The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation

Coaching my high school varsity girls in a game a few weeks ago. We are shooting the first shot of a 1 and 1 in front of the opposing team's bench. Opposing coach, is conferencing with a player in front of the bench, below the free throw line. When he is done she runs back to her spot across the floor, as my girl begins her shot, but runs through the circle. My girl misses the first free throw and play continues even though there should have been a violation. I asked the official nearest to me and he said it was the other official's call. When they rotated so I could ask him about it, he said they "absolutely blew that one, Coach". Otherwise they did a great job. Later after the game, they came up to me and we talked. We really weren't sure if that was a correctable error or not. I assumed it wasn't because the unawarded free throw was due to a judgement call, but they were unsure because of the 1 and 1 involved. It didn't make an impact on the game as we won by plenty, but it brought up a curious situation. I get on here to read rules and rulings and am curious myself as to what you guys think. If an official knows they missed a lane violation that would result in a free throw, or free throws being awarded, can they correct that error? I am assuming the answer is no, but I have been wrong before.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
It is like awarding a throw-in to the wrong team. Once completed, it is too late.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Not a CE for not shooting merited FTs...if the official had called the lane violation, then for whatever reason didn't award the replacement FT, then you'd have a case for CE. In this case, it's just a missed call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.