Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ripian
isn't that obvious???

{rant}
Here's there story... U15 Girls game last night. White and Blue teams playing. with under 35 seconds to go the white team is up by 3, 76 - 73. Blue has possesion of the ball in the back court and pressured by white. I'm the new trail and I've got the play. W5 cleanly steals the ball but the turns it over on the end line. Blue throw in with 17 seconds left. ball comes in and the blue player throws a pass that is intercepted by W6 who scores an uncontested lay-up. 78-73. 10 seconds left Blue inbounds, throws the same "bad" pass that agian in intercepted by W6 who again scores another uncontested layup. 80-73 final score. The coach from the blue team decides that the 3 turnovers in the last 35 seconds had nothing to do with the loss, but it must of been the officials. He accuses us of letting the game get away from us, we had no control etc... the game's foul count was exactly even when we checked the sheet so my question to all of you is why do some coaches choose not to accept the responsibilty for a loss? I'll be the first to admit when I kick something. In this game it just so happened the other team played better in the second half where they recovered from a 12 point deficet at half time. Sometimes I just don't get it, but then again maybe we're not supposed to understand.
{/rant}
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 01:13pm
9 times

Winners seem to always win from their efforts and losers lose because someone screwed them. What a crock!

The problem with trying to blame officials for losses, IMO, is that the winners never say, "boy, are we lucky the refs handed that game to us." This door has to swing both ways. If we take it away from one, then we gave it to the others. No other explanation fits.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ripian

Sometimes I just don't get it, but then again maybe we're not supposed to understand.
{/rant}
Tell you what, you explain how when everything goes right in space mission it is a scientific achievement...but if something goes wrong it is an engineering malfunction. When you explain that, I'll explain your situation (course it will be the same explanation).

Part of the problem is you are expecting a coach who cannot teach discipline to his players to think logically about the results of a game.

Sounds like this coach has a permanent case of "losers limp"
Old Sat Jul 06, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I had a well respected (at least by me) coach tell me once that if his team wins or looses by 6 or more it was the players, if it is 6 or less, it was coaching. I like that!

5 more posts to a hundy!
Old Sat Jul 06, 2002, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

well, it couldn't have been the coaches or the players fault, so who's left?
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

I think your surprise at his actions is more surprising than the fact he said it.

Every loss is our fault, it is a POE this year.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Then you have the players parents praising the players for the wins and blaming the coaches for the loss.

Just the HO of a coach who never blames the refs for a win.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerb
Then you have the players parents praising the players for the wins and blaming the coaches for the loss.

Just the HO of a coach who never blames the refs for a win.
I have to deal with coaches but, thankfully, I don't have to deal with parents!!

Of the two, I'd much rather deal with the coach.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

OK, it's soapbox time. Here it is - short and sweet. The main thing wrong with this country is that people are not willing to take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions. They are always looking for some other entity to blame for their shortcomings and failures.

I'm sure you know that when I say "people" and "they", I do not mean everyone, only the large number of people who seem to practice this damaging lifestyle and, worse yet, pass it on to their kids.

I'm also sure that you know that when I say "main thing wrong with this country", I mean besides Martha Stewart.