The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Fiasco in SD

I have read many different views of the incident that took place between Mike Winters and Milton Bradley. The most important thing to remember in reading these accounts is this: They are 100% opinions, not based on the facts, or the majority of posters, bloggers, or media reps, speaking from having any experience in professional baseball in any capacity other than being a paying fan. Now, everyone is entitled to their opinion of the unfortunant result of the situation that occured. However, most of you who offer your insight on this site, many who have extensive experience umpiring at high levels of baseball, need to understand that those of us who work in professional baseball, as our main job, who travel and work in front of anywhere between 5000 to 10,000 people every night, and many games on live TV, have a better insight as to what is acceptable behavior, and what crosses the line into the area of unacceptable behavior. My point here is not to talk down to, or humiliate any umpires here who work at the HS level or strictly on an amature level of ball, but to open up your ideas of what game management skills it takes to handle situations on a very public stage.
From what we can take from the suspension of Mike Winters is that the League Officials felt he crossed the line into an area of unacceptable behavior. What we can also assume is that Player Bradley, who came completely unglued at a time when his team is in a crucial run for the playoffs, has a reputation that has been earned over time ofr unprofessional behavior, lack of respect for the game, his teammates, and for the umpires, and most importantly, the fans who pay his salary. To offer up a defense of " He baited me" is on the same level of schoolyard talk as " He started it". Not consistent with a Major League Veteran.
The bottom line here is that as umpires, always remember, someone is always watching you, and you must live up to your responsibilities.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Bradley will pay heavily in the free agent market. Not only is he injured, but he's "damaged goods" mentally. How many millions of dollars did that outburst cost him?
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Bradley will pay heavily in the free agent market. Not only is he injured, but he's "damaged goods" mentally. How many millions of dollars did that outburst cost him?
Hey all,

My guess is probably not much, unfortunately. Any questions, see Delmon Young, who threw a bat at, and hit around the shoulder and head area, an umpire while in the AAA level, The next year, IIRC, there he is, at the MLB level, having the last laugh, because he was promoted after sittimg out the majority of a year for an unexcusable act!

The only difference will be how the injury heals and how long it takes. Remember, in the general public's eye, umpires are ALWAYS the bad guy for enforcing rules keeping players in line, or whatever else.

LomUmp
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
Hey all,

My guess is probably not much, unfortunately. Any questions, see Delmon Young, who threw a bat at, and hit around the shoulder and head area, an umpire while in the AAA level, The next year, IIRC, there he is, at the MLB level, having the last laugh, because he was promoted after sittimg out the majority of a year for an unexcusable act!

The only difference will be how the injury heals and how long it takes. Remember, in the general public's eye, umpires are ALWAYS the bad guy for enforcing rules keeping players in line, or whatever else.

LomUmp
We may be few and far between, but there are some of us who don't subscribe to that. Hopefully, I will do a good job representing that part of the public here.

Is there anyone who knows what kind of representation, if any, umpires get on any level when it comes to rules committees, drafting of disciplinary codes, etc?? When it comes to the Delmon Young thing, I certainly felt (still do) that a lifetime banishment wouldn't have been too harsh. That guy purposefully and willfully threw (not flipped) that bat at the umpire. That demonstrates an intent to injure, and any situation like that should be given the ultimate punishment IMO.

However, I can also see the side of the argument in a situation like that that says one can only be punished by whatever rules are in place. And if there aren't any rules in place, someone has to make a decision that invariably isn't going to please everyone, and maybe not anyone. So how does Professional Baseball (because I'm almost positive amateur rules have these provisions) go about effecting necessary changes to the rules that will have clear/concise and stiff penalties for offenders, which would hopefully serve as deterrants to future violations? What participation do umpires have at that level? Or is it just one of the conditions of the job that umpires enforce the rules, without having an opportunity to be part of the process?

Seems that if all parties (Club, Player, Umpire) can get together at a rational level and hammer out guidelines that are reasonable enough for all 3 sides, that would go a long way to hopefully eliminating this mess that they're in now.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 02:56pm
rei

It is rare to find a current and/or ex umpire on ANY kind of rules committee at most levels of baseball.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:18pm

oh, sorry...my bad...I thought this thread was about me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
It is rare to find a current and/or ex umpire on ANY kind of rules committee at most levels of baseball.
Larry Young is on the official MLB Playing Rules Committee as the Umpires Representative.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 01:33am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Larry Young is on the official MLB Playing Rules Committee as the Umpires Representative.
Is that the ONLY example you have? I rest my case!