The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Common Shooting Foul Followed by a Technical Foul

Simple situation, player gets fouled in the act of shooting, then turns around and throws ball at player who fouled him. Bang - Tee.... We shoot in order or occurrence. Common foul shots, followed by technical foul shots.

It has always been my understanding that the common foul shots in this situation would be administered with the lane cleared. Had a veteran official tell me the other day that at least the first two spots must be occupied by opposing team?! That was news to me.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
Simple situation, player gets fouled in the act of shooting, then turns around and throws ball at player who fouled him. Bang - Tee.... We shoot in order or occurrence. Common foul shots, followed by technical foul shots.

It has always been my understanding that the common foul shots in this situation would be administered with the lane cleared. Had a veteran official tell me the other day that at least the first two spots must be occupied by opposing team?! That was news to me.
Yes, the first two spots must be occupied by the non-shooting team... when the ball remains live.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That veteran official must have fallen & bumped his head....he is clearly mistaken. ALL FT's in this scenario will be shot with the lane cleared.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yes, the first two spots must be occupied by the non-shooting team... when the ball remains live.
But in this case, the ball was not live because we had to shoot the technical free throws right after that, correct?
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But in this case, the ball was not live because we had to shoot the technical free throws right after that, correct?
Absolutely
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Lane is cleared if the ball will remain dead after the last free throw is shot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:50am
Archaic Power Monger

8-1-3

If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nit picky perhaps, but the ball is live on all FTs. The question is whether it becomes dead on a miss of the last one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
8-1-3

If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nit picky perhaps, but the ball is live on all FTs. The question is whether it becomes dead on a miss of the last one.
I don't regard this point as nit picky. A dead ball cannot score.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:57am
Administrator

Quote:

TopHat:

A Personal Foul (PF) against a player in the Act of Shooting is not a Common Foul (CF). Otherwise, you are correct. The Free Throws are shot in the order of the Fouls committed with the Lane cleared.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio