The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Whose the foul on?

A1 with the ball beyond the 3 point line, B1 about 8 feet away moving toward A1.

A1 fakes a shot, B1 jumps to block the shot. Where B1 jumps from ( obliquely ) he will land to the right on A1, but A1 seeing B1 has jumped, now jumps into the path of B1 and attempts a shoot.

Contact is made between the 2 players. Whose the foul on?

We discussed this at our meeting today and we had about a 50-50 split.

I got a defensive foul. Our Interpreter has an offensive foul.

What say you?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

If the defender would have landed clear of the offensive player, than I'd have a player control foul...otherwise a defensive foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Can an offensive player move into the path of an airbourn defensive player?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 10:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Possibly a no call.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was picturing the offensive player as stationary, based on the reference in the OP to a "ball holder" as opposed to a ball handler. (dribbler) In such case when the defender jumps in an attempt to contest the shot and would have landed cleanly had the offensive player remained stationary, the call could only go one way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
LOL! Let me know the next time you make that call.

We see plays all the time where the offensive player pump fakes, the defender jumps, the shooter then takes a legal step, jumps into the defender....TWEET! It's a defensive foul every time.
I agree.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
A1 with the ball beyond the 3 point line, B1 about 8 feet away moving toward A1.

A1 fakes a shot, B1 jumps to block the shot. Where B1 jumps from ( obliquely ) he will land to the right on A1, but A1 seeing B1 has jumped, now jumps into the path of B1 and attempts a shoot.

What say you?
Listen to your interpreter. The NCAA made a point of this being an offensive foul in it's instructional videos a couple of years ago.
At the NFHS level the call is justified by the rule that once a player goes airborne another player who moves to a new location in the path does not have a legal position.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

What say you?
Nothings changed since the last thread. It's still a foul on the defender.

Anybody that tells you they've called this foul on the shooter is full of BS.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

the defender has left his veritcle plane so has no legal guarding position. that being said, if the offence goes a long way out of his way to make contact i may go with a no call. tough one.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
the defender has left his veritcle plane so has no legal guarding position. that being said, if the offence goes a long way out of his way to make contact i may go with a no call. tough one.
Always have to consider a player moving into the path of an airborne opponent. If the offensive player changed directions to go into the path of the airborne defender when they otherwise had an open shot I'm likely not going to reward them with a defensive foul...they put themselves into a disadvantageous position. If any, it will be an offensive foul....but likely nothing.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 01:21am.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I would love to see consistency on this call. I understand what everyone is saying.

I agree the defender is not in the vertical plane, and I agree the offensive player created the contact. But I got the foul on the defense, what do we call on the floor if the defensive player moves forward.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Well, Sh!! if we are going to charge the foul to the defensive player because of vertical plane principle. Shouldn't this apply to the offense too. He/she is not jumping straight up to get the shot off.