The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 21, 2000, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

In an intramural game tonight the following situation came up during the semifinals for the school. We use the NCAA rules for the intramural basketball leagues here:

Team A had shot 2 or 3 free throws for being fouled while shooting a 3-pointer. Team B was then called for a technical foul. Both teams were pulled off the line and the shooter finished his last free throw. He then shot both technical foul shots. The ball was then awarded to team A out of bounds. This sparked a long discussion between team B and the officials. Team B contends that if a technical foul is called on them during free throw shooting, that team B should be awarded the ball after team A shot all 5 free throws. The rules were consulted but no suitable rule could be found that overruled the standard two shots plus the ball rule. Can anyone tell me if team A or team B should have gotten the ball and direct me to the rule that governs that?
Old Tue Mar 21, 2000, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

You got the call right. Any time a T is called on one team, the other team shoots and gets the ball. What school do you officiate intramurals at? I ask because I officiate intramurals here at Ohio University, as well as at extramural tournaments.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

You won't find a suitable rule that overrules the two shot and ball rule for a T. If you found the rule that says two shots and the ball at half court, then that is the rule you are looking for. The coach has been watching NBA. They get 1 shot and play continues where they left off. Even the NBA doesn't give the ball to the offending team unless they already had the ball.