The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

As Reqested From Fiasco

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 09:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Don't know if I agree with Teddy V on this one. I even think the contact occurred after A1 landed.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is certainly close. I can go along with the call if I have to judge by slow motion to determine.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 09:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm happy with a block call.

I can see why he's called TV Ted.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 10:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got a charge, but it's close enough. I try to go PC when it's this close.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 10:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Really wish the Lead would have had a whistle. Teddy had to look through around a defender and through the back of A1. I think he came in b/c the Lead didn't have anything. And the Trail is very far away and probably would have had the best "unstacked" look had he closed down.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 10:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Really wish the Lead would have had a whistle. Teddy had to look through around a defender and through the back of A1. I think he came in b/c the Lead didn't have anything.
Seems to me the lead should have been on the other side on this one. He would have had the perfect angle on it if he had.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Really wish the Lead would have had a whistle. Teddy had to look through around a defender and through the back of A1. I think he came in b/c the Lead didn't have anything. And the Trail is very far away and probably would have had the best "unstacked" look had he closed down.
Teddy rotated high, in essence making himself a second trail, when he had a perfectly good look at the play at the center position.

I also didn't like Teddy's theatrics on the play. The way he closed down on the play, you would have thought something other than a basketball play happened.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Looks to me like the L starts to go, then sees it's a drive and stays in a really bad spot. He's looking at nothing but the defender's back and has no angle on this play. So while it "should have been " L's call since it was a secondary defender, he effectively took himself out of the play. Pinching the paint can be a wonderful thing at times.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

TV Ted

First, I have a block. Had to stop the slo-mo to get it but the defender's left foot was still moving into place while the shooter was airborne.

Second, I don't have a problem with the way Ted came in. Since he was basically in a second T position he really did have to sell this one because he was about 25 feet away from the crash. If he was in the true C position it wouldn't have been necessary.

Third, I don't have a problem with Ted making the call. In women's three-person they'd have our head for making that call across the lane and for years I've wondered why it seems to be okay in men's three-person. The L was straight-lined. He might have been able to determine LGP but there's no way he would've been able to determine whether there was contact.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:33am
Administrator

My 2 cents or 95%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

I think that we can all agree that this play is a great example of a BANG-BANG play.

I have always been a firm believer that if one calls a Charge everytime on a BANG-BANG block-charge play, then one will be correct at least 95% of the time. This play is one of the 5% plays. That said, I called a charged the first time I saw it in real time because the defender obtained his position after the offensive player went airborne; it was close, very close, but I still had a block.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
First, I have a block. Had to stop the slo-mo to get it but the defender's left foot was still moving into place while the shooter was airborne.

Second, I don't have a problem with the way Ted came in. Since he was basically in a second T position he really did have to sell this one because he was about 25 feet away from the crash. If he was in the true C position it wouldn't have been necessary.

Third, I don't have a problem with Ted making the call. In women's three-person they'd have our head for making that call across the lane and for years I've wondered why it seems to be okay in men's three-person. The L was straight-lined. He might have been able to determine LGP but there's no way he would've been able to determine whether there was contact.
The question is not whether his foot was moving, it is whether his body was moving.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The question is not whether his foot was moving, it is whether his body was moving.
Actually it's his feet...

NCAA 4-35-4
To establish an initial legal guarding position on the player with the ball:
a. The guard shall have both feet touching the playing court. When the guard jumps into position initially, both feet must return to the playing court after the jump, for the guard to attain a legal guarding position.
b. The guard’s torso shall face the opponent.
c. No time and distance shall be required.
d. When the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard shall have attained legal guarding position before the opponent left the playing court.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 01:45am. Reason: spacing
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Actually it's his feet...

NCAA 4-35-4
To establish an initial legal guarding position on the player with the ball:
a. The guard shall have both feet touching the playing court. When the guard jumps into position initially, both feet must return to the playing court after the jump, for the guard to attain a legal guarding position.
b. The guard’s torso shall face the opponent.
c. No time and distance shall be required.
d. When the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard shall have attained legal guarding position before the opponent left the playing court.
Actually, it is not.

Read the rest of the rule. Two feet on the court is a momentary requirement, not a static requirement. Once two feet were down with the defender in the path (they were down long before the final position was achieve and well before the contact), they no longer have to be on the floor. The foul was because the defender was moving forward after they could no longer legally do so.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:12am
Do not give a damn!!

I also body seem to only be a factor if the player is not vertical towards the ball handler. In other words leaning toward the ball handler in a way that it does not allow the space of the opponent.

Peace