The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Worst luck ever

Three games in a row on my schedule got cancelled/postponed.

Friday, Boys JV for $52. Cancelled. Home team lost some players due to injury, education suspension, etc.

Monday, Girls JV for $52. Cancelled. Visiting team lost some players due to injury, education suspension, etc.

Today, Girls Freshmen/JV Doubleheader for $92. Postponed. DAMN EXPECTED SNOWSTORM BETTER SHOW UP!

This is about $200 I missed out on in 5 days. I really do have the worst luck ever. And the worst part is the two JV games won't be made up because the Varsity games played on, and the FR/JV doubleheader was postponed to a day I'm already officiating.

Anyone else feel like we should still be compensated at least half of the referee fee for games cancelled due to reasons other than weather or other major problems like electricity went out, flooding in school because of a plumbing problem, etc.? This really pisses me off that I missed out on $200 in 5 days.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

So, if you cancel your doctor's appointment a day or so ahead of time because you feel better, should you be forced to pay the doctor half an appointment fee?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

$52 for a JV game! I need to move!
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
So, if you cancel your doctor's appointment a day or so ahead of time because you feel better, should you be forced to pay the doctor half an appointment fee?
Doctor can get another patient in during that time. Don't you ever get a phone call from your doctor or hair-stylist that goes something like this: "Hey, we just had a cancellation, and we would like to move you up to this day at this time"?

You can't fill in a time a game is cancelled. And besides, doctors get paid a ****load of money, they can afford to lose a few cancellations here and there. I can't afford three cancellations in 5 days!
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:08pm
TODO: creative title here

Yes it's annoying when games get postponed/canceled after you've been assigned to them.

No, you shouldn't get a half game fee in those situations.

This stuff all evens out in the end... I'm sure you've picked up some additional games in the middle/later part of the season that you didn't have assigned initially. Where do you think those games came from?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyref10 View Post
I thought $52 was low! It's low compared to other leagues within 50 miles I think.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Yes it's annoying when games get postponed/canceled after you've been assigned to them.

No, you shouldn't get a half game fee in those situations.

This stuff all evens out in the end... I'm sure you've picked up some additional games in the middle/later part of the season that you didn't have assigned initially. Where do you think those games came from?
I haven't picked up a single game this whole season since early December. We don't get a lot of snow that when we do, people start freaking out at 3 inches of snow like it is the end of the world. Where I was to officiate today, they're expecting around 5-7 inches of snow.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Unless of course, you are open on the date the game is rescheduled & the site changes to the Pepsi Center
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify, because I think some are getting confused.

I am not saying we should get compensated in ALL cancellation situations. Only when a school decides to cancel because of the students getting into trouble and put on suspension, players getting injured, etc. and the team just doesn't have enough players to play a game, then we should be compensated.

Weather, Property related cancellations, then no compensation because those would be postponed to another date. But cancellations are never made up and the school would gain that money.

I just emailed both of my assignors to ask them to keep me in mind for future games that become available and fit my schedule. Hopefully I'll get a game or two later.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I haven't picked up a single game this whole season since early December.

Well, the ones you lost that are getting rescheduled are getting picked up by someone, just not you. Perhaps you should pay the school for not being able to do those on the new dates. Now they have to search for new officials for those dates.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyref10 View Post
Man that's more than I get for Varsity! ($40)
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 02:18pm
Back from the DL

Bottom line, officials are independent contractors. We get paid when we we're needed. No need, no pay.

If you show up at a game, and it's postponed or cancelled, then they owe you something for your time. However, if the order gets cancelled, no-one owes you anything.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 02:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You know, there's a contract somewhere that spells out when you get paid or don't get paid. Either you hold that contract (like I do here in WI) or your assignor does.

The only times I ever get paid for a game not worked is during baseball season when the home team fails to cancel and we drive to the field and it's unplayable (or a storm hits before the game starts).
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This really pisses me off that I missed out on $200 in 5 days.
Maybe if you didn't do it for the money you wouldn't get so upset...I'm just saying
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 02:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow ...

Quote:
DAMN EXPECTED SNOWSTORM BETTER SHOW UP!
I hate it when this happens (actually, when it doesn't happen).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)