, that since we're in the "off season", we might find some interest in sharing the "best" and the "worst" things we've observed in games.

Both of mine happened in our local kids rec league. The best was when a team kept "feeding" a kid (5th grade) the ball to try to get him to score. It was their last game of the season and the kid had not scored all year. The kid had some medical problems (mentally challenged) but was really enjoying the season even though he hadn't scored. The other team knew what was going on since some of their players were classmates of his, so they let him shoot layups. About midway through the second quarter, he scored. Both teams went wild, slapping his hand, etc. All the parents in the gym got up and applauded. My partner and I stopped the game to shake his hand. He was so happy, he actually started crying. He scored two more baskets in the game and afterwards, he said he'd never forget that day.

The worst was when a coach called a kid to come out of the game and when the kid got to the bench (I think this was 6th grade but I'm not positive), the coach yelled at him and then slapped him across the face! I wasn't working the game but was in the stands as a Board member. Obviously, I ran down to the court and one of the officials had already told the guy to leave. The guy's "excuse" was that it was his son and he "had a right to do that". I told him the kid was a player in our program and no one could do that to a player - period. I then told him if he didn't leave I would call the police and have him arrested for trespassing (which is a law in this state). The kid's mom was in the gym, so I knew we weren't leaving the kid alone. The Board met a few days later and banned the guy from coaching for life.

OK - your turn.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 05:12pm
Huck Finn

In April I officiated a team and when the coach got upset with what his team was doing he would tell them to throw the ball out of bounds. He probably did it five times during the game I had them and I saw him do it on a different court in another game. His team had the ball, going up the court, and he told them to purposely turn the ball over and get back on defense. I don't really know what that teaches them, but I wouldn't want my kid on that team.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The Board met a few days later and banned the guy from coaching for life.

OK - your turn.
So when you said the board met and banned him for life from coaching basketball. What board are you referring too? Basketball league board or basketball officials board?
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 06:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
So when you said the board met and banned him for life from coaching basketball. What board are you referring too? Basketball league board or basketball officials board?
I am referring to the Board of Directors for the league, of which I am a long time member.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Roger that
Old Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:08am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
Roger that
No it's Mark!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2011, 02:05pm
Official & Member

Worse: Boys 9U AAU national tournament game. Coach subs out a player, gets 6 inches from the kid's ear and starts SCREAMING at him. I'm at the table checking something as this is happening. I mention to the scorer "I'm glad my son doesn't play for that guy". Scorer, at some point repeats my comment to said coach who, in turn, seeks me out in the parking lot to convey his displeasure about my comment. Site admin confronts him and asks him to leave. Refuses...cops...yadda yadda...cited for trespassing, banned from remainder of tournament. Gotta love AAU.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I mention to the scorer "I'm glad my son doesn't play for that guy". Scorer, at some point repeats my comment to said coach who, in turn, seeks me out in the parking lot to convey his displeasure about my comment.
That's exactly why I wouldn't say something like that during a game. You never know who will hear it or who they will repeat it to.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 05:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
That's exactly why I wouldn't say something like that during a game. You never know who will hear it or who they will repeat it to.
Maybe, but I'd say the coach needed to hear it.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 10:52pm
Back from the DL

I'm sure I've brought this up here before, but it's worth telling again...

Best thing: My second year, I'm assign to a middle school boys' game. This one is truly a lopsided affair, as it's 52-0 H, after three quarters. It was one of those games where V clearly did not know what they were doing out there.

The saving grace for V came when H broke the plane a second time, techincal foul. It was, and perhaps will always be, the only time I reported a T to the coach, and the actually thanked me for such a call. ("Anything you can do to help these guys!...") First free throw hit, place erupts from both contingents.

Worst thing: Same game, and it happened during pre-game. Three days prior, a student from H was fatally shot by his mother's boyfriend. (Not guilty by reason of insanity. Don't get me started.) Needless to say, the school had been reeling from this unspeakable act, and I was aware that the victim was a student at this school. Before the game, I ask the A.D. how everyone is faring.

"It's day three," he says, "so we're starting to get back to normal. But the toughest part about this -- other than dealing with Anthony's death -- is explaining to 12 and 13 year-olds that there are some things in life that are, indeed, final."

That will always stick with me.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe, but I'd say the coach needed to hear it.
He did, no argument there. Just not sure that I would say it to someone I don't know. Probably be something I save to say after the game with my partners.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 07:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

How Would You Like To Spend Your Thursday Nights Working These Games ???

Actually a series of similar bad games. When I first started officiating, I was assigned games for a boys high school age recreation league in a nearby town. These were kids who either were cut from the high school team, or chose not to play high school ball because of the academic, or behavior, demands of the coach. There were no adult coaches in this recreation league, the players "coached" themselves. Seldom were there parents in the stands. There was never anyone in "authority" at the site. The scorekeeper/timekeeper was a high school kid. There were only five teams in the league. To insure that each team played every week, one team was scheduled to play both the first, and the third game of the night. So what did these "two game" high school boys do between games? You guessed it, they retreated to the parking lot, and had a couple of drinks, and I'm not talking about Gatorade. The third game always turned into a technical foul filled contest, and games seldom reached a conclusion without a forfeit.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 09:49am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
He did, no argument there. Just not sure that I would say it to someone I don't know. Probably be something I save to say after the game with my partners.
In the years since the incident, I've thought about it alot. I have to admit I wished I'd said it directly to the coach. It definitely needed to be said. I handled it wrong but that's still no excuse for the way he handled it.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In the years since the incident, I've thought about it alot. I have to admit I wished I'd said it directly to the coach. It definitely needed to be said. I handled it wrong but that's still no excuse for the way he handled it.
There is no excuse for what he did at all. I didn't mean to imply differently.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

The worst were two calls I had back. One was a foul where the kid was trying to block a shot from the 3 point line- he clearly was going for the player. I didn't call an intentional; to be totally honest, at the time it didn't occur to me. (3rd year, relative newby...) But, in retrospect it was a clear intentional foul. The other one was the stupidest call I have ever made- team control, girl in the paint. Blew the whistle, froze on my mechanics...I just wanted to disappear into the floor.

Both calls I will remember forever, and use as learning tools. A tool to not be a tool, because I was a tool with both calls.

The best was the last game of the high school season. Everything went very smoothly, overtime game, intra-state rivals. JV game. The varsity guys were their watching and complemented my partner and I.

Also did my first two varsity games this last year. That was pretty cool!!!