The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Common Shooting Foul Followed by a Technical Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89320-common-shooting-foul-followed-technical-foul.html)

tophat67 Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:39am

Common Shooting Foul Followed by a Technical Foul

Simple situation, player gets fouled in the act of shooting, then turns around and throws ball at player who fouled him. Bang - Tee.... We shoot in order or occurrence. Common foul shots, followed by technical foul shots.

It has always been my understanding that the common foul shots in this situation would be administered with the lane cleared. Had a veteran official tell me the other day that at least the first two spots must be occupied by opposing team?! That was news to me.

tref Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat67 (Post 826245)
Simple situation, player gets fouled in the act of shooting, then turns around and throws ball at player who fouled him. Bang - Tee.... We shoot in order or occurrence. Common foul shots, followed by technical foul shots.

It has always been my understanding that the common foul shots in this situation would be administered with the lane cleared. Had a veteran official tell me the other day that at least the first two spots must be occupied by opposing team?! That was news to me.

Yes, the first two spots must be occupied by the non-shooting team... when the ball remains live.

twocentsworth Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:43am

Quote:

That veteran official must have fallen & bumped his head....he is clearly mistaken. ALL FT's in this scenario will be shot with the lane cleared.

tophat67 Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 826247)
Yes, the first two spots must be occupied by the non-shooting team... when the ball remains live.

But in this case, the ball was not live because we had to shoot the technical free throws right after that, correct?

tref Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat67 (Post 826249)
But in this case, the ball was not live because we had to shoot the technical free throws right after that, correct?

Absolutely

APG Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:48am

Lane is cleared if the ball will remain dead after the last free throw is shot.

Welpe Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:50am

8-1-3

If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.

Adam Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat67 (Post 826249)

Nit picky perhaps, but the ball is live on all FTs. The question is whether it becomes dead on a miss of the last one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 826255)
8-1-3

If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.

mbyron Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 826273)
Nit picky perhaps, but the ball is live on all FTs. The question is whether it becomes dead on a miss of the last one.

I don't regard this point as nit picky. A dead ball cannot score.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57am

Quote:

TopHat:

A Personal Foul (PF) against a player in the Act of Shooting is not a Common Foul (CF). Otherwise, you are correct. The Free Throws are shot in the order of the Fouls committed with the Lane cleared.

MTD, Sr.