The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
This is not correct. Should the guy realize before catching the 2nd dribble that he's about to violate, and doesn't actually catch or touch the ball, all you have is a very slow and very bad pass.
Saying that you don't like it or you don't call it that way is one thing, but you can't say it is wrong. You just admitted the guy dribbled a second time after the first dribble ended. That is about one word off of the exact definition of an illegal dribble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
+1

What about this one. A1 accidently dribbles to B's basket. They gather the ball with two hands and lay it off the backboard and into the basket. Are you going to call the double dribble here cobra and wipe off the two points A scored for the other tea, by calling a double dribble. I think not. They would have to miss the shot and retouch teh ball to get that call.
He's not dribbling the ball in this situation. The dribble definition describes a player batting or pushing a ball. The pass definition also describes a player batting a ball. What that means is that the official must decide what the player is trying to do as the same act can be considered different things. In this situation the player is not dribbling, he is trying to throw the ball into the basket. It is similar to a player who stops dribbling then tries to make a trick shot by bouncing the ball off the floor and into the basket. He did throw the ball into the floor after ending his dribble but he wasn't dribbling, he was trying to bounce the ball into the basket therefore it isn't a violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A1 is holding the ball. He has used his dribble. B1 steps up and the official starts his closely guarded count. A1 looks to pass but no teammate is open. As the count approaches 5, A1, in his panic, forgets and pushes the ball straight to the floor, and tries to go around. Before A1 has a chance to touch it again, B1 slaps the ball out of bounds. What's the call?
That's an illegal dribble. I'm very surprised that another poster said they would allow A keep the ball after committing a violation (illegal dribble) in an attempt to avoid an imminent violation (5-second).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I have never seen anyone try and make that distinction and neither am I. I'm not going to make a decision on these type of plays until the player touches the ball again.
I find it odd that you have never heard of this considering it's just the definition of an illegal dribble combined with the definition of a dribble. How does one be a basketball official and not understand these concepts? I understand that some may refuse to enforce the rules but usually they at least know what the rules actually are.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

And I have nothing until he touches the ball again...and from reading the replies in this thread (so far), only you and Cobra would have an immediate violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 01:25am.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 01:49am
We don't rent pigs

A1 picks up his dribble near the 3 pt line. He throws the ball straight up in the air, catches it, and starts another dribble. No violation. He may have recovered his own really bad shot, as far as we know.

Same thing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 02:11am
We don't rent pigs

4.15.4 Situation A: As dribbler A1 attempts to change directions to avoid guard B1, he/she allows the ball to come to rest in one hand in bringing the ball from the right to the left side of the body. A1 pushes the ball to the floor in an attempt to continue the dribble. Ruling: When A1 palmed/carried the ball, the dribble ended and when he/she pushed the ball to the floor a violation occurred.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
He's not dribbling the ball in this situation. The dribble definition describes a player batting or pushing a ball. The pass definition also describes a player batting a ball. What that means is that the official must decide what the player is trying to do as the same act can be considered different things. In this situation the player is not dribbling, he is trying to throw the ball into the basket. It is similar to a player who stops dribbling then tries to make a trick shot by bouncing the ball off the floor and into the basket. He did throw the ball into the floor after ending his dribble but he wasn't dribbling, he was trying to bounce the ball into the basket therefore it isn't a violation.
But aren't we talking about whether this violation should be called when the player throws the ball at the opponent's basket vs when he catches it (assuming he's already dribbled or lifted his pivot foot)?