The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Technical and Shooting Foul

In an intramural game I reffed last night, I encountered a situation I hadn't before.

I called a shooting foul on a play, and then a player on the offending team picked up the ball and chucked it at the backboard, so I T'd him up.

I wasn't sure what sequence should follow, so here's what we did. I figured since a technical is two shots and the ball, I had the player shoot the foul shots first, then the technical shots, then the team got the ball.

Is that correct? The one thing I can think of is to reverse the order of the free throws.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

If you're using Fed rules, then yes, you got it right. Shoot the foul shots first, then the two shots for the T.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Zm:

I'm assuming by Fed you mean NFHS? And yes, we are.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 07:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Just remember that under NF rules, you administer fouls in the order in which they occurred. That makes it easy.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 08:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
In an intramural game I reffed last night, I encountered a situation I hadn't before.

I called a shooting foul on a play, and then a player on the offending team picked up the ball and chucked it at the backboard, so I T'd him up.

I wasn't sure what sequence should follow, so here's what we did. I figured since a technical is two shots and the ball, I had the player shoot the foul shots first, then the technical shots, then the team got the ball.

Is that correct? The one thing I can think of is to reverse the order of the free throws.
"Penalize in the order that the fouls happened" is one of those phrases that you should always remember. You got it right (assuming the lanes were cleared for all free throws)! Good call on the T, btw.