The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampuppy View Post
I didn't argue it... because I wasn't even notified of it. I didn't know about it until after the game when I noticed the names whited out of my book. So I asked my scorekeeper who told me the referee told him to do it. I am going to report it to the state org just so it isn't done again. Thanks for the help.
What would have made this even worse is if the player you weren't sure was feeling well enough to play actually decided to play. Then what would the official have done? He would've had a tough time explaining to you and the opposing coach why a player, who was originally in the scorebook, had been removed and then was put back in the book.

One of my mentors - who is now one of my assignors - told a bunch of us years ago that sometimes we're our own worst enemies on the court because we think too much.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
What would have made this even worse is if the player you weren't sure was feeling well enough to play actually decided to play. Then what would the official have done? He would've had a tough time explaining to you and the opposing coach why a player, who was originally in the scorebook, had been removed and then was put back in the book.
Coach would have been covered b/c he provided a roster with that player's name and number.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Coach would have been covered b/c he provided a roster with that player's name and number.
By rule he would have been covered...but then, by rule the name could have stayed in the book...
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Does it matter if the player is in street clothes behind the bench and you are not intending on playing him because of injury?

Also, if the state backs the ref that's fine... I just want to know the rule for future reference.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does it matter if the player is in street clothes behind the bench and you are not intending on playing him because of injury?

Also, if the state backs the ref that's fine... I just want to know the rule for future reference.
Does what matter? If he's in the book but he's in street clothes behind the bench that's not our concern.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does what matter? If he's in the book but he's in street clothes behind the bench that's not our concern.
Okay, that's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.... I just didn't know if he was in street clothes but still in the book this gave the ref reason take him out of the book....

Thanks again.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Found it. From 2005. (This is Billy Mac's post.)
Missed The Bus - 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam.
BayStateRef: Thanks for doing the research. I wasn't looking forward to sorting through over thirty years of old IAABO refresher exams, and I had forgotten that I had posted this on the Forum.

An important reminder. This was not a NFHS refresher exam, nor was it a 2005 NFHS interpretation. It's 100% IAABO. Was Peter Webb the IAABO interpreter in 2005?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 06:29pm.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Rule 3, Section 2, Article 1, Rule 4, Section 34, Article 4.
3-2-1: At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team
shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member
and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul
(see 10-1-1 Penalty).

4-34-4: A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform
and is eligible to become a player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Broken Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Be prepared for them to back his move. They may want it enforced that way. If they do, and you're in Colorado, let me know.
Isn't the Centennial State IAABO? Are they still using that stupid 2005 IAABO refresher exam interpretation? Even though, locally, we don't follow that idiotic interpretation, we, at least those of us here in my little corner of Connecticut, have never been "officially" informed by the "international office" of any other more rational interpretation. I have never seen the NFHS 2009-10 interpretation posted by JetMetFan.

Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Whole Nine Yards ...

Quote:
I found this online today. It's from 2009-10: Play #4 - Before the game the referee notes that there are 11 team members of Team A warming up. However, there are twelve names in the scorebook. When the referee asks the coach about this, he says that one player missed the bus. The referee orders the player's name and number removed from the book stating that an individual must be present to have their name entered in the book. Was the referee correct? Answer: The referee was NOT correct. Although the definition of team member implies that the individual must be present to be entered in the scorebook, it was not the intent of the NFHS to prohibit the inclusion of individuals in the scorebook who may be late or may not show up. (References: Rule 3.2.1, NFHS Interpretation)
JetMetFan: Thanks for finding, and posting this. I would love to see it in context. Conference call? Mid-season interpretation? Is this in Nevadaref's archives? Can you post the link where you found it?

Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JetMetFan: Thanks for finding, and posting this. I would love to see it in context. Conference call? Mid-season interpretation? Is this in Nevadaref's archives? Can you post the link where you found it?
Here's the link:
2009-2010 Week 4

It is from an IAABO board in South Carolina.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Okay, that's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.... I just didn't know if he was in street clothes but still in the book this gave the ref reason take him out of the book....

Thanks again.
The rules do not address who's allowed to be entered into the book. As JMF stated, sometimes we just over think stuff and get into trouble.

Rosters aren't my business, I only make sure no names are added after the 10 minute mark without penalty. To do that, we check to make sure there are at least as many names as bodies warming up. If not, I will assume players are either in the locker room, on the way, partying in Vegas, or flying to the moon. I'm not even asking.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 06:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's It Gonna Be Boy (Meatloaf) ???

Quote:
It is from an IAABO board in South Carolina.
So, is this interpretation a local IAABO interpretation, an IAABO "international" interpretation, or a NFHS interpretation?

Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So, is this interpretation a local IAABO interpretation, an IAABO "international" interpretation, or a NFHS interpretation?
Just this one IAABO board. The interpreter is Paul Behr. You can find his email contact on this page: http://www.district3hoops.com/index.htm
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 09:24pm
Administrator

IAABO is a basketball officials association no different from any other official association. The best way to describe it is that it is comparable to the California Basketball Officials Association (CBOA). It is a large association with many Local Boards just like the CBOA. Its members officiate at the high school (NFHS), college (NCAA Men's/Women's), international (FIBA), and professional (NBA/WNBA).

The idea of an IAABO interpretation is just as illogical as the idea of a CBOA interpretation or a Wood Co. Bkb. Off. Assn. interpretation. Every Fall the Rules Editors of the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees address the Interpreters of the Local Boards of IAABO because IAABO Interpreters just like all interpreters of any other local officials associations are obligated to issue interpretations that are true to the appropriate rules set.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio