The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

T after final horn changes outcome

Still thinking about this one a week later....

Youth "travel" league in our area, "Division 2" (5th grade) boys. Late in season, home team (12-1) trails visiting team (8-5) for most of the game. After a strong fourth quarter comeback, home team is still down 36-35 with 6 seconds left. I'm lead, home team player drives from my side and misses a final shot at horn. Ball kicks to visiting team player on opposite side who "spikes" the ball touchdown-style directly in front of my partner, who pins him.

I ran over and asked him if he was sure before he went to the table but there really was no turning back. He went to the table and I told the home team who was lining up to shake hands to hold on a minute. He reported it, we switched, and I asked the home coach for a shooter. The visiting coach got my ear for a moment and in this situation, I gave him a few seconds of attention. He tried to tell me the game was over, and I told him "the game isn't over until we leave the visual confines of the gym" and he looked at me like I was crazy. (In these games, we just stash a sweatshirt and keys behind the scorer so it's not like we run off the court into a locker room somewhere when the final horn goes off.) Although I could certainly feel for the coach I had my partner's back for a call that was correct at least by rule.

We got the shooter to the line and I've never secretly rooted so hard for a kid to miss at least one. Since the home team was probably 6-for-20 from the line in the game it seemed likely, but of course he hit them both and the game was over, home 37, visitor 36.

We then hustled over, grabbed our stuff, and exited. It was a tiny elementary school gym and I guess in hindsight we could've gone out a side door but we went out the main door and had some hysterical comments shouted at us on the way out, including a guy who was outside when we got outside, with his daughter, who was cursing at us but not really threatening in any way. We made it out quickly and without incident.

I spoke to both my partner and the travel league assignor on the phone while driving home. My partner says if he could've rewound time five seconds he would've passed on it, and I can understand that. Kid spikes ball directly in front of you, reaction is to call a T. With a few seconds to think about it, you can probably turn your head and run away from it without a problem.

The assignor backed us up, saying that he has been pushing sportsmanship in the league for a couple years now. The regular season just ended and I think I'll see the playoff brackets later today. The loss may have knocked out the losers, but probably not. (Not sure about tiebreakers in this league.)

So, what would you have done?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
So, what would you have done?
Better that they learn the lesson in 5th grade, than in 12th grade.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I wouldn't lose any sleep over this one, that's for sure.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Not much else you could have done. My take? What's the technical for? Is this act unsportsmanlike? I don't think so. It's an act of jubilation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Who, the official?

The kid spiked the ball *in celebration* of the win. So what exactly did the kid do that warranted a technical foul?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:54pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
My take? What's the technical for? Is this act unsportsmanlike? I don't think so. It's an act of jubilation.
There it is.

Unlike other sports, the NFHS basketball rule set has nothing against "excessive celebration." NFHS 10-3-6c says baiting or taunting is illegal, not celebrating. In fact, penalizing this only perpetuates a rule myth.

Had the kid spiked the ball in an opponent's face, then I have a T. Otherwise, I have nothing.

Last edited by bainsey; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 11:54pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

One thing is for sure, win or lose this kid will never spike the ball again
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not much else you could have done. My take? What's the technical for? Is this act unsportsmanlike? I don't think so. It's an act of jubilation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Who, the official?

The kid spiked the ball *in celebration* of the win. So what exactly did the kid do that warranted a technical foul?
I don't read "jubilation" or "in celebration" in the OP, so I was giving the official the benefit of the doubt. Most times (but not all, for sure), throwing the ball up in the air = celebration; spiking the ball = frustration / taunting.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'd pass on that one. The only thing you can do is try to "offer" more information to your partner.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
One thing is for sure, win or lose this kid will never spike the ball again
Agreed, I probably wouldn't have called it; but I have no problem with the call in a fifth grade game. That coach also learned the final horn doesn't mean unsporting behavior goes unpunished; assuming he can do the math.

It's not like he rang the kid up for untucking his jersey.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, spiking the ball by the winning team would have to be accompanied by some sort of gesture, statement, or something like intentionally doing it right in front of a losing player that could be considered taunting for me to issue a T.

Otherwise, I'm just leaving it alone.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

If team was leading and dribbling out clock only to toss ball in air in jubilation after horn would you T? Almost same act IMO.

Edit : Just read Bob's post

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 01:08pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Snaqwells ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's not like he rang the kid up for untucking his jersey.
Don't confuse the rookies. They think of esteemed Forum members, like you, as infallible basketball official gods.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 05:50pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

180 Degrees Difference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Almost same act.
Just like up is the same as down?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's my question. If the kid spikes the ball in an opponent's face or does something anyone would be able to tell was taunting, I can see ringing him up. That part of the equation isn't mentioned in the OP.